Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I downloaded 10.0-BETA2, and told the installer to install on the pre-made BSD partition (where i had PCBsd already installed). For some reason it wanted me to provide a mount point. I provided /, but then (of course) it complained that BSD cannot be installed on a DOS partition that i would have to make a BSD one and make the appropriate slices (for swap at least).
I deleted the partition from the installer and remade it, but still is asking me for mount point on the DOS partition. If i provide / ... same thing as before.

I'm not exactly sure what this installer wants of me, or what can I do to make it make all that it needs within that partition that I provided for it. If anyone has any ideas that would be most appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

hifi posted:

I believe it wants you to format the disk and use bsd/gpt partitioning. I'm not really sure what your options are for trying to keep your current partitions though.

That's obviously not an option (not ready to give up my linux partitions yet). I'll fiddle more with it to see if i can maybe create the "a" and "b" slices it needs within the dos partition it receives.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

feld posted:

Please post this on the mailing lists. This is something I have not seen anyone test. Maybe even just send a PR http://freebsd.org/send-pr.html

I fixed it by manually creating the a (for /) and the b (swap) partitions in the BSD partition. I dont think it was a bug but that it was just me having different expectations i guess.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Speaking of weird iperf speeds:

code:
------------------------------------------------------------
Client connecting to 192.168.1.1, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 32.3 KByte (default)
------------------------------------------------------------
[  3] local 192.168.1.1 port 4621 connected with 192.168.1.1 port 5001
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  3]  0.0-10.0 sec  10.3 GBytes  8.85 Gbits/sec
[  3] MSS size 33092 bytes (MTU 33132 bytes, unknown interface)
Card:
code:
em1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500                                                                                                                                     
        lladdr 40:16:7e:28:2a:bc                                                                                                                                                                     
        priority: 0                                                                                                                                                                                  
        media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT full-duplex,rxpause,txpause)                                                                                                                           
Something looks fishy to me with that 8.85 GBits/sec, but hey ... they work :)

This is OpenBSD 5.5

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Rooney McNibnug posted:

Really just a bit curious - how many people ITT use OpenBSD semi-regularly?

e: and if so, I'm also a bit curious on what its being used for.

I use it as my home gateway. As configurability, stability and power it beats hands down any consumer level routers out there. Cheap old computer in the basement... running like a champ for the last 13 years (i do upgrade every 6 months though).

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Forgall posted:

I'm trying to learn a bit about BSD, so I've started looking into OpenBSD installation options. As far as I understand, they provide installer for release version, daily build of current branch, but no installer for stable branch. So if I want an iso with stable version I have to build the system from source? I'm a bit confused by the logic here.

They provide full system install ISO for quite a while now. Go to https://ftp.spline.de/pub/OpenBSD/6.0/amd64/ and grab install60.iso if you want the iso or install60.fs if you want to write it to an USB. Then just boot with the media and the installation process will start.
For full mirror list see http://www.openbsd.org/ftp.html .

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I have a question about OpenBSDs pf:

I have an OpenBSD pc in the basement that's my internet gateway. It does forwarding, NAT and a bunch of other things. I want to implement a rule in the firewall where it blocks internet access for certain IPs (internal IPs). I came up with this as the last rules in my pf.conf:

code:
table <somehosts> persist
block drop in log (all) on $int_if from <somehosts> to any
where $int_if is the internal interface. Then, with a simple "pfctl -q -t somehosts -T add <ip>" I can block an internal IP from accessing the internal interface and therefore the internet.
And it works. But, it doesn't do anything for already opened connections (such as games). Is it possible to somehow easily drop those too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

code:
pfctl -k <IP or network or label>
"Kill all of the state entries originating from the host or network specified by key." - man pfctl(8), option "-k key"

Aha, thanks. That should work.

• Locked thread