Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
don’t worry they're just replacing it with an entirely different product that gets you 70% of the way there but will never actually make it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...
How right you are. I switched to YouTube Music like they want us to do, and the first thing I noticed is you can't mark an episode as played. So if there's a couple minutes left it'll just stay there as unfinished. Then, when I tried to resume an episode, clicking the play button started from the beginning. I lasted less than a day before I found AntennaPod and it's been nice.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Huh, when was this announced? Did I miss discussion of it here? GlusterFS is getting removed from TrueNAS scale, effective right now:

https://www.truenas.com/docs/solutions/integrations/smbclustering/

quote:

With the current unmaintained state of the upstream Gluster project, consider this functionality deprecated. The clustering feature is scheduled for removal in a future TrueCommand revision.

Further, TrueNAS SCALE 24.04 has removed the deprecated gluster backend. Systems installed with SCALE 24.04 (Dragonfish) are unable to use this deprecated TrueCommand feature.

I find it likely that it was pretty unpopular, but doesn't this also mean that TrueNAS Scale... doesn't scale anymore? There's no replacement to scale horizontally?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Twerk from Home posted:

Huh, when was this announced? Did I miss discussion of it here? GlusterFS is getting removed from TrueNAS scale, effective right now:

https://www.truenas.com/docs/solutions/integrations/smbclustering/

I find it likely that it was pretty unpopular, but doesn't this also mean that TrueNAS Scale... doesn't scale anymore? There's no replacement to scale horizontally?

https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/rhs

GlusterFS is EOL at the end of the year

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Red Hat Gluster Storage may be dead, but the code itself will shamble on and there's a handful of people trying to Weekend at Bernie's it: https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/issues/4298.

As that Github thread mentions, RH Gluster was already pretty far behind upstream, but also RH employees were the highest volume of commits to upstream Gluster.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The last file system converter I remember was Windows 2K/XP FAT32 -> NTFS. Are they going to provide an offramp?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Shumagorath posted:

The last file system converter I remember was Windows 2K/XP FAT32 -> NTFS. Are they going to provide an offramp?

just copy the files to your new storage pool?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A new dataset type that can be used by a kernel or userspace thread to do storage clustering would be kinda cool.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Boy supermicro really took a poo poo with the last few BIOS updates for the X10 series it feels like. I updated so I could use a Broadwell cpu, and it takes about 4 times longer to POST, and often doesn't even attempt to boot, sometimes you can't even get into the BIOS, etc... I had to roll back slightly to even get into the BIOS reliably.

The system is also horribly unstable if it's set to power up automatically when power is applied. I guess some power sequencing between the IPMI and bios or something. Setting it to always start power off helped a lot with reliability, but it's still vastly slower than it used to be.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

just copy the files to your new storage pool?
incredible Mitt Romney energy :v:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Oh goddammit the SAS controller for the external ports in the file server at work seems to have died. The expander box works fine connected to another machine, and everything looks happy here - but it just insists there's nothing connected. (I've tried both ports on the controller and all four on the MD1600, yes.)

Oh well I can probably find something compatible for sale somewhere.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

One habit I never grew out of, even after getting rid of hardware RAID controllers and sticking solely to software RAID, was always having a tested-compatible backup controller.

Even if it can't be run hot-spare (in theory, it can - but PCIe hotplug can be the kind of Fun you get in Dwarf Fortress), just having the peace of mind of knowing that there's a known-good device to test with is more than worth it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
PCIe hotplug aieeeeeee

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

This a powervault expansion shelf?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Moey posted:

This a powervault expansion shelf?

Sorry, typo - it's an MD1400. And yes. :)

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

One habit I never grew out of, even after getting rid of hardware RAID controllers and sticking solely to software RAID, was always having a tested-compatible backup controller.

Even if it can't be run hot-spare (in theory, it can - but PCIe hotplug can be the kind of Fun you get in Dwarf Fortress), just having the peace of mind of knowing that there's a known-good device to test with is more than worth it.

