Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Toiletbrush posted:

I guess NVidia still doesn't do x64 drivers, either, huh?

Nope. They have a list of things they want to see in the amd64 kernel before they can make it happen, but that's almost two years old and I don't know what's been accomplished.

This is the reason I use i386 FreeBSD on my desktop, for the record. There's a request thread on NVnews from 2004 being bumped to this day but I still can't see it being a big priority for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Sergeant Hobo posted:

Is there some easy way to remove a lot of packages without typing out pkg_delete [package] a million times? My first thought was to go back into the ports collection and do make uninstall but that doesn't work at all (feels like it should though).

You can specify multiple packages with "pkg_delete package1 package2 etc" or use the -x switch and a regex.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

DeciusMagnus posted:

Speaking of Linux compatibility, I use Linux Firefox and the Flash 7 plug-in for Linux in an attempt to make Youtube work. I can see the video but the sound gets out of sync. Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone been able to fix this? I tried using version 9 of Flash but it just crashes on Youtube.

Just install native Firefox and www/swfdec-plugin if you want youtube. It's not perfect and doesn't work for everything (yet!), but youtube plays perfectly and the sound stays in sync unlike with Adobe's binary.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

helixxo posted:

I'm new to *nix and trying to install a driver for my 9600 GT on freeBSD 7.

The newest nvidia driver in Ports as of today (173.14.09) supports your card.

After you install the driver from Ports (I don't know about doing it manually), don't forget to stick nvidia_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf, along with linux_enable="YES" if you enabled the driver's Linux compatibility (feel free to disable this with make config if you don't plan on running any OpenGL Linux binaries)

It sounds like you're running GDM if x "just keeps restarting" after you kill it. You can get to a login prompt by pressing Ctrl-Alt-[F1-F8]. Ctrl-Alt-F9 will bring you back to X, and Ctrl-Alt-Backspace will kill X if you ever need to.

nvidia-xconfig is a console program, and all it really does is replace Driver "nv" with Driver "nvidia" in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf

There is also the very nice graphical configuration manager you can install from /x11/nvidia-settings

I had to go back to the last 169.xx version of the driver recently since 173 broke OpenGL for me for some reason. Fullscreen GL applications were ok, but anything run in a window would just kill X. Google says it's not just me, at least, so hopefully it will get fixed.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

helixxo posted:

Xorg, procfs stuff

There are two procfs entries you can mount, one for the Linux emulation environment that you already found (Again, not necessary), and one at /proc. HAL requires this to automatically mount things, so you'll want it if you're running GNOME:

my fstab posted:

proc /proc procfs rw 0 0

And oh, you don't even have an xorg.conf and are just letting X autodetect everything when it starts. I guess that says a lot for how far xorg has come, but run "Xorg -configure" on the console as root and it will make one for you. Then you can run nvidia-xconfig on it. Don't forget the capital X.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

helixxo posted:

I don't know what you mean. Are you saying to do for "proc" what I did for "linproc" an "linsys"?

Yep. You don't even really need linproc, linsys, or the linux environment enabled at all unless you plan on running Linux binaries. If everything you're going to install is in Ports (and doesn't have "linux-" in the name) you can disable it after reconfiguring your nvidia driver not to use it (with "make config deinstall clean install" in that directory).

quote:

xorg

Check your /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see when/why it's dying. If you get the prompt saying "run fsck manually" that asks which shell to use just hit Enter to select /bin/sh, run "fsck -y", and then "exit" once it's done to complete the boot like normal.

If you plan on running compiz or anything like that tack this on to the bottom of your xorg.conf:

code:
Section "Extensions"
    Option         "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

chrispyman posted:

The only thing you might have to worry about is if you have some sorta custom binary only stuff

Like the nvidia driver :(

DeciusMagnus posted:

swfdec didn't really work out well for Youtube

I don't know what to tell you. It works perfectly for me under Epiphany, FF2, and FF3. What browser are you using?

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
Check kldstat for nvidia.ko before you startx. It should be there if you have nvidia_load="YES" (also linux_enable if you checked that on the config screen) in /boot/loader.conf

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

helixxo posted:

Somehow I was able to fix this a few hours ago but then I reinstalled bsd and I can't remember which parts of the keyboard I was pounding with my fists when It started working.

