Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007
I am literally Bowbles IRL :(

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH
What OS do you plan to install? If some *nix then a cf card will work fine.
Hardware Raid 5 can be a bit pricey, why do you need hardware versus using *nix soft raid? Go to your local brick and mortar shop and get the sata cables there for 1 buck each, or bug your techie friend (I have 30-40 of these things lying around). You could probably run what you described off a 250-300 watt power supply though I don't recommend it. I would say try and get the 80+ efficient quiet corsair one (400 watt I believe is their lowest model). Great, quiet, reliable psu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH
Partition each drive into 2 and then stripe across 2 disks and then mirror that across to the other halfs. Basically it is useless.

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH
Syano you might want to take a look at Extreme Networks as well. They make decent gigabit switches. I have several at home ensuring that I go deaf at a very young age.

I managed to get my hands on one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816131004

And have been looking for a nice way to add more hard drives to my system and stumbled across this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994028

Has anyone used one of these before? Comments? Opinions? Incompatibilities I missed?
Advice on better ones? Price IS an issue as this is for my home, however I would rather pay an extra 50 bucks then get corrupted arrays. I would like to get as many hard drives in there as possible without having them roast one another.

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH
ManiacClown: Are you sure you just don't have hard drive spin down enabled? Go look in the power options.

I really like Seagate and Western Digital but pick your poison really. I think Seagate has a 5 year warranty and Western Digital currently has a 3 year warranty. They are both about 180 bucks on sale.

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

MillDaKill posted:

3. run a VM'd router distro such as PFsense for the house firewall / NAT.

Think about that one for a bit.

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

Supersonic posted:

My DNS-343 just came in yesterday, and its now holding all my data on a 640GB drive. So far I'm happy with the $137 CAD I paid for it on NCIX.

I don't see them selling this for 137 of any kind of dollars. No one has this for sub 400 dollars. So did you get a different model? Or did you pay more? Just interested for myself.

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH
I have been working on designing a case using an atom motherboard and 2 5 hard drive raid cages as the base for it. The block in the bottom that you don't see is the exhaust fan. Right now I am prototyping this in Google SketchUp. I was interested in getting your guys's opinion:

Click here for the full 1143x894 image.

Click here for the full 978x1116 image.

VVVVVV Edited above to fix due to this comment.

Evilkiksass fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Aug 1, 2008

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH
2 pictures are updated. I hope people get a better idea. The hard drives are all in raid cages. Not just sitting one on top of another. The thing labeled as an exhaust fan is linked in my first post.

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Where's your power supply going to sit?

Right inside of the 24 pin slot. I will be using a 120 watt pico psu.
I know that this is very tight in terms of power but if you consider that all of the drives pulling max power plus the current atom board (which has an inefficient NB) would only put me at 4 watts over (assuming 80% efficiency on the PSU). With disks being spun down after 5-10 minutes of inactivity this should not be an issue I hope. If anyone knows of any tiny fanless PSUs that are more then 120 watts please link me.

vanjalolz posted:

What are you using for the 10 SATA ports?

At the moment I have an areca 1220. I am hoping that by the time I can get all this done the new chipset for the atom will be done and that should be pci-e.

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

Expiration Date posted:

I'd like to add another 3-4 TB to my drive array, but I don't really want to have to pull the DVD drive.

There are 2 to 3 raid cages I belive. Go to newegg -> servers -> server accessories, it is in there.

vanjalolz posted:

How many (750gig) drives would work efficiently on the old PCI bus? I've got 2 sata ports at the moment, not sure if adding another 2 ports would be worth it.

I think the 100mbit lan link is going to limit me long before the pci bus does. Regardless this is intended for PCI-E so either Atom will come out on a chipset that has PCI-E or I will move to VIA and their nano when it comes out.

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

Don't forget to factor in power consumption for that Areca card. Also make sure you stagger the spinup on those drives.

Actually it looks like I will be changing the design to use 2 power supplies. 1 for all the core components, and a second for all the hard drives. Yes it forces the device to use 2 plugs but it will be much better overall. This is still a very early design. Hell the motherboard this is all based on does not exist yet so I got time to adjust things if anyone else sees things that need to be addressed / changed.

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

Why is two small power supplies better than one larger one?

Because I was planning to use 1 of these: http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/it.A/id.417/.f?sc=8&category=13

Since they are tiny and produce very little heat.
Instead I plan to use two of them and then just make a switch to short out the green and black (I think) wires to turn on the second one in order to power up the storage drives. Since they are SATA hotplug should not be an issue. 10 sata drives without staggered spinup should not pull over 80 Watts unless I totally screwed up my math (if I did please correct me, I would rather be wrong during design then implementation).

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

Remember that drives pull the most power at spinup, and I'm pretty sure a 3.5" hard drive will pull more than 8 watts at spinup.

Anyone happen to have a killawatt, an external sata drive cage, and several hard drives from varying brands and capacities that they could use to test this for me? Will buy platinum upgrade (or whatever else if you already have that) for someone who can do a thorough test. Email me through the forums if you are interested. Sorry but this is something I can do only once, not for 5 people as this is a hobby project.

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH
What is not safe about a raid 5? In both raid 5 and your current setup you can loose up to 1 drive without loosing data. If money is no issue then you could build your own server, or find one that supports raid 6 and use it, that would allow you to loose up to 2 drives. There is no magical storrage without lost space, you just need to find a good balance between what you can afford and what will do the task that is needed.

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH
Can't wait for the trip report on this case, will buy it without a second thought if it is good.

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

pipingfiend posted:

I would not run this stuff to download directly to the array as torrents will probably slowly kill it.

What?

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

crazysim posted:

You were using the correct libtorrent right? There's one, and then there's rakshasa's. They are same in pretty much only the name.

Which one should he be using? Rakshasa's I assume?

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH
You should be able to chroot debian on there somehow.

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

H110Hawk posted:

Doesn't matter, firmware fix is released last I heard.

The same fix which has been bricking drives? Or the update after that which is STILL bricking drives?

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH
I am looking for a NAS which supports the following:

5 drives
Raid 6
no common reports of data loss (drobo)
whatever is needed to watch media from a PS3
ideally I could also stream to computers
if it can run any other apps it would be a plus, but not needed.
quiet
as cheap as possible.

Any suggestions?

So far I have looked at the HP MicroServer which is nice, but only 4 drive capacity, and I don't really want to hack it to access the optical sata port. I have also looked at the Synology offerings, but they seem to jump to $700+ for a 5 bay.

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

Grez posted:

The UK Microserver £100 cashback offer has been extended to the end of November, and also includes the new 1.5GHz Turion N40L model. http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/campaign/focus-for-smb/solution.html

I was in a bit of a panic because I bought one on the 27th but it didn't ship til the 1st November and my invoice states the 1st so I thought I might miss the cut off. Happy days.

Now I'm wishing I'd held off for the new model!

request an exchange?

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH
I am looking for recommendations for an ExpressCard 34 storage controller which supports 2x3 esata port multiplier for up to 6 drives total (most will do 10). Ideally it could support Raid 6. I am also looking for advice for a enclosure that would house 6ish drives in ideally, raid 6. I guess I can run this whole thing as Raid 5 + Spare, but I feel like that is kind of weird. My best understanding is that the result is raid 5 auto repairs vs running a 1 drive degraded raid 6. So then you are exposed to failure during the rebuild time.

Edit: I think I am stupid. I am planning to use mdadm to handle raid. So the raid support needs to just be jbod right?

Evilkiksass fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Nov 5, 2011

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

movax posted:

Hmm, ExpressCard currently at best is limited to a single PCI Express 2.0 link, so you'd get a theoeretical 500MB/s bi-directional at most; with 8b/10b encoding overhead (just assuming a rough .8 efficiency) that's going to drop to 400MB/s already.

I don't mind this at all. This would mostly just be another location to store important files which would be infrequently accessed. To archive old photos that I am no longer actively working on, etc...

I was wondering if it would make more sense to just use USB3 instead of e-sata to set this up (drastically reduces hardware requirements for use AND recovery). Any input on this?

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

DNova posted:

You can also run FreeNAS in an esxi VM, present the SATA disks to FreeNAS to make a RAIDZ array, then present the RAIDZ array back to esxi to store the rest of the VMs.

And where do you store FreeNAS? Perm configured and attached USB volume?

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

ashgromnies posted:

Can the N40L run PS3 Media Server well enough for HD transcoding & streaming?

About how much power does it use if you run it 24/7? The PSU is a meager, what, 150W?

Would love to hear peoples input on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH
Do you need to hack the bios on the N40L as well to use the last sata port with AHCI? Does it just work as is? Can it be done at all since it is not the N36?