It is literally software raid (ZFS on plain FreeBSD), but indeed. Having a spare sitting around would be really nice right now; nobody has anything reasonable in stock. The best case looks like buying a Lenovo-branded card that's probably a rebranded LSI 9300 8-e and just hoping it'll work.
Alternatively, I have another newer fileserver sitting around connected to a sequencing machine - they won't run out of storage space on the actual instrument for months, so I could probably borrow that one to tide me over until I can get my hands on something proper.

e: Keep in mind that this is academia - nothing matters, the stakes are made up, we have no customers. It'll annoy a handful of postdocs a bit until I get it back up.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Computer viking posted:

Sorry, typo - it's an MD1400. And yes. :)

I was gonna say, that's a new one to me.

Now, guessing just newer faster expansion cards on the 1400 vs the 1200?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Moey posted:

I was gonna say, that's a new one to me.

Now, guessing just newer faster expansion cards on the 1400 vs the 1200?

I've never used an MD1200, but that sounds about right. Looking at google, the MD1400 is 12Gbit with SFF-8644 connectors, the MD1200 is 6Gbit with SFF-8088 connectors. I've got it connected to a 6Gbit controller with an 8644 to 8088 cable anyway, so it's kind of academic. :)

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Computer viking posted:

I've never used an MD1200, but that sounds about right. Looking at google, the MD1400 is 12Gbit with SFF-8644 connectors, the MD1200 is 6Gbit with SFF-8088 connectors. I've got it connected to a 6Gbit controller with an 8644 to 8088 cable anyway, so it's kind of academic. :)

After I posted, I immediately thought "why didn't I just Google".

Yuppp, 6gbps vs 12gbps.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Computer viking posted:

Oh goddammit the SAS controller for the external ports in the file server at work seems to have died. The expander box works fine connected to another machine, and everything looks happy here - but it just insists there's nothing connected. (I've tried both ports on the controller and all four on the MD1600, yes.)

Oh well I can probably find something compatible for sale somewhere.

When our vendors were out of stock of HBAs completely I bought a mystery meat LSi 9300 on Amazon for $70 a few years ago, it worked great so I did it again when we had another HBA fail recently.

They're supposedly "new". I doubt it, but they're fine and working and 1/6 the price so I don't care.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 20, 2024

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I have at least a dozen LSI external HBA's from my decom ZFS server. Full height and Low profile. I believe they are all 9300-8E, but can verify later.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

the spyder posted:

I have at least a dozen LSI external HBA's from my decom ZFS server. Full height and Low profile. I believe they are all 9300-8E, but can verify later.

I'd happily buy one off you, but I'm not sure how annoying shipping to Norway will be. :)

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

priznat posted:

PCIe hotplug aieeeeeee
LBA:0

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

On a positive note, I borrowed a 9300-16e from another machine and it just immediately worked, so that's nice.

E: the old card works fine driving another MD1400 in another server. I don't even know anymore but I'll replace it anyway just out of spite.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 20, 2024

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Yeah, I liked Serve The Home like eight years ago when it was more reasonable.

Now it's like "I REPLACED HALF MY RACK WITH THIS ONE WIERD TRICK."

... the weird trick is a $8000 SuperMicro server that is only available to cloud providers based in Portugal.

Edit: Quote != Post

As a side thought, I have a 19" rack mounted for my network in the basement.

Are there any 6-8 3.5" bay 3U-4U 19" depth server cases anyone can recommend?

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 20, 2024

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

dexefiend posted:

Assuming you're in the US probably the only viable option is a Rosewill case. They have a couple that are 15"-17" and can theoretically hold 6-7 drives (though with some of their cases one of the HDD slots my be obstructed by RAM if you're using a full ATX or mATX motherboard).
4U - 7 HDD Slots
3U - 6 HDD Slots

edit: I should have remembered the case I actually have in my rack, the iStarUSA D-400 series. I have the D-400-7p which looks like it's discontinued but they still have a bunch of other versions, they may not show up in normal searched because they generally have a bunch of 5.25" slots instead of 3.5" HDD bays but you can easily get adapter brackets or, what I did, hot-swap bay adapters. Looks like they even have one with 6 hot swap bays built-in for under $300 which is surprising. The dimensions say it's 20" depth but I'm pretty sure that includes the handles on the front so the actual chassis should be 19". I can measure mine when I get home later today to confirm. Decent enough chassis and you can get rails for them for like $20-$30.

