Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Asked this in the hardware questions megathread and was pointed in the direction of here and the home networking megathread

Ziggy Smalls posted:

I work for a small metal fabrication shop and my boss uses Mycloud for most of his CAD file data storage so he can do the modelling work for our contracts at the shop and at home. However he has had serious issues with mycloud being down repeatedly preventing him from actually working.

We recently moved to a much bigger shop/office space and given the growth the company has been seeing I was wondering if it might be worth investing in a smallish storage server so he doesn't have to rely on Mycloud.

I've built my own gaming PC's over the years so I'm not completely blind to this kind of stuff but if this sounds like a good idea, can someone point me in the direction of something user friendly as its likely I'd be the one who has to set this all up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I mean if a single user remains your use case I'd just stick to cloud storage/sync. There's a ton of alternatives to whatever mycloud is

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I turned the tolerances to low in PowerChute and it seems to have fixed my constant switching to battery issue on my Synology. Seems super strange to just have started, but it seems to be happy for the time being.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Aware posted:

I mean if a single user remains your use case I'd just stick to cloud storage/sync. There's a ton of alternatives to whatever mycloud is

Seconded, plus the fact that there's a business involved - that really makes the argument much easier for a paid solution where there are also paid support options available in case things go wrong.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Ziggy Smalls posted:

Asked this in the hardware questions megathread and was pointed in the direction of here and the home networking megathread

Is this MyCloud the Western Digital product that just makes a NAS in one location available over the internet in other locations?

If so, definitely agree with other posters that using some cloud storage product that syncs to the drives on your machines would be better. How large are the individual files and how much storage do you need altogether?

I don't know your CAD workflow but as an alternative I might also look at something like Autocad Vault.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I see ugreen is trying to break in to the NAS with a kickstarter
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/urgreen/ugreen-nasync-next-level-storage-limitless-possibilities

I've a few of their peripherals (usb cables, monitor adapters) and they've all been well built. I can image the hardware will be value for money. But security wise I'm not sure I will want to trust an early generation from an upstart peripherals (plus one subject to the whims of the China government).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If these places chuck x86 hardware together and then it runs TrueNAS or whatever then I'd be interested, I'm not trusting data to someone who's never released storage software before.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I turned the tolerances to low in PowerChute and it seems to have fixed my constant switching to battery issue on my Synology. Seems super strange to just have started, but it seems to be happy for the time being.

Almost certainly the line voltage going out of spec causing the ups to go to battery. (aka brownout)

Two major reasons - change in power routing in the neighborhood (longer distances = more voltage drop) and/or if a new user in the neighborhood (think large commercial or some kind of industrial type) has a piece of gear/motor starting up and drawing power.

Could be damaged lines, but I'd guess by now you'd have a full outage with that many drops.

AVR in the ups covers most of these issues (hence why having it is good). Except apc is so utterly cheap nowadays that they'll only boost the voltage and took out the the reduction side of the circuit to save a couple of pennies.

Keep an eye on your voltage levels - the ups usually will report it to your computer, and many also just display it. Should be between 115-120v.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Sounds pretty rough around the edges, and other OSes don't work (they seem undecided as a company) so it would be a definite no from me for now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXhrmtNzZAI

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That’s pretty outdated. Users have gotten p much every interesting option in terms of 3rd party software to run on the ugreen hardware.
And yeah there’s no way I’d run their software stack (debian and proprietary glue/UX) but the hardware seems nice for the price.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Thanks Ants posted:

If these places chuck x86 hardware together and then it runs TrueNAS or whatever then I'd be interested, I'm not trusting data to someone who's never released storage software before.

Bingo. There are a few companies that are making interesting boxes using various flavors of standard commodity compute - toss whatever BS frontend they wrote and install good software instead.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Does anyone have a recommended fan to zip tie to storage controllers? I don't want fancy or PWM or style, I want these cool. These are LSI 9361-8is in a 4U supermicro chassis that I thought had sufficient front to back airflow in a cool room, but clearly do not:

quote:

04/11/24 18:36:43: C0:Max Temp is 110 Deg C on Channel 4
04/11/24 18:36:43: C0:Measured chip temperature at Channel 0 is 105
04/11/24 18:36:43: C0:Measured chip temperature at Channel 1 is 107
04/11/24 18:36:43: C0:Measured chip temperature at Channel 2 is 106
04/11/24 18:36:43: C0:Measured chip temperature at Channel 3 is 106
04/11/24 18:36:43: C0:Measured chip temperature at Channel 4 is 110
04/11/24 18:36:43: C0:EVT#1005227-04/11/24 18:36:43: 506=Controller temperature threshold exceeded. This may indicate inadequate system cooling. Switching to low performance mode

Maybe something like https://www.arctic.de/en/S8038-10K/ACFAN00291A and use some splitters to get power to them?

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 11, 2024

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market
My NAS just died. It was a prebuilt thing by a company called Asustor. When I turn it on, the lights on the front come on at first, but then they just turn off. Yet the disks still spin (I can hear them) but the web interface never comes up.

The old crappy NAS had two 16TB drives in RAID mirror mode.

So I took out the two drives from that crappy NAS and added them to an old gaming PC that I don't use anymore. I then wiped windows and then installed TrueNAS on the old gaming PC. My intent was to import the data on those drives into TrueNAS and then just use the old gaming PC as a NAS.

The problem is that when I got to the final step of creating a new pool, it told me I had to wipe the data on my drives to continue.

I then did some research and apparently it's not possible to import data into TrueNAS unless the data is already on a drive that is formatted to ZFS. I'm pretty sure my drives are not ZFS.

I used a USB stick to boot into a live installation of Ubuntu, and was able to see the drives. Under "partition type" it just says "Linux RAID", and it is not able to be mounted and browsed. How can I mount this disk to my system so I can see the contents of it? I assume I have to convert it from "Linux RAID" to something else?

Then the plan is to wipe one of the disks, add it to TrueNAS. And then manually copy over the contents from the other disk. Then wipe the other drive and then add it to TrueNAS.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I assume "Linux RAID" is mdadm. I haven't had much experience doing recovery on that, but if it's a mirror and the data is uncorrupted, then it might not have any problem just picking everything off one drive. Do you get anything from "cat /proc/mdstat"?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yea. You just need to mess around in the terminal to do everything, tho. TrueNAS ships all relevant modules for md, ext4, xfs and so on. Perhaps just not btrfs.

--edit:
Apparently even btrfs.

code:
servo@truenas:/usr/lib/modules/6.6.16-production+truenas$ ls kernel/fs
9p      bfs             configfs  exfat     fuse     jbd2        netfs       ocfs2      qnx6      sysv    zonefs
adfs    binfmt_misc.ko  dlm       ext4      gfs2     jffs2       nfs         omfs       quota     ubifs
affs    btrfs           ecryptfs  f2fs      hfs      jfs         nfs_common  orangefs   reiserfs  udf
afs     cachefiles      efivarfs  fat       hfsplus  lockd       nfsd        overlayfs  romfs     ufs
autofs  ceph            efs       freevxfs  hpfs     mbcache.ko  nilfs2      pstore     smb       vboxsf
befs    coda            erofs     fscache   isofs    minix       nls         qnx4       squashfs  xfs
servo@truenas:/usr/lib/modules/6.6.16-production+truenas$

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

School of How posted:

My NAS just died. It was a prebuilt thing by a company called Asustor. When I turn it on, the lights on the front come on at first, but then they just turn off. Yet the disks still spin (I can hear them) but the web interface never comes up.

The old crappy NAS had two 16TB drives in RAID mirror mode.

So I took out the two drives from that crappy NAS and added them to an old gaming PC that I don't use anymore. I then wiped windows and then installed TrueNAS on the old gaming PC. My intent was to import the data on those drives into TrueNAS and then just use the old gaming PC as a NAS.

The problem is that when I got to the final step of creating a new pool, it told me I had to wipe the data on my drives to continue.

I then did some research and apparently it's not possible to import data into TrueNAS unless the data is already on a drive that is formatted to ZFS. I'm pretty sure my drives are not ZFS.

I used a USB stick to boot into a live installation of Ubuntu, and was able to see the drives. Under "partition type" it just says "Linux RAID", and it is not able to be mounted and browsed. How can I mount this disk to my system so I can see the contents of it? I assume I have to convert it from "Linux RAID" to something else?

Then the plan is to wipe one of the disks, add it to TrueNAS. And then manually copy over the contents from the other disk. Then wipe the other drive and then add it to TrueNAS.

Some quick research leads me to believe that the Asustor uses 'mdadm' which is a Linux software defined RAID. Luckily it looks like someone else has gone before you recovering data from a failed Asustor appliance: https://forum.asustor.com/viewtopic.php?t=12860

Your best bet is going to be:
1. Set up your new TrueNAS server, storage pool(s) and network share(s)
2. Attach those Asustor drives to another PC
3. Boot from a Linux live CD, mount the volume(s) on the mdadm RAID volume(s) and copy the files into your TrueNAS share(s)

And per the above two posts you could skip the 'attach drives to another PC' step if your new server is running TrueNAS SCALE.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

Eletriarnation posted:

I assume "Linux RAID" is mdadm. I haven't had much experience doing recovery on that, but if it's a mirror and the data is uncorrupted, then it might not have any problem just picking everything off one drive. Do you get anything from "cat /proc/mdstat"?

I figured out how to get my RAID to show up, by running this command: `mdadm --assemble --scan`

code:
$ cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1] 
md1 : active raid1 sda4[0] sdb4[1]
      15621289984 blocks super 1.2 [2/2] [UU]

md126 : active raid1 sda3[0] sdb3[1]
      2094080 blocks super 1.2 [4/2] [UU__]

md0 : active raid1 sda2[0] sdb2[1]
      2094080 blocks super 1.2 [4/2] [UU__]

unused devices: <none>
The next step I think is to run `mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/sda4 /dev/sdb4`

But I'm contemplating whether I should quit while I'm ahead, or risk messing up things further. I could just ditch TrueNAS and install ubuntu while using the RAID I just imported.

Is my understanding correct that TrueNAS can not use this RAID at all in it's current form? Do I absolutely have to convert these drives to ZFS in order for TrueNAS to work with it?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I'm pretty sure TrueNAS (SCALE, at least) has mdadm and should be able to do the same thing, then just mount the md device to a temporary mount point and copy all its contents to the intended ZFS target.

I don't think though that there is any way to convert the drives and leave the data in place - you're going to need to copy that data off, convert the disks to ZFS, and copy it back. I guess if you don't have another way to store that much data and they're currently mirrored then you could wipe one, turn it into a ZFS mirror (with only one drive), copy the data from the md drive to the ZFS drive, and then wipe the md drive and add it to the ZFS mirror. Seems kind of risky though.

TrueNAS will complain if you try to create a mirror with only one drive, but you can tell it that you understand the risks and force it to proceed.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 13, 2024

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

Eletriarnation posted:

I'm pretty sure TrueNAS (SCALE, at least) has mdadm and should be able to do the same thing, then just mount the md device to a temporary mount point and copy all its contents to the intended ZFS target.

I don't think though that there is any way to convert the drives and leave the data in place - you're going to need to copy that data off, convert the disks to ZFS, and copy it back. I guess if you don't have another way to store that much data and they're currently mirrored then you could wipe one, turn it into a ZFS mirror (with only one drive), copy the data from the md drive to the ZFS drive, and then wipe the md drive and add it to the ZFS mirror. Seems kind of risky though.

TrueNAS will complain if you try to create a mirror with only one drive, but you can tell it that you understand the risks and force it to proceed.

Yeah, I don't have another 16GB drive to copy to.

Its either buy a new hard drive, or figure out how to make this work withing buying any extra hardware.

If there was an "import from mdadm raide" option in TrueNAS, I'd be more comfortable doing it. But manually, I'm going to procrastinate.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mdraid and ZFS are fundamentally different ways of writing data to disks so unfortunately there's no way to "convert" from one to the other without a full wipe in between. If your current setup is indeed a mirror, the "set up a degraded ZFS mirror and copy your degraded mdraid data to it" is an option, but a high risk one. I'd do it with Linux ISOs but not family photos.

With that said:

School of How posted:

The next step I think is to run `mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/sda4 /dev/sdb4`

Why do you want to do this? That's going to literally trash the mdraid you have.

If picking up another drive even temporarily isn't an option, I would just run an Ubuntu LTS server and manage it that way instead of trying to make TrueNAS play nice with it. If you decide you want to go to ZFS in the future, you can still do that just fine in Ubuntu.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

You could also give Openmediavault a try. It's a Linux (Debian) based distro with a web-UI very much like FreeNAS (because it was made by a former FreeNAS dev) and it should be able to just mount the old raid.

https://docs.openmediavault.org/en/latest/administration/storage/raid.html
https://docs.openmediavault.org/en/latest/administration/storage/filesystems.html

(I've never had to do that, but at least the documentation makes it seem possible)

If you insist on using ZFS, it can do that too, but there's no way around copying the data off (having a backup is never a bad idea!) and wiping the original disks.

quote:

mdadm --zero-superblock
This seems like a very dangerous command, you probably want mdadm --assemble

Tamba fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 13, 2024

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Hmm degraded mirrors? Last I remember, you can create a zpool with a single disk, and when you zpool attach (not add) another to it, it'll turn into a mirror.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Just an observation, but if you aren't willing to switch to ZFS, it probably means you either don't have backups, or don't trust them - so you might also wanna address that.

