Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Any good Black Friday deals on drives or storage hardware?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Volguus posted:

The thing is ... all of these programs have bugs. All of them have vulnerabilities. Sometimes a vulnerability is discovered by a good guy and a patch is released. Sometimes (most of the time) whoever finds it, shuts up and exploits it.
It's not the bugs and vulnerabilities that you know of that should be keeping you up at night, it's the ones you don't know of that are the problem.

But, like you said, you do you. If that convenience is that important to you, then ... have at it. Also, they seem to be running in containers. That's just a fancy chroot, a level above just running on the host, but not by much. A VM would be quite a bit better than that at isolating a service in its own world (still with access to the network, but ... oh well).

Case in point, I had my deluge web client exposed to the internet in the past, and one day I found someone had used an exploit to install a malicious extension on it. The web client interface had a password on it, but the exploit bypassed it.

https://forum.deluge-torrent.org/viewtopic.php?t=54522

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

A friend of mine has a synology nas and a lot of extra storage laying around that she doesn't know what to do with. Is there a storage heavy grid computing workload she could dedicate it to? Run a waffleimages node?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Computer viking posted:

And yes, of course ECC memory is useful in anything where data you want to keep does at any point reside in memory. The reason people are touchy when people talk about ZFS+ECC is that one old article that predicted that bad memory would lead ZFS to self-corrupt into nothingness worse than other file systems, which seems to be based on a misunderstanding.

Anecdote, but I recently had a stick of ram fail on a system running ZFS and the file system survived just fine, even if my uptime did not. Took me about 4 or 5 days to root cause the issue. Is there a better way to monitor for memory related errors so I can get more warning in the future?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Anyone got a UPS recommendation? Just had a wicked storm blow through and flicker the power a few times and real quick succession.....and it reminds me that my NAS isn't well protected beyond a surge protector. It's a Synology 720+. Don't need anything all that powerful.

I use this APC one which has consistently been worked great for 3 years now and has never failed to kick in during an outage. It has enough power to run my server for about 20-30 minutes (actually maybe more now I haven’t tested) and enough juice to keep my networking hardware on for 2-3 hours if I power down the server.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

If you host a Plex server and setup Overseerr to take requests and automate it to connect to Radarr and Sonarr (private trackers sold separately), you'll eventually wake up one day and realize you have 100tb of content that you have no idea where it came from or who wanted it in the first place.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

I have this cheap newegg rackmount chassis with some asus motherboard and a simple data extender PCI-e card. Works super well, no complaints.

https://www.newegg.com/rosewill-rsv-l4412u-black/p/11-147-330?Item=11-147-330&cm_sp=product-_-from-price-options

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Also, when you're using compression, you want variable record sizes, because here they're used extensively.

By the way, do not sleep on the default ZFS compression, you might think "these are video files, they're already compressed" but for some reason the file system level compression saved me something like 5%-8% off my total usage for free. It's definitely effective, and it's essentially free (just a little CPU overhead). I recommend ZSTD.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Any good rackmount DAS or disk shelf options available or do people mostly find those kinds of things on eBay these days? I was surprised to find basically nothing on Newegg. I don’t want a whole nas, just an enclosure for a bunch of shucked drives I can attach with a SAS cable or whatever they call em.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

So be clear, these things have no size limits on the drives as long as you don’t use the interposers right?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Is there any way to merge two discrete zfs pools so that to the filesystem they appear as a single mount point? I’d rather not go to the trouble of moving specific files and folders to this new pool. Alternatively, any way to hardlink across filesystem boundaries?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

Can't hardlink but you could symlink, or use a bind mount.

But if you want to "merge" the pools - why even make a second pool, you could put those drives in as a new vdev in the original pool?

Tell me more about that second option. What’s a vdev? Will this allow the single pool to have a single mount point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Moey posted:

vdev = Single or multiple sets of drives. Single disk, mirror , RAIDZ, RAIDZ2......

Pool (zpool) = collection of single or multiple vdevs

If you create a pool with multiple vdevs, and one vdev suffers a catastrophic failure (more disk failures than your level of parity) your pools data is gone.

e:fb

Got it! Thanks, so I guess the main disadvantage would be that since the new vDev is going to be an external DAS connected through a cable, if the DAS, HBA card or cable failed, I would nuke my entire pool until I was able to fix it.