If you're in the UK then ServerCase probably has some Chenbro or Norco/Logic Case shallow depth chassis options.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 20, 2024

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Friend of mine is offering x2 4TB drives for free (just paying shipping) for my first NAS build (specs in earlier post) they're Western Digital WD_BLACK 4 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM.

Here's the thing, he tested these for bad sectors and these turned out fine, but they are still 10 year old hard drives. He's shipping them over which will cost me about $30CAD.

Would it be worth it for my first build or does the age factor make it a bit dicey?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Depends on the data you’re storing on them. Irreplaceable? Eh, might not be a good idea assuming just one spare

Linux iso’s? Send it.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Computer viking posted:

On a positive note, I borrowed a 9300-16e from another machine and it just immediately worked, so that's nice.

E: the old card works fine driving another MD1400 in another server. I don't even know anymore but I'll replace it anyway just out of spite.

I got a 9206-16e that going to be driving this next build of mine. After getting some drives delivered, I decided I needed to suck it up and add in additional drives to each zpool. 4 disk raidz is not where I want to be with 14tb and 18tb drives. Went to snag some more and apparently pricing went up, so I've just been holding.

Moey fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 22, 2024

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
Got burned by Storage Spaces (Win10) recently. Had a drive die in a 8x 6 TB HDD Virtual Disk setup and I had to add a drive to remove a drive essentially, even though I thought I set it up with Dual Parity. I basically just got two spares delivered, hooked up one via SATA -> USB, then replaced the failed disk. Fairly annoying as I had to Optimize and Repair every step of the way. The weird part was, I thought I would be able to drop the spare hooked up via USB but Storage Spaces wouldn't let me claiming there wasn't enough space in the pool.

I realized I may have had some of the Virtual Disk settings wrong, so I backed everything up and recreated it. I notice when I resetup the Virtual Disk with the correct Interleave and Redundancy settings that Storage Spaces isn't automatically giving me an option to remove a drive. I'm sure because it's only an issue if one fails again. Can someone take a look at my Virtual Disk settings and reassure me that I won't run into the same issue when another disk dies? Again, just doing a 8x 6 TB HDD setup with Dual Parity. I know 10 disks is ideal for Dual Parity, but I tested the write performance and it isn't too bad (set the allocation unit size for the filesystem to 1024KB).

code:
PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-VirtualDisk "Parity" | Select-Object *

Usage                             : Data
NameFormat                        :
OperationalStatus                 : OK
HealthStatus                      : Healthy
ProvisioningType                  : Fixed
AllocationUnitSize                : 1073741824
MediaType                         : Unspecified
ParityLayout                      : Rotated Parity
Access                            : Read/Write
UniqueIdFormat                    : Vendor Specific
DetachedReason                    : None
WriteCacheSize                    : 1073741824
FaultDomainAwareness              : PhysicalDisk
ColumnIsolation                   : PhysicalDisk
ObjectId                          : {1}\\RURI\root/Microsoft/Windows/Storage/Providers_v2\SPACES_VirtualDisk.ObjectId="
                                    {8fa153ca-848a-11eb-ba70-806e6f6e6963}:VD:{ef013e94-f147-4239-806f-6dc81b53c375}{4f
                                    6a5c41-bad3-4e9f-899a-4ae82a74236c}"
PassThroughClass                  :
PassThroughIds                    :
PassThroughNamespace              :
PassThroughServer                 :
UniqueId                          : 415C6A4FD3BA9F4E899A4AE82A74236C
AllocatedSize                     : 35987530973184
FootprintOnPool                   : 47989011775488
FriendlyName                      : parity
Interleave                        : 131072
IsDeduplicationEnabled            : False
IsEnclosureAware                  : False
IsManualAttach                    : False
IsSnapshot                        : False
IsTiered                          : False
LogicalSectorSize                 : 4096
Name                              :
NumberOfAvailableCopies           :
NumberOfColumns                   : 8
NumberOfDataCopies                : 1
NumberOfGroups                    : 1
OtherOperationalStatusDescription :
OtherUsageDescription             :
PhysicalDiskRedundancy            : 2
PhysicalSectorSize                : 4096
ReadCacheSize                     : 0
RequestNoSinglePointOfFailure     : False
ResiliencySettingName             : Parity
Size                              : 35987530973184
UniqueIdFormatDescription         :
PSComputerName                    :
CimClass                          : ROOT/Microsoft/Windows/Storage:MSFT_VirtualDisk
CimInstanceProperties             : {ObjectId, PassThroughClass, PassThroughIds, PassThroughNamespace...}
CimSystemProperties               : Microsoft.Management.Infrastructure.CimSystemProperties