Make sure you have "vfs.usermount=1" in your /etc/sysctl.conf and are mounting /proc:

fstab posted:

proc /proc procfs rw 0 0

HAL/PolicyKit won't work without it. Then head to the terminal and run these commands to disable to old pre-2.22 automounting system:

quote:

gconftool-2 -s --type bool /desktop/gnome/volume_manager/automount_drives false
gconftool-2 -s --type bool /desktop/gnome/volume_manager/automount_media false
gconftool-2 -s --type bool /desktop/gnome/volume_manager/autobrowse false
gconftool-2 -s --type bool /desktop/gnome/volume_manager/autoplay_cda false
gconftool-2 -s --type bool /desktop/gnome/volume_manager/autoplay_dvd false
gconftool-2 -s --type bool /desktop/gnome/volume_manager/autoplay_vcd false
gconftool-2 -s --type bool /desktop/gnome/volume_manager/autoprinter false

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

/usr/src/UPDATING posted:

20081002: p5 FreeBSD-SA-08:10.nd6
Default to ignoring potentially evil IPv6 Neighbor Solicitation messages.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
Maybe they expect most people to still use csup/cvsup. There are plenty of mirrors for that.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
There is a wiki article as well.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Ethereal posted:

How do you update it? freebsd-update fetch doesn't find it.

Does freebsd-update only track release branches? I've actually never used it.
I used csup (built into the base system, unlike cvsup) and this supfile:

quote:

*default host=cvsup8.freebsd.org
*default base=/var/db
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_7
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
src-all

Then built and installed a new world and kernel, copied /usr/src and /usr/obj to a usb drive, rebooted, unset vfs.root.mountfrom in the loader (my system is usually ZFS root. I doubt yours is.), installed the new world over my UFS boot partition, and ran the zpool/zfs upgrade commands.

Consider waiting for 7.3 if you don't want to deal with this :)

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Nam Taf posted:

Did 7.2-RELEASE have an update to ZFS in it? I don't recall one from the changelog and I am running 7.1-RELEASE so I believe I'm on the latest revision of it, but if I'm mistaken, I'll look at updating it.

7.2's ZFS v6 implementation was improved on amd64.

FreeBSD wiki posted:

FreeBSD 7.2+ has improved kernel memory allocation strategy and no tuning may be necessary on systems with more than 2 GB of RAM.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

raruler posted:

I occasionally have to replace chflags as it bombs out on zfs volumes but I think that might've been fixed.

It has, when ZFS v13 was MFC'ed.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

http://lists.grok.org.uk/pipermail/full-disclosure/2009-November/071686.html posted:

There is an unbelievable simple local r00t bug in recent FreeBSD versions.
I audited FreeBSD for local r00t bugs a long time *sigh*. Now it pays out.

The bug resides in the Run-Time Link-Editor (rtld).
Normally rtld does not allow dangerous environment variables like LD_PRELOAD
to be set when executing setugid binaries like "ping" or "su".
With a rather simple technique rtld can be tricked into
accepting LD variables even on setugid binaries.
See the attached exploit for details.

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=0+0+current/freebsd-announce posted:

Hi all,

A short time ago a "local root" exploit was posted to the full-disclosure
mailing list; as the name suggests, this allows a local user to execute
arbitrary code as root.

Normally it is the policy of the FreeBSD Security Team to not publicly
discuss security issues until an advisory is ready, but in this case
since exploit code is already widely available I want to make a patch
available ASAP. Due to the short timeline, it is possible that this
patch will not be the final version which is provided when an advisory
is sent out; it is even possible (although highly doubtful) that this
patch does not fully fix the issue or introduces new issues -- in short,
use at your own risk (even more than usual).

The patch is at
http://people.freebsd.org/~cperciva/rtld.patch
and has SHA256 hash
ffcba0c20335dd83e9ac0d0e920faf5b4aedf366ee5a41f548b95027e3b770c1

I expect a full security advisory concerning this issue will go out on
Wednesday December 2nd.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
Looks like the official fix is available for RELENG_8, at least.

