Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absorbs Quickly
Jan 6, 2005

And then the ArchAngel descended from heaven.

SmirkingJack posted:

Jails are awesome, as is FreeBSD's documentation.

Agreed. I started at a job that runs freeBSD on a few hundred machines globally, thanks to the awesome handbook and my background with linux I was up to speed and comfortably running my own custom kernel within a week.

Jails are so awesome I'm going to pull my linux+vmware machine for a freeBSD 7.0 machine with zfs and jails.
I actually miss the /proc filesystem from linux, alone with the watch command, but other than those I couldn't love freeBSD more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absorbs Quickly
Jan 6, 2005

The Gay Bean posted:

You can use proc in FreeBSD, it's just not there by default. Add to /etc/fstab:

proc /proc procfs rw 0 0

or for linux-compatible proc:

linproc /compat/linux/proc linprocfs rw 0 0

I'm working on production MTAs for a rather large corporation. I can't even install bash without a change control document and approval, let alone mess with fstab just for personal comfort.
But for my personal machines thats awesome, thanks.

Absorbs Quickly
Jan 6, 2005

JHVH-1 posted:

It seems to run fine on all their machines that we have at work. The only problems we have seen are with broadcom network chipsets and you can just order intel to solve that. We get our machines without the OS pre-installed.

No idea about running stuff like management tools with linux compatibility layer though as we don't use it.

Dell has a secret team somewhere certifying the FreeBSD 6.X tree for their 2950's so they should continue to be a safe bet for FreeBSD well into the future.

Absorbs Quickly
Jan 6, 2005

CrzyDTpBoy posted:

Where did you hear that? I've got 2950s that periodically lock up that we've narrowed down to a chipset difference that Dell refuses to acknowledge because we're running FreeBSD.

Well they only started rather recently, and like I said, you have to be a huge customer for them to even consider supporting freeBSD. I just know that they're doing it for somebody, but I've already said too much.

Just stay away from the broadcom nics.

Absorbs Quickly
Jan 6, 2005

CrzyDTpBoy posted:

a nice blank dmesg

less /var/run/demsg.boot

Absorbs Quickly
Jan 6, 2005

So how stable is ZFS in 7.0?
I'm thinking about throwing up a decent sized server and running half a dozen jails on a raidz zfs pool,will I regret this if I do it?

Absorbs Quickly
Jan 6, 2005

I'm Libertarian u rear end posted:

I think 5.5 is still getting security errata.

And here's a bonus question from a FreeBSD newbie; does the version of FreeBSD affect what versions of software I get from ports or are they totally separate?

Totally separate. Ports are their own CVS repo not tied into the main BSD "world" at all.
Just make sure you update your ports tree before you install them, or you may get ports from back when your OS was shipped.

Absorbs Quickly
Jan 6, 2005

markus876 posted:

This could be really dumb / not useful, but do you need to specify anything more specific than just /dev/sdc? Maybe /dev/sdc1?

Yep you would. Slice 1 would be /dev/sdc1, slice 2 would be /dev/sdc2, etc. Each slice is a partition on disk.

Absorbs Quickly
Jan 6, 2005

uksheep posted:

I guess you can sorta trust the one that FreeBSD.org runs

Another vote for vsftpd.

If you're making a jail, look at ezjail, it does some nifty stuff like mount the whole base system read-only (enforced by the host, not the jail), and makes upgrading your jails a significantly less painful experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absorbs Quickly
Jan 6, 2005

Ethereal posted:

Edit: And it appears that is the case...or transmission is using the root directory for temp space (though i know it isn't). Why are they interlinked this way, and how do I fix it?

Are you using tmpmfs for /tmp? Did you make a partition for it?
If neither of these, /tmp is part of the root partition, and I can see transmission using /tmp to complete torrents.

I use these in rc.conf to make a 2GB swap-backed /tmp:

tmpmfs="YES"
tmpsize="1024m"
tmpmfs_flags="-i1024 -S"

season to taste

• Locked thread