Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
I'm looking for a BYOD NAS box with 4-5 bays and the ability to transfer files over eSata. Do I need to just suck it up and go DAS to my main PC or is there a NAS box with eSata for transfer? All the NAS boxes I've seen have eSata for hooking up another drive,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

toliman posted:

you'd want the drobo. it's not that cheap, or good for NAS, but it's fast and will do esata-out, or, i believe the iscsi model thecus N5200 has esata-out for SAN, iSCSI would be easier to suit the desire for pure speed, or the drobo.

Drobo 1.0 is USB 2.0 and Drobo 2.0 is Firewire 800. I wish Drobo had eSata - it'd make sense. As far as I can tell with a lot of googling, the eSata port on the Thecus N5200 is only used for 'future expansion', meaning hooking up another drive to the NAS for more storage space as opposed to hooking it up to your PC and transferring files.

So far I'm looking at:

DAS Rig 1 (Multilane)
======================
MST4ML-B = Mini Storage Tower with 4X Multilane interface, black - Connects up to 4 drives to system via 1 Infiniband Multilane 4X cable. Includes 4 Internal SATA data cables (AASAIDC18I), power cord, 4 4P-15 pins SATA power connectors (AA4PSAPC), mounting screws, and user guide. - $129.95

4x Multilane bridge for SATA controller = Designed to convert 4 internal SATA ports to external multilane connector for Infiniband cabling system. Support connection of 4 devices via 1 cable. (model: AD4SAML-PCI) click to check price and shop online - $29
More Info...Hard Drives.

Drive Bay: 3 x 5.25Bay for 4 x 3.5" HDD hot swapable. $99.99

AAIB4C150 1Infiniband 4X MultiLane eSATA cable, 150 cm $59.95

areca ARC-1210 PCI-Express x8 SATA II Controller Card RAID 0/1/1E/3/5 JBOD - Retail $299.99

$619.87, Max of 4 Drives, must use 1.5 TB to get max cap ($4190.95 GB). 1TB cap results in 2793.96 useable GB. Highest possible transfer rates? Not portable in any sense. Then just share the drive over GigE.

Or if I wanted to go Super NAS Link Aggregation + Quad Lan + HP Procurve 1800-24G = Win
=============================================================

HP Procurve 1800-24G

ASUS P5BV-C/4L LGA 775 Intel 3200 ATX Server Motherboard - $209

LSI LSI00005-F 64-bit, 133MHz PCI-X SATA II MegaRAID 300-8X Kit 8 Port SATA/300 128MB RAID 0/1/5/10/50 - Retail $399.99

Athena Power CA-SWH01BH8 Black Steel Pedestal Server Case 2 External 5.25" Drive Bays - Retail $241.99

Of course, you'd have to toss in some ram (FBDIMMS, $90 for 2x 2GB) and a proc (2.0ghz dual core for about $70 if you were cheapo). Other then that, slap in 8 or so drives, configure a raid 5 setup with a linux distro and then hook up all four ports to your Procurve and away you go with Link Aggregation. If the chipset supports it, which I can't find but it'd be retarded if it didn't.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

japtor posted:

Speaking of non existing equipment, does anyone know of a 4 SATA drive to FW800 (and bonus points for USB and eSATA PM) bridge board? Closest things I've found are 2 drive ones (that have all the interfaces) or an old 4 drive IDE-FW400 one (or eSATA/USB only ones). Is daisy chaining or separate cables/hub my only options? I'm going to be doing a software RAID of some sort so it's not a huge deal, but I'd like to keep things as simple as possible.

Pretty sure he achieved this here

quote:

This bridgeboard contains dual SATA links and provides a bridge to FireWire 800 (backwards-compatible with FW400) and USB 2.0. The controller is an Oxford 924 chipset, which I highly recommend. There are competing bridgeboards out there based on the Initio chipset, but given my past experiences with them, I'd say avoid them at all costs.

The nice thing about this bridgeboard is that it appears to offer a SATA mode that will simply make the two ports nodal -- that is to say, you can take the SATA out from the Areca controller, connect it to the bridgeboard, and then take a second SATA to eSATA cable and hook it to the remaining port. This lets you avoid having to use the IDE output on the controller for your bridgeboard. Disclaimer: I have not tested this feature, and can't guarantee that this bridgeboard will function the way I've described this setup, though the documentation suggests it should. Don't blame me if the implementation I described doesn't actually work. If you want to play it safe, either don't use eSATA in conjunction with a SATA bridgeboard, or get an IDE bridgeboard to handle the FireWire/USB function.

Other options for boards here include NAS bridgeboards (also available on the DatOptic site).