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

dexefiend posted:

Yeah, I liked Serve The Home like eight years ago when it was more reasonable.

Now it's like "I REPLACED HALF MY RACK WITH THIS ONE WIERD TRICK."

... the weird trick is a $8000 SuperMicro server that is only available to cloud providers based in Portugal.

Edit: Quote != Post

I’ve been using this short depth server case for a few years now and really like it

https://www.chenbro.com/en-US/products/RackmountChassis/4U_Chassis/RM42300

You need to replace the 5.25” bays with whatever 3.5” drive bays of your choice, but you can cram up to 14 drives of n there I believe. I currently have 12 in mine and temps are great

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Any good rackmount DAS or disk shelf options available or do people mostly find those kinds of things on eBay these days? I was surprised to find basically nothing on Newegg. I don’t want a whole nas, just an enclosure for a bunch of shucked drives I can attach with a SAS cable or whatever they call em.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Talorat posted:

Any good rackmount DAS or disk shelf options available or do people mostly find those kinds of things on eBay these days? I was surprised to find basically nothing on Newegg. I don’t want a whole nas, just an enclosure for a bunch of shucked drives I can attach with a SAS cable or whatever they call em.

They have at least a refurbished Dell MD1420, but I guess these kind of products are seldom bought through Newegg.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
I was going to recommend Orange Computers but they went out of business last month
https://twitter.com/0rangeComputers/status/1763234837366812777

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Talorat posted:

Yeah, you can buy Supermicro JBODs from any reseller, is 44 disks enough for you or do you need more? https://www.wiredzone.com/shop/product/10021250-supermicro-cse-847e1c-r1k23jbod-server-chassis-4u-rackmount-8081

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Oysters Autobio posted:

Getting into NAS / home networking for the first time (though I have built a couple gaming PCs over the years so I'm somewhat familiar since the parts are all the same here).

Here's my setup, wouldn't mind any suggestions or recommendations. The working / initial goal is a jellyfin server that I can share with 5+ friends, and then later explore different self-hosting apps and home automation stuff.

CPU: Intel Core i5-9400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor (Used)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master i71C RGB 37 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler **
Motherboard: Gigabyte B365M DS3H WIFI Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (Free)
Storage: HP EX900 Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (Used)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive (Free)
Storage: Western Digital WD_BLACK 4 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive (Free)
Storage: Western Digital WD_BLACK 4 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive (Free)
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA 500 W1 500 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply
[
** - Bought a separate cooler because the used CPU I purchased didn't come with one.

Not sure yet if the RAM will be enough but it was free.

I'm also still debating what OS I want to use only because I'm also interested separately in learning docker and other general linux-ish dev skills, so I'm debating whether I want to just go with the easy route and setup unraid or if I want to go full-bore and setup something like proxmox+ubuntu or whatever. I work in data analysis / BI, so not overly technical aside from python scripts, so one part of this whole project is also to start self-learning some general developer skills like docker, linux and have a setup for portfolio building projects.

