Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

D. Ebdrup posted:

There were some drives, WD Greens among them, that had INCREDIBLY low load-unload cycle count (on the order of 10k) according to spec and design - meaning they would wear themselves out in months if you used them in a RAID array, especially ones that expects error recovery control over drives

Wild. All my drives are greens. Maybe I’m sitting in a time bomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

ChiralCondensate posted:

Newegg has the WD Elements 12 TB for $190 after a dumb code if you have an email signed up for their newsletter (or at least that's what it used to require): https://www.newegg.com/black-wd-elements-12tb/p/N82E16822234406

Out of stock :argh:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/05/western-digital-gets-sued-for-sneaking-smr-disks-into-its-nas-channel/

lmao

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So, sneak performance-leeching technology into current product, then add a price premium to current product without performance-leeching technology. Sure WD, ya dicks.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Unraid question, which I'm guessing is on their wiki somewhere, but don't know the exact phrasing to search for.

My current unraid has an 8 TB parity drive, a few other smaller disks, and the smallest disk is 2TB. If I grabbed one of those 12 TB drives on sale from Amazon, I'd have to remove the smallest drive in order to put it in the array. Before removing the 2 TB drive, would I have to go to \\tower\disk<2TB disk #>, and move all of this data over to one of the disks with 2TB of space available? How do I get the data off that specific drive, but still keep it in the array?

I've done this a few times, but it's been 3-4 years since I've expanded my array, so I can't remember.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Wait, why not replace your parity drive with the 12tb and replace the 2 tb with the 8?

Also shouldn't you just be able to assign the 8tb to the 2TB spot and it'll rebuild the data for you?

I think I worded that post oddly. I'm removing the smallest disk, moving the 8TB to where the smallest disk was, and putting a new parity drive in.

Anyway, I found the wiki that explains the 3-drive dance:
https://wiki.unraid.net/The_parity_swap_procedure
I didn't realize that unraid had an option to copy parity from my old parity drive to my new one. That makes it super easy.

Now to decide whether to get 1 drive or 2...

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Rexxed posted:

Newegg's got some sale pricing on a bunch of WD Elements models:
8TB WD Elements $128.99 w/ "FNTSTECH76" https://www.newegg.com/black-wd-elements-8tb/p/N82E16822234349
10TB WD Elements $159.99 w/ "FNTSTECH75" https://www.newegg.com/black-wd-elements-10tb/p/N82E16822234350
12TB WD Elements $175.99 https://www.newegg.com/black-wd-elements-12tb/p/N82E16822234406
14TB WD Elements $219.99 w/ "FNTSTECH78" https://www.newegg.com/wd-elements-14tb-black/p/N82E16822234411

drat, the 14s are gone already.

e: 5% cash back on the 12TB on Amazon if you use their Chase Prime CC.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Buff Hardback posted:

The plugin Unbalance in Community Apps lets you do this sort of thing easily, by letting it scatter a drive to other drives.

Oh sweet. I’ll check it out. Thanks!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Heners_UK posted:

Haven't had a chance to post in a few days but I wanted to concur. Unbalance is a furiously usefull app when the need comes up.

One of my drive is throwing errors so I've just excluded it from being used from all important/irreplacable shares and copied the data off the erroring drive. TBH for my easily replaced stuff I'll just run it into the ground.

EDIT: If all else fails, I've got Crashplan properly up to date.

Yeah this is super cool. Thanks to the OP for mentioning it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Received my Elements from Amazon today and just shucked em. Loaded one up in my Unraid, and of course it can't see the drive. Anything special I need to do with the drive after shucking it? I thought I remembered seeing you have to tape over a power connector pin or something?

Of course, the loving things came like this with no padding, so who knows:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

DrDork posted:

They do have a DOA rate: try plugging it back into the USB adapter board from the case and seeing if it'll get recognized that way. If it does, but doesn't work outside the case, it's probably the 3.3v disable pin: https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Fix-the-33V-Pin-Issue-in-White-Label-Disks-/

Ha, yeah, just saw this
https://youtu.be/1YqMn1pCRd8

Will definitely try this later tonight. Good to know pins 1 & 2 aren’t needed either so I can slap a fatty piece of tape over 1-3.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Once I slapped electrical tape over pins 1-3, the Elements drive booted just fine. Cool.

Doing a parity copy and it's at 25% after running all night. Haha, gently caress.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

I forget what you're coming from and to, but note linux out of the box artificially limits the md resync speed to try and balance performance vs rebuild time. I find it's very dated in the speeds it uses and it's almost pointless for a home user. See if unraid has tweaked that for you.

# sysctl dev.raid.speed_limit_min
# sysctl dev.raid.speed_limit_max

That went right over my head. Are these env variables or something?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

What are you plugging your drives into? Just SATA cables straight to the mobo or are you going through a HBA? My goal this weekend is to get my own WB Elements shucked and installed, but they'll all be going through an LSI 9211 and I think I remember reading somewhere that it didn't even look at the 3rd pin but now I can't find it again.

