Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
Can someone convince me to move from WHS to freebsd7 + zfs? (or perhaps a linux distro with lvm or whatever its called).

I have a fairly powerful pc which I use mostly for sharing videos to about 5 PCs. 2x 500gb 1x 300gb, I'd like to be able to expand as I need it (i think i'm using about 800gig so far). I'm hating the idea of limiting a folder to only one hard drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
How do you guys with raid5 handle upgrading storage :S From what I can see you either have to spend lots now to buy more than you need, or pay more later when you upgrade because you didn't buy enough. Doesn't that throw anyone off?

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
Can anyone provide a link with some info on resizing raid-z arrays?

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that you can upgrade drives, you just can't add them.

Possibly related question, how does raidz work with different sized drives?

vanjalolz fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jul 17, 2008

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
Thats frustrating :/ I guess if you want real hardware redundancy you need to buy your disks up front. All well and great until you have people like with me with a 300, 500 and a 700 (and one dead 500)...

How good/reliable is the freebsd zfs implementation? I'm much happier working in BSD (solaris is weird, i'm trying it in a vm) but I'd put in the effort to learn it if it meant less problems down the road.

quote:

# What can I do if ZFS panics on every boot?

ZFS is designed to survive arbitrary hardware failures through the use of redundancy (mirroring or RAID-Z). Unfortunately, certain failures in non-replicated configurations can cause ZFS to panic when trying to load the pool. This is a bug, and will be fixed in the near future (along with several other nifty features, such as background scrubbing). In the meantime, if you find yourself in the situation where you cannot boot due to a corrupt pool, do the following:

1. boot using '-m milestone=none'
2. # mount -o remount /
3. # rm /etc/zfs/zpool.cache
4. # reboot

This will remove all knowledge of pools from your system. You will have to re-create your pool and restore from backup.

But this is my backup! :psyduck:

And thats zfs on sun! :S Might be old though...

vanjalolz fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 17, 2008

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha

Toiletbrush posted:

In what ways would it be weird? It sure can't be the user interface, since it's the same in Linux and BSD, since it's Gnome.

Nevada stuff...
You've pretty much pin pointed the problem. I'm not interested in the GUI, and it looks like rear end in my VMware atm, but in general utilities and config file placement is weird in solaris. Not to mention the different naming conventions! I have build 93 of *something*. I thought I was getting open solaris, but eventually I found my self on the sun site and I got a 2.3gig-ish dvd image. sol-nv-b93-x86-dvd.iso

quote:

Right now, if you're serious about longterm ZFS usage, Solaris is the way to go, until at least that Pawel guy removes the experimental status of the port.
Yeah, that's how I feel about it.

The solaris installer had an option for installing on zfs or ufs, i picked zfs to try it. Later it asked me to add some disks which it would mirror, so I have 2x 8gig disks mirrored and that part runs ok. I understand that raidz booting is tricky, and I'm not too interested in booting my system from a raidz. I intend to run my system from its own drive.

Memory requirements are a bit worrying, but I'm on 2gb of memory now which seems like a nice amount considering how light my usage will be.

I think I've got my self in a corner with upgradability. My drives are all retarded sizes(p300, s500, s750) and I don't have that many ports (2 sata, 2 pata, 2 sata on pci card).

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
I wish there was a way to add a parity drive to an existing 3 drive array in zfs. Would make migration so much easier :(

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha

vanjalolz posted:

I wish there was a way to add a parity drive to an existing 3 drive array in zfs. Would make migration so much easier :(

Extending on this question, what happens if I make a 4 drive raidz array and then take down the parity drive, can I still use the array? Can I write to it? If I readd the drive, will it catch up automatically? If so, what happens if I add a clean drive, can it catch up?

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
Interesting, so following that logic I should be able to start a 3 drive array with 0 parity drives, and add one when I'm ready, right?

Also, I remember reading ages ago that SATA is plug and play. I still hear his quite often, but just how plug and play is it? Can I yank the power/data cables on a sata drive while my computer is on or will things break? (assuming the O/S is writing nothing to the drive ofcourse)

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
So how come PATA drives couldn't be yanked?

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
What are you using for the 10 SATA ports?

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
Yeah I have a feeling thats the case, still worth asking.

How many (750gig) drives would work efficiently on the old PCI bus? I've got 2 sata ports at the moment, not sure if adding another 2 ports would be worth it.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha

Fifty-Nine posted:

I used these for my new NAS box:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856999211

Speaking of which, the parts came yesterday and I've got it up and running Nexenta with a 2.33TB ZFS pool. Unfortunately the motherboard's onboard NIC doesn't have a solaris driver, so I've gotta wait until Monday to actually start using it. :doh:

Sup nexenta buddy :) I installed nexenta this weekend on a 4x750 array raidz1 and its pretty nice. I'm cut that i can only get ~12mb transfer speeds over gigabit ethernet because this motherboard has 2 drives on a pci sata card + gigabit ethernet with no pcie. Must move to atom when I get the chance, this is crazy.

As for moving /var, I imagine you'd use the zfs mount command (check man).

