Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
It seems like for home-brew solutions, this motherboard/CPU combo should be first post worthy:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article780-page1.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Is there a Drobo-like solution for throwing a bunch of drives togather and getting Drobo like no thought needed results, where unmatched drives can be used?

(I had bad luck with an actual Drobo, and would like to spend less.)

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Froist posted:

Another +1 for ZFS on Linux here. I set it up a couple of months ago on my N40L as I'm only really familiar with Ubuntu. It's been flawless since day 1, can pretty much max out my gigabit network. Definitely a huge improvement over the Fuse version that I briefly tested.

So does that ZFS work by just taking advantage of all the storage space you got, and dynamically resizing and all that as you add random new drives?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

So has anyone shelled out for the 8 bay Drobo then?

I had a four bay, and had lots of problems with it, and fourbays mean it is actually pretty expensive to add capacity since you have to do it by twos...

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Are you trying to get a rise outta someone in particular?

??

I am trying to find out if someone got an 8Bay Drobo, and whether they think it was worth it.

I had problems with 4 bay drobo (that may have all been from the house I was living in having terribly dirty power, as it turns out. I killed more drive in a year and a half (5-10) than I have in the rest of my life).

But even without problems it was hard to extend the size of the array because unless you replaced two drives at a time the pool did not increase. (and you were not replacing my drives, I was, and that got expensive.)

kapalama fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 10, 2012

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

It's more than a grand, and Drobo doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation for performance. For that kind of money you could build something a lot better.

Performance in the sense of speed, right?
What I am doing now, software RAID of externals on Mac OS X is slow as a pig anyway.

Not having to think about extending it would be worth it, but not more than a grand(!). I guess I should have checked the price.

On the other hand, being able to not have to buy sets might still make it worth it.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Froist posted:

at one point corrupted the filesystem nearly losing all the data on it. The ease-of-use with the Drobo is cool, but the whole point of the device is data security and after my experience I couldn't trust it again. Plus the fact it's proprietary, so if the Drobo itself dies there's no way to read the data except with another Drobo.

As far as buying pairs of drives, I'm talking off the top of my head here but I can't see how 8 bay vs 4 would make a difference there? Unless you only half-fill it to begin with and slot new individual drives into the empty bays.

Yikes so my bad experience with it data secutiry wise was not unique to my bad power house.

How long ago did you own it?

Right now, I have two sets of 1.5TB external software RAID-0 setups, which is of course not at all secure. One set back up the other set, but still.

If I got the 8 bay drobo, I could put one set into the unit and then add the others in as well. (Of course if it is not secure, then yuck. )

I am not sure if there is a NAS system which would take 8 drives to begin with, and if there is the price starts to climb to near drobo land.

Isn't the big problem with NAS RAID sets that if one drive fails, and you can no longer match the drive, you have to buy another set of 4 or whatever?

(Plus I kind of don't want to have to do setups and learn how to run a system just to access drives.)

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Froist posted:

I didn't want to scare anyone because it was likely very much a fringe case, but from that point it was a no-go for me personally. I'd been using HFS+ as the filesystem (rather than the probably more common NTFS) and had switched a few times between using it with the DroboShare and directly connecting to my Mac over USB. One day neither of them would read the filesystem any more - the only way I got the data off it was a last-ditch attempt of using MacDrive on a Windows PC to read it.

Apparently it is not a fringe case with HFS+, then.

You were able to get data of yours. Mine was untrustworthy enough that I just wrote off whatever was not backed up away from the Drobo. And it was silent corruption, where with no warning, songs turned into text documents and what not.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Drizzt01 posted:

I tried storage spaces when the windows 8 and server 8 consumer preview 1 were out but have not in the new iterations. It was still a bit buggy and slow write (15-30MB/s) with parity on and mis matched drives. Read was fine though. If they fix the bugs that existed I could see it being a great alternative.

Because Storage Spaces was not capitalized, I almost missed that post.

Is Storage Spaces live? (Is Windows 8 out?) Does it work?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

The Onion posted:

Anyone have any more thoughts about going with UnRaid as a psuedo-raid solution? I currently have 3x500gb drives, and I am about to pick up 2x 2tb drives. I want a solution that is expandable, and doesn't require much upkeep. I don't really care about write speeds, But I do care about reasonable read speeds (Media center style reads). I'm looking at FreeNas also, but it seems like a lot of work, and doesn't play well with unmatched drives. I also want the ability to be able to take the drives and recover the data in a different computer if needed, in the case of array failures. Any thoughts?

In terms of finished products, it does not seem like unRaid is much cheaper than a Drobo.
(example: http://stephenkjones.com/unraid/ , and the systems listed on the unRAID home page.)

The two people who had problems with their Drobos (me and Froist) were both running HFS+. This is maybe the sticking point for Drobo. I wondered how I had such bad performance and unreliablity when so many other people had seemless experiences, and while two cases prove nothing, it is at least a clue that Drobo maybe works fine, just not with HFS+(Mac filsystems).

SInce lots of things have trouble with Mac filsystems, then, maybe Drobo is not at fault. Of course why Data Robotics never addresses or acknowledges this issue then becomes a question, and I can say from dealing with that company, that they are a little slimy (like many tech companies are) when dealing with problems.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Wait did you guys mount iSCSI and put HFS+ on top?

This is on a Drobo, where it says we can format as whatever we like.

Maybe we can't, but Drobo said we could.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

One thing about Storage Spaces that seems strange is that thin provisioning is not automatic.

Is there some reason why it is not default behavior? If I understand it right, if you do not thin provision a pool then it is not exapandable.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Wheelchair Stunts posted:

Do you UPSes no longer offer serial output? I mean, that's about as ubiquitous as you can get.

Oh you PC people.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Why not get something like a pelican with rack posts? Or a half/third height cabinet?

What is a Pelican rack with posts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

movax posted:

ZFS supremacy :smug:

I just powered off my machine after nearly 300 days for a move; I hope all 20 HDDs survived the move :ohdear: I'm taking this chance to dust/clean the machine and the HDD trays since they're pretty dust-caked at the moment.

Can you talk about your hardware and software setup a bit?