Yup, SATA right into the board.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Whoaaa, unraid emulates the contents of a missing disk. I haven’t upgraded disks in probably 4-5 years and I don’t remember this being a thing. I thought during the pre-clearing of a disk, you either had to have your array stopped, or the contents of the missing disk would be... missing while the script was running.

Super cool that I can be pre-clearing the disk while still being able to access the contents of the drive I’m replacing just by doing that parity calculation of it. Yeah, I’m vulnerable to losing data if a disk fails while I’m pre-clearing, but this is pretty cool that I don’t have to go without missing data while the new drive is being prepped.

Now to wait a week while I pre-clear a 12TB drive on an Atom CPU :v:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Unraid pre-clear of my 12TB drive took a full week, wowzers.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

CopperHound posted:

This doesn't sound right. Did you let unraid do it's default thing or did you do something special?

Just kicked off the preclear script from the unraid interface. It's always taken forever. I'm running a decade-old Atom processor on 4GB RAM. I mainly use it as a source for my Plex server, and the PMS is run on my Ivy Bridge desktop PC. Haven't had any issues with speed, so I never bothered to upgrade the guts of the unraid machine.

The info for all my disks says:
SATA 3.1, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 3.0 Gb/s)

Since it's not running at 6, I assume that's bottlenecking it as well. I'm guessing my SATA controller is just old enough to not support 6.

And now I wait 3 days for the data rebuild :v:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Buff Hardback posted:

Nope, the functional speed limit of shuccs is ~180MB/s or 1.4Gb/s

Realistically you don't need to pre-clear drives anymore from a getting them into the array as Unraid no longer stops the array during a clear of a disk natively, so all you really needed to do is just check the disk to make sure it wasn't going to bathtub early

Yeah, last time I added a drive it needed to stop the array. Had no idea until this week. But I did kind of want the stress test to compare SMART reports.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Buff Hardback posted:

I take it it's been quite a while since you added a new drive?

That was fixed in like 6.5 i think

Yup, at least 5 years.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'm currently running an Unraid server for my movies and whatnot. It's really old.
Intel® Atom™ CPU D510
Supermicro X7SPA-HF motherboard
4GB DDR2
I've got 5 data drives of WD Reds that total 36GB, and a 12TB parity drive.
I think it's a mini ITX case and only has room for 6 drives.

Now that I'm upgrading my stuff to 4K, I need some more space (drive bays) and I figured I might as well just upgrade the whole thing at the same time.
This server literally only runs Unraid and serves files. My Plex Media Server software is run on my desktop PC and my home automation is run by my Rasp Pi.

Couple questions:
1. Should I get a regular desktop CPU, or look at something lower powered? I get Intel CPUs at half off retail, so I could just throw some beast like an i9-14900K in it for $310ish, but would that be complete overkill? My current server doesn't have any problem serving multiple 4K movie files concurrently, so not sure if going apeshit on the CPU would be worth it.
2. Recommendations on a case that can hold 8+ drives? Preferably somewhere around 12.
3. Are the WD MyWhatever external (Reds inside) drives still cost-effective, or can I just buy a standard internal drive for a similar price and not having to pull off the external enclosure? I also remember having to set a jumper on the drive to get it recognized by BIOS.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

I think at 12 drives you're looking at a Meshify 2 or Define 7 (maybe others, but I'm a huge Fractal fan for mid-tower and up).

Going batshit on the CPU isn't worth it unless you see making this a heavyweight VM host someday. Your main considerations are the iGPU and ECC support.

Thanks!

Looking at the Meshify 2 and it says:

quote:

Dedicated 2.5" drive mounts
2 included, 4 positions total

3.5"/2.5" Universal drive mounts
6 included, 14 positions total + 1 Multibracket

Expansion slots
7 + 2

I'm utterly confused at how many 3.5" drives that can fit lol

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 2, 2024

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Blarg, sorry, I meant 3.5" drives. Standard HDD, not SSD. Although I may consider getting a SSD for a cache drive or something.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Are these going to blow up in 2 months if I shuck them for my Unraid?

https://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/923116

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Kibner posted:

Yeah, I'd get a super-low power CPU with ECC support and spend the money saved on as much ram as you can get for the OS to use as cache to help mitigate the latency & speed of repeated access of the same files off that spinning rust.

Any board/low power CPU suggestions for a pure file server? I assume you meant an Atom CPU/board? I currently run a 10yo Supermicro Atom. Would one of those combos work again?

edit: Great, now I'm looking at QNAP and Synology solutions to avoid piecing stuff together by hand..................

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 17, 2024

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Do Synology NAS' do hardware transcoding? e: it appears this answer is.... maybe, depending on the model.

I currently run PMS on my beefy desktop PC with hardware transcoding enabled. My current NAS is only used to store the files. Should I just keep it as-is, or try to actually run PMS on the (possible Synology) NAS? I'm leaning toward just keeping my NAS as a file server only to avoid paying for duplicating hardware functionality. The Synology DS1823xs+ ($1800) is probably what I'm leaning toward at the moment.