How can I test the individual drive speeds on my nexenta system? I thought dd if=/dev/dsk/c3t0d0 of=/dev/null count=3GB was clever but it doesn't work.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
Oh god :psyduck:

Keep in mind that going with solaris puts you in the reject group when it comes to Application support from FOSS guys. I've just spent a good 6 hours getting a upnp media server to compile on nexenta.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
edit: never mind. ZFS compression is really effective when you have a giant stream of 0s coming in...

vanjalolz fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 13, 2008

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha

IOwnCalculus posted:

You'll also need a 2.5-3.5 drive adapter to mount it up, assuming you don't want it flopping around in the case.

I got a 2"5 PATA drive flopping around in my server case, no problems yet.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha

kalibar posted:

I wish this stupid motherboard had like, 8 SATA slots. I'd hate to have to pour a "bunch" of cash into a new board, CPU, and RAM for this machine -- kind of diminishes the "ghetto-cobbled-on-the-cheap-and-out-of-old-parts" effect.

Your situation is exactly the same as my own, except I don't even have PCI-E slots so i need to use PCI. If you find a good solution, post it :)

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
Combat Pretzel you seem to know a lot about solaris - any link with the development or just a clever chap?

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
I wanted to try something similar in ZFS but couldn't figure it out. I dont see why high-risk software doesn't exist to migrate a raid1 to raid5 or striped to raidz.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
For enterprise users it might be considered useless because they buy their hard drives in bulk.

Oh, and high risk in the sense that running this operation and then losing power would be a problem.

While Raid-0, Raid-1 and Raid-5 all have different uses, there is definitely a lack of an upgrade path when going from a no/lower-number raid to a higher raid level.

For home users there is a purpose for this kind of technology. A quick google shows plenty of people asking how this can be done. I've even included a link to a (very technical) explanation of how it can be done in ZFS to show that even the SUN devs are seeing this as a legitimate use case.
http://blogs.sun.com/ahl/entry/expand_o_matic_raid_z

vanjalolz fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 19, 2008

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
With the push home servers are making, I think that gradually expandable - redundant - space will turn into more than a niche market.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
Ok, I've been using zfs for a few months now with daily snapshots and its been running great...

.. but now I have like a hundred snapshots and they're starting to take up space. What;s the best way to prune this stuff?

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
Any enclosure will do as long as its the right type for your hard drive (sata/ide etc). In australia you can expect to pay like $30 for one, not sure where you are.

If you don't want the enclosure you can easily add the hard drives to your new computer and everything should run fine.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha

pipingfiend posted:

For those guys out there using solaris or open solaris any guides to assistance on setting up Sabnzbd+ and a torrent client like torrentflux or wtorrent would be great.

I can't help with sabnzbd+ but i've got wtorrent running on my solaris box. Compiling libtorrent/rtorrent is a pain because the developer is a jerk, use this guide to get it to build. wtorrent was fairly easy, I used lighttpd instead of messing with apache and this guide

I need to updated my rtorrent, I'm dreading it because its a huge pain -.-

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
Is there any way to get TimeMachine backup to a zfs server? If not, whats the best way to back up my laptop to my server with out an external drive?

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha

Jonny 290 posted:

I use rsync scripts on a launchd schedule. It beats cron, because if you are in sleep and it comes time to run a launchd job, when your machine wakes or boots it'll run those jobs (read: sync) automatically. It's pretty snazzy, though I'm so paranoid I run hourly rsync backups and do a daily Time Machine backup to an old 160gb at night.

Lingon is a good utility to manage launchd jobs.

Do you mind posting your rsync scripts/settings so I can see how you do it?

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha

w_hat posted:

Did someone mention getting rtorrent for opensolaris? I'm really struggling to get it going.

Yes, It works, but its a huge bitch.
You need to pull the svn copy and try and build it. When you get an error (when, not if..), look it up on this page http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-p5yQxeIlabNLXBcyDWuLZDGM4Nxb?p=20 and follow his instructions on getting it fixed.

If you run into an error you can't fix, send me a PM and I'll help you out.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha

TeMpLaR posted:

3 mac's will be using timemachine on it, two through airport over my wrt54gs.

I realise this is asked ALL the time, but how are you going to do this?
All the timemachine hacks I've seen require you to have a separate hard drive and don't play nice with pooled storage.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
Its so easy to get carried away chasing speed and getting cockblocked by the PCI bus when making a NAS. I think everyone should take a deep breath and really consider the chances of breaking 100mb/s throughput in real world use.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
Has anyone here used OpenSolaris and Nexenta? I'd imagine OpenSolaris is harder to use (given a linux background) but it would be balanced out with better package support - it doesn't sound like OpenSolaris has any more packages than Nexenta though :S
Nexenta v1 had me patching rtorrent manually every update, but v2 has rtorrent in its software repo and it built with out a hitch

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
I've got a nexenta solaris file server set up with some shares and for the most part its working well, but I made my shares before I saw the stuff about making the case sensitivity = mixed and now when ever i transfer files into the share over sharesmb they come out with 000 permissions.

