Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

So I've been looking to build/buy a NAS for my apartment and have been weighing my options between both as my storage hard drive on my workstation eeks closer to 100% capacity.

AMD recently (or will soon) release some new APUs, and one perk they have is hardware support of AV1 encoding, so if I ever want to double it as a Plex server it might prove useful.

Anyone have any thoughts on the new APUs and using them for a NAS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Ok, I think it's time to take the plunge on this NAS project. Whipped up a quick parts list on PC Part Picker, aiming to use it mainly for storage, potentially as a future PLEX server. Took some advice given from earlier in the thread and added an Intel A380 to the list for the AV1 encoding. Anyone see any glaring issues that'd be cause for concern with this setup?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600X 4.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($208.50 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9A-AM5 CHROMAX.BLACK 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler ($54.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG B650I EDGE WIFI Mini ITX AM5 Motherboard ($260.00 @ MSI)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL32 Memory ($96.90 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Red Plus 12 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive ($229.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Western Digital Red Plus 12 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive ($229.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: ASRock Low Profile Arc A380 6 GB Video Card ($113.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Jonsbo N3 Mini ITX Desktop Case
Power Supply: Corsair SF600 600 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($225.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $1879.30
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-20 16:50 EDT-0400

I've got some spare M.2 NVMe SSDs I can throw in there too for an OS and maybe use as a cache.

Additionally, follow-up question: what's the go-to choice of OS for running a NAS?

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

rufius posted:

Question to consider: how important is data integrity to you? If that’s super important, consider whether you want ECC memory. That’ll help ensure, along with ZFS, that your bits stay correctly flipped.

I care about ecc memory because I backup my raw photo library and some important financial docs via my NAS (as well as offsite). This may not be a concern for you, especially if you’re just downloading Linux ISOs.

If you want ECC memory, your easiest route is usually through either Intel’s atom “enterprise” skus or a Xeon. You can do AMD Opteron, but when I was building in 2022, the options were pricier than the Xeons I was looking at.

I was actually considering ECC memory but PC Part Picker didn't list any while I was picking parts. Doing a quick google search I guess I need a specific tier of AMD motherboard to get support for it? I'm not strict with going AMD for the processor for this one, I just want one that won't flounder if I try something more complex with this in the future. If Intel has something that won't be a power hungry gremlin I'm ok with choosing something over there too if it makes getting access to ECC memory easier.

MadFriarAvelyn fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 20, 2024

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Ok, parts ordered, with a few substitutions. Ended up going with a Fractal Node 304 for the case due to availability of the Jonsbo case I originally wanted, which led to a PSU and GPU replacement for ones that'd better fit the new choice of case. Opted against going with ECC memory because apparently it's a crapshoot for AM5 motherboards and I don't want to be locked into the dying AM4 platform otherwise.

Wish me luck, goons. :ohdear:

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Eletriarnation posted:

That said, prices and stability for AM5 are much better these days, and hopefully luck will be with you so that ECC doesn't end up mattering.

:ohdear:

Ok now I'm sweating it, so I also ordered an AM4 ASRock board, an AMD 5600X and two 16 GB sticks of Kingston unbuffered ECC RAM to replace my previous choices. Won't be on the modern motherboard standard that I wanted but it'll give me more peace of mind. So long as the return process goes smoothly it'll end up saving me $200 in the long run too.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I almost wonder if going with Ubuntu would be the way to go for my build. It's the Linux distro I'm most familiar with and looking up some guides setting up ZFS doesn't sound too terrible to do.

I know when I set up my pool I'll probably want to use one or more of my four drives as parity drives just in case a disk fails. So that means...RAID-Z or RAID-Z2? Any preferences between them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I am never building in a Fractal Node 304 ever again.