If you do trust your backups, you can remove one of the disks from the existing mirror, put a ZFS pool on it, move data over to it, and then the second disk and use zpool-attach(8) to add the second disk to turn the vdev into a mirror.

If you're using something based on FreeBSD, you can also use gnop(8) and zpool-replace(8).

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Alright, I had an adventure with a FriendlyElec CM3588. Gather around for a tale!

I got the model with eMMC onboard. My goal was to put TrueNAS or OpenMediaVault on it. The docs lean toward OMV, so it'd probably be that.

This thing ships with Ubuntu on it, but they immediately have docs that suggest you flash it to Debian 11. Weird that it doesn't just ship with that, but whatever - fine.

An important note here. They actually have a lot of docs for this device, but 'a lot of docs' does not mean 'good docs'. This is probably the worst technical writing I've come across in a decade. Some of the instructions are incomplete. Some are missing whole chunks. Some will leave you in a bad state permanently if you follow them verbatim. Some are just wrong.

I spent about 4 hours trying to get this to boot from a microSD card and failed. I tried to follow the instructions verbatim and then when I realized that they were just bad, I tried to fill in the blanks as best as I could, but this thing would just not find 3 different microSD cards that other computers in my house were happy to read from. I eventually somehow put this device in a state where it won't boot at all, and it's functionally bricked. There is some software they include that can address the storage and firmware from outside the computer over USB, but none of it's in English and their English config may as well be a markov chain of instructions - it's unusable.

This has been a disaster. I believe if the stars align, this can be a wonderful device because the idea of a small, compact, 4 NVMe drive, low wattage NAS solution with features is really compelling, but there is less than zero attempts to make this usable at all. I do not recommend this device unless you are fluent in Mandarin and have infinite patience for jank hardware / software. I've returned this device and have a new appreciation for software/hardware solutions that are a little better supported.

With all that said: Anyone have a recommendation for a storage solution that can consume 4 NVMe drives that supports RAID 5 (or some kind of reasonable fault tolerance)

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 14, 2024

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Well that’s disappointing…

Thanks for the info though.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Wow, good to know. I had been looking at some FriendlyElec SBCs, though not that NVME one. But these problems sound like whole-company problems, not just that one product.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Just an observation, but if you aren't willing to switch to ZFS, it probably means you either don't have backups, or don't trust them - so you might also wanna address that.

Or they are using a different mature solution. Not everyone is in the same ZFS cult as you.

The backhand poo poo that comes out of you is amazing.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Moey posted:

Or they are using a different mature solution. Not everyone is in the same ZFS cult as you.

TO be fair...
1) They were replying to How
2) How was explicitly asking how to import it into TrueNAS Scale which is ZFS based.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Hughlander posted:

TO be fair...
1) They were replying to How
2) How was explicitly asking how to import it into TrueNAS Scale which is ZFS based.

Yeah, I didn't even look at the context before the reply, that's on me.

But this isn't the first time I've seen similar responses/comments

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Alright, I had an adventure with a FriendlyElec CM3588. Gather around for a tale!

Sorry about that debacle! But if you or anyone else finds something like this that actually works then please let us know.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Moey posted:

I'm sorry I phrased myself so poorly, it wasn't my intention to come off backhanded, but I can see how I did.
What I should've written is "if you aren't able to switch to ZFS by degrading your existing mirror" - because that's a fairly trivial operation if you have backups.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'm sorry I phrased myself so poorly, it wasn't my intention to come off backhanded, but I can see how I did.
What I should've written is "if you aren't able to switch to ZFS by degrading your existing mirror" - because that's a fairly trivial operation if you have backups.

I also apologize, didn't mean to come off so pissy, it just seemed very blunt when I read it without scrolling back. So I'm the dumb looking one here.

I do appreciate your ZFS knowledge bombs in here. Now let's carry on with nerd storage chat.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

For the NVME side, do any ITX motherboards support PCIe bifurcation? If so, you can get PCIe cards that split an x16 slot into four proper NVME slots.

I have an Asus one, and apart from being the size of an old GPU it works fine in the ASRock motherboard I'm using. I had to fiddle with the BIOS to get bifurcation working; it would only show me the first drive until that was sorted. Otherwise it Just Works, the drives show up as normal and I have a pretty fast zpool on them.

IIRC from last time they came up, there are cheap AliExpress cards that work about the same.

e: This is a completely different scale from the "four NVME drives on an SBC" systems, of course; you would probably need one of the gaming ITX cases to make this fit. Cute compared to a tower or rackmount, but a big hunk of steel compared to an RPi-style board.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 14, 2024

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Several years ago I needed to build a mini-server with bifurcation. I'm pretty sure I couldn't find a mini-itx board that did it, and had to move up to microATX (which is bigger than mini-itx).

It was for a 10-core Xeon server on a backpack frame, powered by an e-bike battery. We used it to record raw video from an 8-camera 3D imaging system.

e: As I recall, besides bifurcation, most of the mini-itx boards had major architectural issues with keeping 4 NVMEs fed. Things like number of memory channels, slots for incoming i/o, etc. If your multiple SSDs are mostly for capacity, not pure speed, maybe it doesn't matter.

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 14, 2024

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

ryanrs posted:

Several years ago I needed to build a mini-server with bifurcation. I'm pretty sure I couldn't find a mini-itx board that did it, and had to move up to microATX (which is bigger than mini-itx).

It was for a 10-core Xeon server on a backpack frame, powered by an e-bike battery. We used it to record raw video from an 8-camera 3D imaging system.

e: As I recall, besides bifurcation, most of the mini-itx boards had major architectural issues with keeping 4 NVMEs fed. Things like number of memory channels, slots for incoming i/o, etc. If your multiple SSDs are mostly for capacity, not pure speed, maybe it doesn't matter.

Oh neat, that's a much more reasonable use than mine, which boils down to "this SATA controller seems to be failing and there's a sale on NVME drives".

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I am putting together a TrueNAS build that will replace my two existing, aging TrueNAS servers using eBay as the source and I have a question about disk performance for a larger set of SSDs.

Right now I have:
SAN1 with 16 Evo 860 500gb drives in RAID-Z2 and four 1TB 970 Pro NVME disks in RAID-10
SAN2 with 8 Hitachi 4TB spinners in RAID-Z

These are both on Supermicro X9SRL-F motherboards / 128GB Registered ECC RAM / E5-2667 8-core 3.3GHz CPUs / IBM M1015 LSI SAS9220-8i HBAs:

I'd repurpose one of the motherboards/CPU/RAM and ditch the rest of the hardware and go for a more simple setup:

48 1TB 870 Evo SSDs in RAID-Z2 using my venerable 4U Server case with 2x ICY DOCK 24-in 3 drive bays and three LSI 9300-16i HBAs

While I've run an enterprise SAN with hundreds of disks before, but never something based on TrueNAS.

My question is: how do I set up the disks to minimize the impact of drive failures while still preserving a modicum of performance?

This device will be running a combination of AD-based SMB, NFS, and iSCSI shares. Do I just create a monster RAID-Z3 pool and create a bunch of chares for various tasks? Do I create multiple pools based on share type? What are the best practices here?

Do I ditch all of this as well as my 3-node vmware cluster and create a 4-node ProxMox cluster with Ceph?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Agrikk posted:

Do I ditch all of this as well as my 3-node vmware cluster and create a 4-node ProxMox cluster with Ceph?

I'd do this. But you need SSDs with power loss protection :v:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Wibla posted:

I'd do this. But you need SSDs with power loss protection :v:

I’m less worried about power loss protection as I’ve a full grip of UPSes with network shutdown configured. (Does ProxMox have a network shutdown agent for APC UPSes?)

But what is the compelling reason from moving away from ESX to ProxMox? I get free demo licenses from a contact at VMware so licensing isn’t an issue so besides price, why switch?

E: this is probably a discussion for a virtualization thread.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
There's no reason to switch unless you want to learn something else or lose access to free licenses. For most of us home gamers both are strong reasons right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

With ZFS, do mirrored vdevs need to be the same size? Let's say I have three mirrored vdevs setup like so:

vdev1: 2x 8 TB drives
vdev2: 2x 10 TB drives
vdev3: 2x 2 TB drives

I would end up with a single 20 TB pool. Right?

Also, it's not a problem to add a new pair of drives as a mirrored vdev after the pool has been created and is in use, correct? I understand that you aren't really meant to add drives to expand the size of a pool in a RAIDZ setup, but if I'm just using mirrored pairs of drives, adding a new vdev is a simple and expected use case, right?

Sorry for the newbie questions. I'm slowly going through ZFS documentation, but there's a lot of it and I'm dumb. :(

mekyabetsu fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 16, 2024