Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

The Meshify 2 XL is basically the Define 7 XL with a breathable front panel. I don't know if anyone's actually tested thermals with all 18 drives populated, though. I would probably upgrade to high static pressure fans if you fill it, and maybe rig up some cardboard so that the air is forced to go between the drives instead of escaping through the side

I just did a new build using this one, it’s a dream

I think I have 14 drives so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Rap Game Goku posted:

Doesn't Unraid do ZFS now?

It does, and it’s pretty nice. Easy appdata backups. I formatted some external drives to zfs and it’s easy to send the snapshots over.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

100% Dundee posted:

I've been running 8x 8TB WD shucked drives(mix of reds/whites) in my Synology DS1817+ for a solid 6ish years and one of them just started having issues/throwing errors/bad sectors/whatever recently. The rest of them all seem perfectly fine still and have no errors/issues on any of the tests, but regardless of that, I've decided to start upgrading all of them one by one. So far I've done 4, the one bad one and 3 of the others which were still in good working order, but again still have about 50000 hours on them at this point.

So my question is, what is the standard protocol for used drives that are in "otherwise" good condition, but 6 years old and heavily used? Do I just thank them for their years of good service, bid them farewell, wipe them completely clean and then recycle them? Or would it be a reasonable for me to keep them around, throw them in another NAS or expansion unit or something and only use them to store data that otherwise I wouldn't mind losing(backups of backups, linux torrents, etc)?

Slap them in an external enclosure and use them as backups.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

https://serverpartdeals.com/ is some win

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Syncthing has worked well for me, I have 2 remote servers I sync to.