How can I change the default permissions of smb create files? I know it has to do with ACLs, but I can't work it out.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
Yes im using built in CIFS thinking its the better option. I just realised that its not broadcasting itself (no nmb) so stuff it, I'm ditching it.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
Anyone have an easy way of updating rtorrent on nexenta? I've been putting it off for months but my version is banned in too many places now.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha

NOTinuyasha posted:

Manual compile? I've done it on Linux and OS X - and having the dependencies installed will save you a lot of trouble, assuming the latest build is backwards compatible (should be).
Yeah I've done it with no drama on sane posix systems, but solaris/nexenta is a beast of its own. I've just fixed the various compile errors and am now tracking down an issue with ncurses. Apparently I can't use the ncurses from the package manager and need to build it from source.. and it wont build from source because it cant find libc :depressedemote:

FISHMANPET posted:

It's in the opensolaris dev repository, if that helps at all (I bet it doesn't).

I'll google for it and hopefully something comes up.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha

NOTinuyasha posted:

I had similar bad issues on OS X, spent an enormous amount of time on the trac trying to sort them out. I needed to install a copy of GCC over the Apple one, applied two patches just to get a compile, another two for stability. I'm proud to say I got at least one change made in my name but unhappy I wasted that much time. uTorrent with Windows is still way better. I can't even imagine trying to get rtorrent to run on an NAS, it killed my dual G5 Xserve as it was. Maybe give Transmission a shot? Beyond that I've heard alright things about Enhanced Ctorrent for limited NASes but that's completely banned on quite a few trackers.

Wow sounds like rear end, I thought fink sorted most of that stuff out? Transmission is a pretty good suggestion, I'll give that a shot. (After I get my server to boot, upgrading libc required a reboot and it never came back up...)

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
Does anyone have any tips for trouble shooting a Nexenta/Solaris system? Everything has been running great for the last couple of years, but yesterday everything started going stupid slow.

I think that the system is slow because disk read is slow - starting a new process (such as an ssh session or 'top' etc) is slow as hell. When I managed to run top, I didn't see any weird processes burning through CPU. I ran zpool status and it said my storage pool was fine, my syspool had one corrupt file (because I had to hard reboot the first time I ran into the issue). The corrupt file was an mrtg config which I never use.

It all started yesterday while I was streaming a video file. Everything was running great, I paused the file for 10 minutes and it wouldn't resume. I quickly found out that samba and ssh weren't responding so I rebooted but it didn't help.

tl;dr: Nexenta 2.0 system became slow overnight for no reason. I think its I/O related. How can I confirm/diagnose?

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha

Combat Pretzel posted:

Run pfexec fmadm faulty and see whether there's a device loving up.

Hey forgot to say thanks for this earlier. The issue fixed itself after about 30 hours but this is a real handy command to know.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
What are my options for keeping two zfs file servers in sync, other than rsync over the network?

Ideally I'm looking for something like rsync that would let me push changesets onto an external hard drive which I would carry to the other file server and get it to sync. I know zfs has zfs send which does something, I'm just not sure if I can use it for my purpose.

I guess using the zfs tools would be for block level sync which wouldn't work for two-way. Maybe some sort of script which copies recently modified files to the external drive would work. Has anyone tried something like this before?

vanjalolz fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 10, 2011

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
I'm not expecting files to change in two locations, just expecting folders to change in two locations. Was hoping to avoid sending things over the network though.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
My FreeNAS raidz1 system has been defeated by the sun. I have 4 1.5tb hard drives of which 1 is now failing to be detected by the BIOS and 2 are reporting SMART errors.
Unsurprisingly, the pool is failing to load.

Can anyone give any pointers on how to begin recovering some data?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
I'm not sure what gpart show corruption means - that the partition table is corrupt and needs fixing, but the data is fine?

code:
[vanjab@BOSS /]$ zpool status -v
no pools available
[vanjab@BOSS /]$ gpart show
=>       63  586070192  ada0  MBR  (279G)
         63    1930257     1  freebsd  [active]  (942M)
    1930320         63        - free -  (31k)
    1930383    1930257     2  freebsd  (942M)
    3860640       3024     3  freebsd  (1.5M)
    3863664      41328     4  freebsd  (20M)
    3904992  582165263        - free -  (277G)

=>      0  1930257  ada0s1  BSD  (942M)
        0       16          - free -  (8.0k)
       16  1930241       1  !0  (942M)

=>        34  3906975677  ada1  GPT  (1.8T) [CORRUPT]
          34         222        - free -  (111k)
         256  3906959071     1  !6a898cc3-1dd2-11b2-99a6-080020736631  (1.8T)
  3906959327       16384     9  !6a945a3b-1dd2-11b2-99a6-080020736631  (8.0M)

=>        34  3906975677  ada2  GPT  (1.8T) [CORRUPT]
         256  3906959071     1  !6a898cc3-1dd2-11b2-99a6-080020736631  (1.8T)
  3906959327       16384     9  !6a945a3b-1dd2-11b2-99a6-080020736631  (8.0M)

=>        34  3907029101  ada3  GPT  (1.8T)
         256  3907012495     1  !6a898cc3-1dd2-11b2-99a6-080020736631  (1.8T)
  3907012751       16384     9  !6a945a3b-1dd2-11b2-99a6-080020736631  (8.0M)