Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Three simple questions:

- Is there driver support for the Intel Wireless 4965? Including WPA support?
- Is there something like hdparm, so that I can disable a today's laptop's drive's annoying power management?
- How stable is ZFS in 7.0?

Actually, I'd like Solaris on my laptop, but the inability to control a drive's power management, which is slowly killing my drive, I guess I have to resort to the next best cousin (though I'm running Ubuntu on it for now, since yesterday).

I guess NVidia still doesn't do x64 drivers, either, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

jnr posted:

Nope. They have a list of things they want to see in the amd64 kernel before they can make it happen, but that's almost two years old and I don't know what's been accomplished.
I remember that list. It's sad, considering it's basically just a shim between the OS and the unified driver. Hell, even I have 64bit drivers, under Solaris.

H110Hawk posted:

Hah! Good to know. I updated the link.
AFAIK Ceren wasn't underaged in the latex catsuit pictures.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

That lovely Philips router of mine doesn't do WPA2, so I wouldn't be helped, anyway. :v:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

^^^ Thanks.

whetu posted:

Apparently FBSD ZFS is equivilent to Solaris ZFS v2, whereas Solaris ZFS is up to v7. However, FBSD ZFS has been said by many early adopters to be definately production quality - and now that there's a solid foundation, porting extra features across from Solaris and building on it will be a lot faster. By 7.1 I expect a lot of catching up will be done, maybe by 7.2 FBSD will be doing the innovating...
Solaris Nevada ZFS is up to version 10.

I'm still running build 76 (like almost half a year old). Here's my pool features:

code:
VER  DESCRIPTION
---  --------------------------------------------------------
 1   Initial ZFS version
 2   Ditto blocks (replicated metadata)
 3   Hot spares and double parity RAID-Z
 4   zpool history
 5   Compression using the gzip algorithm
 6   bootfs pool property
 7   Separate intent log devices
 8   Delegated administration

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

HTT is hyperthreading? Might be that. The scheduler is probably assuming four discrete CPUs.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

More like the other way around. You slice regular partitions. At least I think.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Is there a reason why there's still no 64bit NVidia driver?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

How well does the Linuxulator work in FreeBSD 8/CURRENT? For getting things like Google Earth to work. And how up-to-date are the ports?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

EvilMoFo posted:

over the years I have run numerous machines as my router
vmware guest on a quad core monster
How'd that work out for you on long-term? Do you use Wifi devices on your net, if so, how did you solve that one?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Since this is the obscure *nix thread and there's apparent code sharing between BSD and illumos, I was wondering, what's the deal on illumos these days? I'm suffering from OS-dysphoria again and was looking around. Doesn't seem like the build number of the kernel was bumped that much, but ostensibly there's been tons of changes. Did it improve much over the last OpenSolaris release?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Anyone here has practical experience in running a virtual ZFS fileserver with FreeBSD? How stable is it and how are the transfer speeds over the virtual network adapter (using SMB I guess)?

I'm interested in doing something like that. The platform of choice will be likely Hyper-V, since it's built into my host OS (Windows 8). Interestingly, there's a patchset to add Hyper-V support to FreeBSD.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah, I guess that figures. I stumbled into freebsd-virtualization, and the guys responsible for the drivers wanted clarification just last week about some things before moving their stuff into -CURRENT. I guess I'll be holding that project off a while longer (VMware would be an option, but I'd like the virtual server to start at boot before the login screen).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Well, gently caress me. A quick test under Hyper-V got me a sustained network peak of around 30MB/s over the emulated network adapter using samba36. I was expecting way worse. I wonder how it'll perform once the Hyper-V drivers are in the kernel.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

When I suspend my computer, e.g. over night, the FreeBSD VM of mine gets frozen. When I wake it up, FreeBSD continues counting time from when it was frozen. ntpd then gets a poo poo fit because the clock usually drifted more than 1000 seconds. I've put ntpd_flags="-g" in rc.conf, but the -g flag does really only seem to work when I run ntpd manually. Any idea how to make this work the proper way (i.e. not a cron job, ironically)?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

When suspending the host, HyperV stops scheduling the VMs. They aren't even aware about it.

--edit: Something else... Realizing a FreeBSD router, is it possible to configure ipfw/natd to forward all unknown inbound traffic to a specific host? Similar to a home router DMZ setting? --edit: If I use redirect_address in natd, it would still map outgoing connections correctly, right?

natd works fine!

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 7, 2013

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Thanks, that was what I was looking for!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hrm, UFS2 sure seems to be some sensible snowflake. I've had a test VM running here for two weeks in a row, essentially just serving files on a ZFS pool. The system itself is on an UFS2 partition, and apart from writes to logs, there probably shouldn't have been anything much in IO these two weeks. I had to reset my box earlier because a session of 3dsmax went haywire and sent my system swapping like gently caress. The UFS2 partition is pretty much FUBAR. What could have caused this? Files that have been created and last accessed these same two weeks ago are broken.

--edit: After forcing fsck over it, it'S completely hosed. I hope ZFS root will prove more stable to unexpected reboots/power outages.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 24, 2013

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The hypervisor is Hyper-V. The disk devices are all emulated. At this point, I believe the dynamically expanding VHDX file took a poo poo on all of it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The "important" files are on a ZFS pool, and that one survived everything just peachy, despite magnitudes more IO than on the UFS2 partition. It was only the OS that got fubared. As far as flushing and write barriers go, files that were last touched a fortnight ago were affected, too (like the ports I've compiled, pretty much most files corrupted). I'd assume that they and their metadata would have hit the disk by the time the failure happened. Now that it is mentioned that FreeBSD doesn't like expanding VHDXs, I guess it makes sense to assume that failure happened there either way, the metadata about block layout getting corrupted. I'm rerunning the setup with a fixed size VHDX and a ZFS rool pool. We'll see how that goes. It's only a test setup right now, to find out about issues like these.

(As far as the swapping goes, 3dsmax going crazy and allocating a lot more than the 10-12 gigabytes of free remaining memory was kind of completely unexpected. Actually in the case of buggy piece of crap 3dsmax, this should be expected.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

double riveting posted:

So, I figure this is the right thread to ask; what are people's opinions of Solarisillumos these days?
Not sure what to think about them. Initially, after Oracle was being Oracle, it looked like an interesting alternative. However, things aren't really advancing that much. The development on it seems a bare fraction of what happened back at Sun.

• Locked thread