Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Despite having run FreeBSD since 5.0-RELEASE, I'm always looking to optimize my system(s) and I recently discovered two small tools that make a lot of difference, namely iocage and iohyve that I didn't see mentioned in the thread, so I thought I would.

iocage is a classic jail management tool, with the exception that it's written from the ground up to make use of ZFS and libvirt, and it's ready for the change in jail configuration that's supposedly coming in FreeBSD 11. On top of this, it's very easy to use and supports templates, cloning, forking, quotas, and thin-provisioning and all sorts of other very useful things you can make use of for trouble-shooting, testing and upgrading whatever you're running in the jail(s).

iohyve is a tiny piece of software to put on top of bhyve, the ESXi-like bare-metal hypervisor FreeBSD have been working on for a while and which is now a very impressive piece of software. It makes it possible to create virtualized OS' that run on top of ZFS and use libvirt with a very simple syntax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

OWLS! posted:

Anybody been playing with the new and shiny bhyve capabilities?
I've been playing around with bhyve a lot, but didn't know this. Since you posted, I've been playing around with it and it's actually really neat.

Tangentially related to the above image, I know FreeBSD gets used in core routers (JunOS), TVs (Panasonic), Playstation 3 and 4, the Mars rovers (specifically the FreeBSD netstack) and many other surprising places - along with some not-so-surprising like a lot of mail servers on the web - but I've never heard of any cars running it. It'd be kinda neat if it was used there as well.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

In addition to Monit, there are more permissively licensed process control systems including supervisord (which is BSD, I think) and daemontools (which is Public Domain) depending on whether you want python or something which is probably quite secure.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 6, 2017

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SamDabbers posted:

I just found nosh as well, which was inspired by daemontools and seems like it's intended to replace init on the BSDs.
Wouldn't that make it closer to OpenRC, which is done by Roy Marples of NetBSD? I'm confused as to why it isn't in the FreeBSD ports repository itself, and only distributed as a package by the developer, or as a source file.

An Enormous Boner posted:

Do the devs expect "rcctl check $service || rcctl restart $service" cron jobs or something? If you asked most experienced OpenBSD admins, would they just tell you to install nosh/supervisord/daemontools/Monit? Writing scripts yourself seems costly.
Wouldn't they tell you not to install anything and only use what's in base?

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 6, 2017

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Comedy option: Impliment systemd on BSD.

• Locked thread