Bear in mind I've only barely touched anything linux (setup WSL2 on my windows PC, have to ssh into servers now and again) and as much as I've been trying to lean into the overall benefits and the whole "terminal master race" thing, I'm hesitant to just jump headfirst into some super finicky setup with such a steep learning curve that I never even get a media server off the ground.

How easy would it be to setup with unraid for now and then later migrate to a "home server" style virtualized setup?

Sorry to self-quote but just wanted to follow up here on my question:

If I have any inkling of running a linux OS off the machine for general homelab use, should I just put in the work now and setup TrueNAS from proxmox? Or can I just go straight TrueNAS on baremetal for now and down the road virtualize it if I really want to setup a linux dev box? If this is a better question for the homelab thread let me know since I know it straddles both basically.

(I mentioned unraid in my first post but have since decided to go with TrueNAS.)

Right now my only immediate project is a jellyfin server, but I do want to eventually run other stuff like home assistant or what-not. I've got all the parts ready to assemble and right now it makes sense to just to go with TrueNAS but I also don't want to pigeonhole myself. How difficult would it be to migrate towards a virtualized setup if I decided I wanted to do that? I know TrueNAS can launch apps and docker containers itself but a big part of this home project build is to also learn docker/dev skills for work and such.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
If you're using an HBA card it should be pretty easy. You can pass the card through and Truenas will see the drives directly, so you could import your bare metal TrueNAS array into a new virtualized TrueNAS pretty simply.
My recent Unraid build I did on baremetal for a while to make sure it was all stable, then switched to Proxmox this way. Since I was using an nvme for unraid cache/appdata and nvme drives are just pcie devices, I was able to pass that through directly as well. Could switch between booting unraid on bare metal and as a proxmox VM with 0 configuration changes, just choosing which boot device during startup.

If you have sata drives connected directly to the motherboard I think this gets more annoying, as passing those through with proxmox I believe will make them appear as a different drive.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

THF13 posted:

If you're using an HBA card it should be pretty easy. You can pass the card through and Truenas will see the drives directly, so you could import your bare metal TrueNAS array into a new virtualized TrueNAS pretty simply.
My recent Unraid build I did on baremetal for a while to make sure it was all stable, then switched to Proxmox this way. Since I was using an nvme for unraid cache/appdata and nvme drives are just pcie devices, I was able to pass that through directly as well. Could switch between booting unraid on bare metal and as a proxmox VM with 0 configuration changes, just choosing which boot device during startup.

If you have sata drives connected directly to the motherboard I think this gets more annoying, as passing those through with proxmox I believe will make them appear as a different drive.

Was considering an HBA card but now if this sort of setup makes it easy then I probably will get one then.

These are really new hardware expansions for me. What do I need to do with my build to look for compatibility and/or performance when picking an HBA card? I'm seeing a decently priced ASR-71605 ADAPTEC 6GB/S SAS SATA PCI-E RAID card but have zero clue how to spec these to my mobo and build-form factor.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
If you have an actual rack, just find a cheap used shelf on eBay. Dell MD1200 is perfect for some spinning disks. Looks like they have gone up in price for some reason. I recall them only being $300ish a few years ago. The SC200 is nearly identical to the MD1200, and still cheap.

Be warned, these Dell shelves are not quiet in any way, and they are power hungry for what they are. If you disconnect one of the PSUs, the fans turn into jet engines.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2046938471...emis&media=COPY

There are a handful other options as well, this guy has a much shallower depth. I have no personal experience on the noise level, but Google/servethehome normally has threads where someone else was the guinea pig.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2843069112...emis&media=COPY

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
So be clear, these things have no size limits on the drives as long as you don’t use the interposers right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Talorat posted:

So be clear, these things have no size limits on the drives as long as you don’t use the interposers right?

From what I have seen, no.

I recall some Netapp expansion shelves having a goofy firmware on their expansion cards where they wouldn't recognize non NetApp branded disks (disks running their firmware), but I thought you could flash the controllers to a standard firmware to get around it.

Just look for a shelf that meets your needs, then Google the model number. Some other nerd has most likely already done the legwork of testing for you.