Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Can anyone recommend a decent book/whatever on FreeBSD kernel programming, or even better, the same with a focus on the network stack?

My last foray into the area was a haphazard reading of the Linux scheduler, which was only possible with the aid of someone's masters' thesis effectively being "annotate the Linux scheduler code". I've got a general academic background in C programming, but haven't done any kernel programming of my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Has anyone been able to install FreeBSD 10 on ESXi 5.1? It looks like 9 is fully supported with tools and all, but I can't even get the 10 install media to boot.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Yep, checksums check out. I installed 5.0 because what the hell, nothing was on there to start with, but same, just tries to PXE boot and fails. The Fedora ISO works, but it just refuses to boot any FreeBSD iso I throw at it.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

So I finally had it with pfsense's weird bullshit: why does radvd use 30 second router lifetimes even though that's clearly not the default in the code and not explicitly configured otherwise? Why is there no good way to fix the config file for it, and why does it stop handing out router advertisements eventually if you try to patch it up temporarily? Why does IPv6 traffic scoot along at 50mbs while IPv4 traffic is limited to 10mbs despite no QoS or anything set? Why do interfaces randomly autonegotiate to entirely wrong things? Who knows. The web GUI is nice, but when it's mostly just telling you how slow your traffic is going, it doesn't help much. Overall it worked pretty drat well, but the little things with no answer and no way to edit it yourself were annoying. Anyway, I decided I'd just gently caress it all and set up everything from scratch on FreeBSD myself, because I had a machine that could use it, and honestly this poo poo really isn't that hard because I sort of do it for work anyway. So I did that. Setting up FreeBSD as a basic router is basically one sysctl, and dhcpcd isn't that hard either. Whatever, so I don't have IPv6 anymore, no big deal. I can get that working another week.

Of course, I threw one weird set of issues for another--for some reason I can't do wireless directly through the new thing itself for things that are far too deep for me to want to think about. hostapd is set up correctly, but apparently some part of the IEEE 802.11 crypto handshake is going wrong, which is weird, because I know it worked once, but then it just stopped and nothing could associate anymore, consistently with the same "WPA: invalid MIC in msg 2/4 of 4-Way Handshake" error. And it's probably legitimate, but the only things I can find on it are some OpenWRT threads from 2012 and God knows what they changed--the developers that were working on it are literally Atheros employees, and I am not quite that close to the metal/familiar with IEEE 802.11 to do the math by hand. I probably could, but it's been a long day, and there are still lots of things that don't work. The kernel dumped a core too once, for no good reason. Really no matter, I can still go through the other wireless bridge I already had set up with no speed loss, and I need it anyway for the additional wired ethernet ports.

Anyway, I hate computers.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Rooney McNibnug posted:

Really just a bit curious - how many people ITT use OpenBSD semi-regularly?

e: and if so, I'm also a bit curious on what its being used for.

I used it for my IRC machine for a while, but have moved back to FreeBSD. Their need to mount a disk to update versions just seemed ridiculous to me.

• Locked thread