Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Requested username posted:

WPA is considered a flawed and broken protocol by the OpenBSD guys so there's very little interest in getting WPA support in OpenBSD.

What? Seeing that the other option is WEP, WPA is a godsend. Or is this only referring to WPA1, with WPA2 being supported?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Requested username posted:

I mean WPA2. The other option is not WEP. There are many other ways to secure a wireless connection; authpf, SSH, VPNs, and IPSec can already do everything WPA2 can do and more. They're simpler (WPA2 requires a state machine) and they've been around longer. WPA2 is a complex standard and requires too much bullshit in its implementation for anyone to consider writing support for it when there are already multiple tried-and-true ways of accomplishing the same thing.

This is exactly the kind of thing I'd expect from the OpenBSD guys, sacrificing practical usability over an idealist point of view.

I can't speak for its design and or the challenges involved in implementation, but from an ease of use standpoint WPA2 beats the poo poo out of all of those.

I use SSH tunnels pretty much daily to get in to my office network from the road and provide remote support to my customers, but I sure as hell don't want to do the same to get online from my own couch. I get home from work, I open my laptop, I have internet. End of story.

Wireless networks in the home and most offices are about convenience. WPA/WPA2 means I can have friends show up, toss them a post-it with the key, and expect them to be able to get online almost without care for their OS or if it's even a normal computer. I know the AppleTV, Xbox 360, and PS3 support WPA2, I think the PSP does as well. As far as I know the DS is limited to WEP, but that's it.

None of these devices support VPNs or run SSH (out of the box at least) so from a practical standpoint I know which one I'm choosing.

Since VPNs and the like are complicated and not really supported by most devices, they're not an option to me. WEP is absolutely garbage for security, so that's out too. That leaves WPA and WPA2. As far as I know, there are some theoretical attacks on WPA which have not actually been implemented (and may not be implementable) and WPA2 is as of yet unbroken.

• Locked thread