Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
writequit
Sep 14, 2004

fnord fnord fnord fnord
I'm having a hard time finding google-proof but Ironport uses rebadged 2950's and successfully runs a modified FreeBSD on them. Your periodic lockup sounds like heat / component failure of some kind, but you could be right - it wouldn't be the first time a Dell server has had issues because of hardware differences in same-generation-and-model servers. I sound like an HP SE, I promise I'm not.

Any generic Sysadmin tips? I'm only running one 7.0 server colo'd and like to think I run a tight ship but am always looking for more ideas or gotchyas I might have missed.

Currently:

- rsnapshot to /usr/snapshot for a local rotation of backups (soon to add offsite jobs too over ssh)
- cron jobs to call shell scripts that mysqldump nightly
- nightly portaudit | mail
- nightly portsnap cron
- pf w/ ingress / egress filtering
- tripwire
- smtp greylisting

I know there is a lot I'm not doing to secure the system. It's a mail server for a few dozen domains, runs exim, apache, mysql, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread