Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

KS posted:

Does anyone know if I can replace ST3000DM001 drives with WD30EFRX drives in a ZFS array using whole disk devices? I'm concerned there might be slight capacity differences that would prevent this from working. Is the relevant specification "user sectors per drive?" They look identical at 5,860,533,168.

I just had a double drive failure in a RAID-Z2 of 6 ST3000DM001 drives. I'm leery of just RMAing due to the somewhat bad reputation this model is getting, but if I buy replacements I want them to work.

If you have drives of equal or larger size, ZFS should resilver onto them just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007
Crashplan makes money because of block-level deduplication, which applied to a petabyte or possibly exabyte data set likely results in *MASSIVE* savings.

For backup, unless you have a large always-needed dataset (i.e. a company's customer database can't be down, they'll lose millions of dollars an hour), a hot backup is probably useless.

My current backup system, which is undeniably overkill, is:

Desktops/Laptops Cross-Backup to each other (using Crashplan) in a one-to-many setup. This means that each device has all of every other device's data on it. Just user data.

Desktops/Laptops backup to Crashplan. Whole-Disk.

Desktops back up to a dedicated backup drive inside each computer, only user data though, not full backups. This is my "hot-backup" but it's really more of a "warm" "Just reinstalled, SATA Bus is faster than Gigabit"

My main user folder is Synced and Backed Up with Spideroak (general files that I work on everywhere, common settings/tools that i want to be the same across all computers, etc.)

"Cold" data (old schoolwork, 1:1 images of CDs/DVDs of music or games, all my family and work pictures) are burned to Blu-Ray discs, one copy kept locally, one copy sent ~800 miles away to a family member's house. Most of this doesn't change much (school stuff never does, discs never do, pictures are only added to, etc) so this usually just entails an additional disc or two being burned each year. There's 10 or 11 of them at this point. Some of it is stored in other places, but things like the discs and schoolwork are just kept in a "outgoing to backup" folder on the file server.

There are some other redundancies in there (Computers are clonezilla imaged monthly so that some types of failure condition can be recovered from via wipe-and-reimage or new-harddrive-and-reimage in an hour or two instead of days of re-setting-up everything), and their used to be more (external backup drive for each computer as well as the internal one, things like that) but this is *Way* more than enough backups. I can recover from minor errors in seconds, major errors in minutes, and dedicated and well-planned attacks might put me out for a few hours after the metaphorical bullets start flying.

I guess what I'm saying is that in all my paranoia even I think a dedicated hot backup server is a bit much. "Hot" backups are for live-failover things that can't be down for half a second. I should put some of this in the OP, I think.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

DNova posted:

No, this is wrong. Crashplan's deduplication works only on an individual account's dataset.

Not that I'm saying you're wrong, but even if they do it on your individual dataset (probably they do, to avoid redundant uploads, make a bunch of backend work easier, whatever), There is likely deduplication happening on the servers, too.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007
I checked and it seems like they actually are handling the encryption correctly which is nice, but certainly not something I assume. I use my own key, so their default handling practices weren't of much concern, but I thought I remembered it doing something silly and insecure by default. I actually might have been thinking about dropbox, which I don't use in favor of Spideroak. Either way, my bad.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

killendino_001 posted:

Thanks for the advice. I should have prefaced what I want with: none of this is very well thought-out. I guess I had "mail server" in mind for some misguided notion that I could get away from Gmail, and the NSA, haha.

If you want that, your best bet is to pay for hosting from somewhere outside the US. My preference is mykolab.com which is hosted in Switzerland, a country with excellent privacy laws. It won't stop a targeted attack (nothing really will short of absolute abject paranoia) but it will require that any agency go through a lot of additional trouble to read your email, at least. In terms of actual defense against governmental agencies the benefit is minimal, but getting away from Gmail is always beneficial. Bear in mind it will probably require a bit more setup than a gmail account and their webmail client is decent but not quite as nice.