/usr/src/UPDATING posted:

20091203:
p1 FreeBSD-SA-09:15.ssl, FreeBSD-SA-09:16.rtld,
FreeBSD-SA-09:17.freebsd-update
Disable SSL renegotiation in order to protect against a serious
protocol flaw. [09:15]

Correctly handle failures from unsetenv resulting from a corrupt
environment in rtld-elf. [09:16]

Fix permissions in freebsd-update in order to prevent leakage of
sensitive files. [09:17]

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
In other news, NVidia released a beta driver for FreeBSD amd64, and it only took about five years!

I'm going to try it out as soon as 8.0-p1 is done building.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
I wasn't trying to sound unappreciative. It's nice to have acceleration again.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
The ALSA libraries are available in Ports now. Hopefully that means net/skype can finally be updated.

I have FreeBSD 8.1 running on my Seagate DockStar. $20 is a great deal for a little ARM machine that can run pf/SSH/nginx and that uses 6 watts of power.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
I was planning to write up a how-to and put it online with my patches, kernel, world, configuration, and packages.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

netmazk posted:

For $20 its too hard to pass up.

Especially since I borrowed some audio hardware and tried out snd_uaudio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7mt5SM6cLM

It would be easy to set one of these up with a web-based MPD frontend.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

complex posted:

Did you run into any problems with the lack of a real-time clock on the Dockstar?

It hasn't given me any trouble that I've noticed. You can just start ntpd at boot if you have an Internet connection (As long as you don't forget the -g switch!)

code:
 -g      Normally, ntpd exits with a message to the system log if the off-
             set exceeds the panic threshold, which is 1000 s by default.
             This option allows the time to be set to any value without
             restriction; however, this can happen only once.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Nystral posted:

Can you give me some details on this please? Where can I learn more because searching for Dockstar and BSD isn't working.

netmazk posted:

This would be incredible if you could even dump some brief notes on how to do this here. For $20 its too hard to pass up.

complex posted:

You totally need to post a how-to. This would be amazing. And it has Gigabit Ethernet! I'm going to buy one today.

Did you run into any problems with the lack of a real-time clock on the Dockstar?

SamDabbers posted:

Nth-ing a request for a writeup. This sounds awesome!

http://cooltrainer.org/projects/freebsd-kirkwood/

Let me know if I missed anything :)

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
The driver in Ports (195.36.15) is unfortunately much older than the version on nvidia.com (256.35).

The 256.xx amd64 drivers are actually the first nvidia drivers that have given me zero trouble and weeks of uptime.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

SmirkingJack posted:

Any thoughts?

In my experience, the LED blinks amber when it's in Linux and you have the UFS drive inserted. I don't think it can read it, but it's trying to.

It blinks green when booted to FreeBSD just as a side-effect of not knowing what to do with it. I suggest a piece of electrical tape :)

Everything else looks like it's supposed to. You may want to try 8.1-RELEASE which I will upload some time in the next couple of days. After using it myself for a couple weeks I've fixed a few things that are just broken in the copy you have, like Samba, Python, and BIND in the base system.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

SmirkingJack posted:

The problem is that I can't SSH into it :(

Is there any chance it may have picked up a different address on the network? Does your router have a device list you can check?

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

SmirkingJack posted:

The problem is that I can't SSH into it :(

Try 8.1-RELEASE :)

Kernel: http://update.cooltrainer.org/freebsd-kirkwood/pub/FreeBSD/releases/arm/8.1-RELEASE/DOCKSTAR.bin.page
USB image: http://update.cooltrainer.org/freebsd-kirkwood/pub/FreeBSD/releases/arm/8.1-RELEASE/8.1-RELEASE.img.gz

You'll need to update your boot command after flashing the new kernel, since it's a bit larger than RC2's:
code:
/usr/local/cloudengines/bin/blparam "bootcmd_usb=nand read.e 900000 0x2500000 0x3A9000; go 900000"
I can definitely SSH into mine on the first boot:
code:
[nicole@Emi#/home/nicole]ssh root@192.168.1.116
The authenticity of host '192.168.1.116 (192.168.1.116)' can't be established.
RSA key fingerprint is 9a:17:17:32:9f:a3:06:70:31:82:1c:09:aa:77:7e:61.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Warning: Permanently added '192.168.1.116' (RSA) to the list of known hosts.
Password:
Last login: Sun Aug  8 21:43:02 2010
Copyright (c) 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994
	The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.

FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE (DOCKSTAR) #27: Wed Aug  4 14:21:57 EDT 2010

Heya cutie <3
pochan#
My Dockstar is now my home router / server:

Click here for the full 2048x1458 image.

Only Shallow fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 11, 2010

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

SamDabbers posted:

How's the performance? Can it keep up with a fast cable modem connection with that USB interface?

It seems to keep up with my relatively slow 12/3 Comcast connection. There are Kirkwood machines with two onboard network ports if you're concerned.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
Addendum: The aue device pictured (the Belkin) seems to top out at 5mbps either direction.

I have an unbranded axe device, however, that gets the proper speeds:

I've seen people on the mailing lists praise Linksys aue devices for their throughput, so it's probably just Belkin being lovely.

I was bitten by a bug in axe that makes the interface stop working after a certain amount of traffic has been passed. See this thread and this PR. I recompiled my kernel using the updated axe source from here, and it's been working fine for several hours. Grab my kernel again if you plan to use one of these devices. Let's hope I didn't jinx it :ohdear:

Lastly, is their any way I can make ALTQ account for the 5MiB of upload Powerboost I get? I have it set up with these rules but am kind of a PF noob:

code:
altq on $extIF hfsc bandwidth 3Mb queue { dns, ack, ssh, http, bulk, p2p }

queue ack               bandwidth 30% priority 8 qlimit 500 hfsc (realtime 20%)
queue dns               bandwidth  5% priority 7 qlimit 500 hfsc (realtime 5%)
queue ssh               bandwidth 20% priority 6 qlimit 500 hfsc (realtime 20%) {ssh_login, ssh_bulk}
queue ssh_login         bandwidth 50% priority 6 qlimit 500 hfsc
queue ssh_bulk          bandwidth 50% priority 5 qlimit 500 hfsc
queue bulk              bandwidth 20% priority 5 qlimit 500 hfsc (realtime 20% default)
queue http              bandwidth  5% priority 4 qlimit 500 hfsc (realtime (10%, 10000, 5%) )
queue p2p               bandwidth  1% priority 2 qlimit 500 hfsc (upperlimit 95%)

Only Shallow fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 11, 2010

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

SamDabbers posted:

Yeah, that's why I'm weary about using USB Ethernet devices on CPU limited hardware. A USB NIC will always use more cycles than a PCI/onboard one. What does the CPU peg at while maxing your connection?

Click here for the full 1402x1061 image.

quote:

which makes it nearly impossible to work with using ALTQ.

That's what I feared. Oh well.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
There's a replacement bootloader available for the Dockstar that lets you load the FreeBSD kernel from USB instead of fussing with mtd3 and OS-cycling.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

roadhead posted:

Which Java run-time is the best? I use PS3 Media Server on my box and presently its on diablo-jdk1.6.0 - but I thought I heard somewhere that OpenJDK was better? Anyone have an opinion? :)

The FreeBSD Foundation funded Sun certification testing for diablo-jdk so it was possible to distribute binary packages and use it to build java/jdk16. The java build process requires java.

There seem to be binary packages available for OpenJDK now, though, and that's where the majority of development takes place. OpenJDK is the only one with a working browser plugin, for instance.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
I ran into the same thing. 5.8.9 should build properly.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
Heads up, looks like there's a 0day in FreeBSD ftpd:

http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2011/Nov/452

quote:

* tested against: FreeBSD-8.2,8.1,7.2,7.1 i386;
* FreeBSD-6.3 i386
* FreeBSD-5.5,5.2 i386
* FreeBSD-8.2 amd64
* FreeBSD-7.3, 7.0 amd64
* FreeBSD-6.4, 6.2 amd64

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
And again :v:

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
Here's a nice how-to for putting together a decent FreeBSD desktop system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Goon Matchmaker posted:

PulseAudio should take care of that issue, but IIRC, FreeBSD implemented some kind of in kernel sound mixing stuff a while back that should have solved that.

There are a few sysctl knobs that may take care of it.

• Locked thread