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
If you check it on the SmallNetBuilder.com charts you will see it has throughput of less then 6MB per second. I have one and regret not getting something that transfers files a little faster (slow streaming, etc). I'd stay the gently caress away from them if I were you.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
Tried this in the parts picking Megathread but didn't get any response:

Looking at getting this LSI 8344ELP MEGARAID SAS CONTROLLER, a RAID controller card that is PCI-E x4 and supports up to 8 SAS/SATA devices. It also has 128MB or RAM, and a Intel© IOP333 I/O Processor with the ability to rebuild arrays on the fly and poo poo. For $140 it is better looking then any card I have seen on Newegg with the same feature set (supports 8x SATA ports, HW Raid, etc). I would like to run a RAID 5 array, I believe.

I'm planning on getting some SAS-SATA 4x adapter cables and hooking up 5-7 of my 1TB hard drives and making a file storage tower - the eSATA enclosure I got was just unsat. That and I already have everything but the processor for the file server setup and I think it'd be cool host games/stream movies from. Plus I don't think that watercool setup has much resale value.

Is there a better card out there similarly priced? Is there a reason this card is so cheap (IE it is a piece of poo poo)? Am I dumb for even considering a HW Raid setup and I should just get a copy of Windows Server 2008?

(I don't really want to do software RAID, have 0 linux skill for a RAID-Z setup, I don't know how to grow my pool, sorry)

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

H110Hawk posted:

The LSI Megaraid series, and their straight up LSI SAS HBA's are all pretty solid. That is a pretty amazing pricepoint.

Thank you goon sir for giving me an answer! I am returning the eSata enclosure I bought that was almost $100 more and going to be buying one of these cards once the RMA hits.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

iluvpr0n posted:

Set it and forget it! (There are better links out there, but this should give a start. Do searches for WDTLER and you'll find plenty of info.)

(Not that I've done it myself, but I'm planning to get 4 WD Green 1.5tb drives for an NAS and have been lead to believe this will work fine.)

Do they have these for Samsung drives?

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Terpfen posted:

I don't want to replace my router, and using an access point would just add complexity.

I think I'm just going to save up a little bit and get the DNS-321. It's pretty much impossible to get a cheap external Ethernet solution.

http://www.pacificgeek.com/product.asp?c=236&s=1294&ID=106473&P=F

http://www.xpcgear.com/cswsinasu2.html

??

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
Also I would like to say STAY THE gently caress AWAY FROM THE WD MYWORLDBOOK II. I had one (the 2TB NAS version) and it is a flaming piece of poo poo that caps out at about 4MB/s. Yeah. You can see the benchmark for it at http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/component/option,com_nas/Itemid,190/

Sorry, but seriously I was glad when I sold that enclosure (minus drives) for $45. It was OK other then being a slow peice of poo poo that barely streamed 700MB DVD rips without tons of buffering.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Terpfen posted:

Their review is pretty kind:

Also, it is reveiwing the new "white bar" WDG2NC10000, not the older
WDG1NC5000 "blue rings". Here's a quote about the one I had that sums it up

quote:

"I bought this thing on a whim at Costco. What a mistake that was.

It is *loud*.
It is slow.
Deceptively advertised as gigabit while onboard controller is 100Mb.
The MioNet bundled software is garbage.

In short, you can do a lot better than this with only a little research. Do yourself a favor! "

quote:

"The next process was copying a 150GB drive from my directly connected MyBook drive to the World Edition. This takes about 2 hours on my directly connected drives. It takes about 8 - 9 hours with a gigabit ethernet connection from the computer through the router to the World Book. While this is a long time, it is not something that will be done more than once (especially with the raid 1 formatting.) After this the World Book functions like my other directly connected MyBook drives"

It took me a little over 48 hours to pull 1.76TB off the drive.

Anyway, maybe the new model is all great, but I am staying away from that particular model for a long time.

edit: Here is the review of my unit: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30140/75/ (see page 3, performance of 4.9/MBs in 10/100 and 6.1MB/s in 10/100/1000

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Doh004 posted:

I'm running the Windows 7 Ultimate RC build. And I believe the software is the Intel Storage Matrix 8.0

What MB are you using?

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
Found this, does it apply to you?

http://communities.intel.com/thread/5036?start=0&tstart=0

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

The_Frag_Man posted:

You're right, I got the cables I need for 13 bucks each. Cheers.

Do any of you guys know where I could get something like this for cheap:
http://www.pc-pitstop.com/sas_cables_adapters/AD8788-4.asp

I don't want to pay 100 bucks for a pci slot pass-through.

http://www.google.com/products?q=External+8088+to+Internal+8087&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hl=en&scoring=p ??

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Xenomorph posted:

Is there a recommendation for server-grade NAS?

I was look at some on Newegg. Some of the units by "Thecus", Buffalo, D-Link, and Iomega seemed relatively cheap - but how reliable are they?

I'm guessing we'd want a 2U rackmount NAS. It would get hit around 2 TB of data throughput a day.

Our current setup is 4 year old Fibre Channel Apple Xraids. They are loaded with old ATA drives (not SATA or SCSI). Of course, finding replacement 750 Gig ATA drives is proving too difficult, and one of our labs is configured in such a way that buying a whole new server+NAS would be easier than trying to clean up their old setup.

The existing Fibre Channel cards in each of our servers cost over a grand, and while they are "fast" in theory, everything writing to the drives is still limited to 100-1000 Mbs Ethernet. So why would we bother with Fibre Channel on new servers?

I'm guessing going with Ethernet vs Fibre for NAS may not make a big impact.

Maybe this thread is more to your needs? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2943669

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
Hey, got some trouble. I'm running a MegaRAID SAS 8344ELP card and just got an alert - two of my drives are marked 'missing' (two WD10EACS-00Z) and when I reboot I'm getting 'Foreign Config found' when the array initializes. Any ideas? I'm running a RAID5 with 4 1TB drives and a few others on JBOD.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, I knew about the Norco rack mount cases. I don't really have a need for rack-mount though.

Currently I've got everything in this Chieftec case along with a thingamajig to convert 3 of the 5.25" bays into five 3.5" bays. It's an awesome case...especially for the $100 I paid for it.

I basically just want a case that I can fit a lot of drives in. I don't have a set number in mind really...maybe at least 20? Just the more bays I can get for the dollar, the better.

I'll have to put some thought into ways to mod this case to hold more drives. There's room...

http://nexgadget.com/2010/10/21/70-terabyte-homemade-computer-can-hold-24-million-songs-diy/ ???

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
Coolermaster and Xigmatek both have relatively cheap ($25ish) 4in3 units. You need a screwdriver with a magnetic head to install drives in the Xigmatek one, (I own one) but that shouldn't be too much of a problem in the long term.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

DNova posted:

N40l for $179.99 shipped!
http://www.pcconnectionexpress.com/...a2a5d49a2880a2b

Link is broken now.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Prefect Six posted:

Just came back up!!! Nabbed one!

Ugh, this was the perfect storm. Newegg had 2TB Samsung EcoGreen F4's for $40 off today so I went ahead and picked up the drives I needed as well. Looking forward to getting this sucker set up although I'm starting to worry where in god's name I'll put it.

Down again.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
Camelegg is goon developed and he has one for Amazon also: http://camelcamelcamel.com/

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Fangs404 posted:

I'm gonna put the 250gb drive that comes with my N40L into the 5.25" bay, but I'd like to secure it. Do you guys know of any 3.5"-in-5.25" devices?

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Universal-Mounting-Bracket-BRACKET/dp/B0001UZQWG

Or google "5.25 to 3.5 adapter". The ones I lined are cheap as poo poo but if you forsee needing to change the drive out it's a bit of a PITA.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

evil_bunnY posted:

After 10 years your array will fit on a single new drive and you won't be able to find the old drive tech anyway.

IE, in 2002 they released the first SATA 1 drive and broke the 137 GB address barrier - now we're rocking SATA III and 4TB drives are main stream.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
Sounds like a Mod Challenge to me!

Edit for content: I think the discreet videocard alone vs integrated would be one source of watts he isn't using.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Shane-O-Mac posted:

Thanks for the help folks. I still need to research the power consumption of my tower but I'm a little wiser now.

Edit: Speaking of, does anybody know where to find power usage stats for my computer? I guess one way of doing it is to actually set it up and install some power monitoring program.

IDK about stats, but this will tell you how much power your tower is using

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
Turn it into an external that you use to loan out to friends. People never take as good of care of your poo poo as you do, so when it comes up lost/broken/stolen you can shrug it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
Is there a software solution that is similar to Plex/Emby/Jellyfin (scrapes media information) but doesn't stream or transcode, just lets me download? Ideally it'd set up a web server, scrape a media folder and then generate a website where people on my network can click and download. I'm doing a summer camp like setup with limited connectivity but a decent LAN and there's no way I can get hardware to support 50+ people all transcoding and streaming.

I've done some research, Kodi looks like it can scrape from web servers but you'd have to configure everyone's client individually to access the http address and then each Kodi site would scrape-- looking for the opposite. I know I could just do a directory index but that doesn't give anyone an idea of what a movie would be about etc..

Anyone know of a solution? Pretty niche I know. Thanks for any suggestions!