Only leaning toward Synology because of the SHR/SHR2 hybrid RAID modes, so I can use a bunch of different-sized disks. QNAP only seems to support RAID configs, which require the same size drives.

edit: well gently caress, the 8-bay DS1823xs+ doesn't support SHR for different-sized disks, which is exactly what I want. The non xs+ model is like 4 years old and the AMD Ryzen V1500B CPU came out in 2018.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 18, 2024

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Well poo poo. Instead of just expanding and upgrading my Unraid, I went ahead and got a Synology DS1822+ 8-bay system and picked up 3x 22TB Ironwolf Pros. I don’t like the Synology having a CPU from 2018, but I figure waiting for a refresh on it, while my Unraid quickly runs out of space, probably wasn’t worth it, and having a AIO system that just works and doesn’t require a lot of maintenance is probably a good thing. Plus, it’s a pure file server. My NUC is the one running PMS, so it doesn’t need any hardware encoding support.

It’ll be running 3x 22TB, 2x 12TB, 2x 8TB, and a single 4TB in SHR (hybrid raid).

I didn’t opt to use Synology’s hilariously overpriced DDR4 though, especially at $700 for 32GB. Instead, I went for some brand called A-tech for $125. We’ll see if it blows up.

I’m sure they’ll announce a refresh within the next couple months, but it does look like Synology keeps their value pretty well according to eBay.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bloopsy posted:

Does it matter which sata ports a drive is connected to in Unraid? i want to move a couple drives around from the mb sata into an icy dock enclosure connected to a LSI card. Reddit says it doesn’t matter but I want to be sure before I start.

I think years ago it used to matter, but like other posters have mentioned, it shouldn’t anymore. This used to drive me batshit insane when I’d have to take a drive cage out to replace one and the SATA cables get all tangled up. I had to boot it up a couple times to get the ports straight. I ended up printing out the SATA port name and serial number of the drive on a tiny piece of paper and taped it to each drive.

Scruff McGruff posted:

This came up in the Self Hosted thread but figure it's worth crossposting here. Unraid might be moving to a subscription based license model.
https://www.reddit.com/r/selfhosted/comments/1aue3rc/psa_unraid_might_be_changing_license_models/

I’m somewhat surprised it would take them this long. I’ve been using Unraid for probably close to 15 years and it’s been constantly updated for my initial $29 purchase or whatever their 6-drive tier was way back then.

I do like how this was posted a day after I purchased a Synology, and will be moving on from Unraid :v:

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 19, 2024

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That’s probably the least offensive switch to a subscription fee they could have done, especially if the lifetime is reasonably priced.

It’s funny reading the Reddit comments from last night and this morning before the official announcement. Everyone was frothing at the mouth pissed.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Nulldevice posted:

Yeah, Synology is out of their loving minds when it comes to RAM and drive prices. I have a pair of 1522+ each with DX517 expanders and 32GB ECC RAM in them, and through working on the first unit it wouldn't boot with both RAM sticks installed. Put in only one in the innermost slot, boots fine, put it in the outer slot and nada. I upgraded the second unit to 32GB and it worked perfectly. Put the original 8GB sticks from each unit back in the first one, and still wouldn't boot after 8 hours. Contacted support doing all of this and they were asking for photos of the DIMMs and packaging, toward the end I told them it didn't work with their RAM either, provided a picture of the Synology RAM and told them to RMA it. Fastest I've seen a support issue go from mindless testing to RMA. I also believe I'm using A-Tech in one of my systems. Problem was a failed DIMM slot.

Their HD (rebranded Toshiba's) and DDR prices should be loving criminal. And in the xs+ models, it flags non-Synology branded HDDs as a "critical" / red error in the health check thing. So as long as you don't have a system of pure Synology drives, it will always say that it's in critical condition or something. Absolutely stupid, and probably easy to miss an actual critical error that may occur.
I've seen posts where they planned to "downgrade" it to a yellow warning, but not sure if that actually ever happened.

My 1822+ arrived today and is sitting on my floor waiting for this stupid meeting to end :D

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Well poo poo, I didn’t realize for Synology in an SHR configuration, you can only expand the data pool with a disk that’s same size or bigger as your largest. Or the same size as an existing drive. I figured I’d just load the Synology with 3x 22TB new drives, network transfer all my data from my old NAS (<44TB), then expand the Synology pool with the disks from my Unraid.

Now I’m going to have to do some dumb disk juggling that will take forever 😩

On a side note, I’m liking how easy it is to setup the Synology though! And also how easy it is to swap drives from a hardware level and software.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Put a 22TB Ironwolf Pro in my DS1821+ to expand my SHR pool and it’s still being processed a week later 🥵

I got 2 more drives to add as well lol

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Suggestions for a UPS that can talk to my 8-disk Synology about gracefully shutting down in the event of a power loss?
And I have a NUC right next to it running Win11. I assume the UPS would have Windows software to do the same? Can you USB 2 machines into 1 UPS with control like that?

I don't need something that has like a 6 hours runtime or whatever. Just long enough for a graceful shutdown.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 13, 2024

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Why is my Synology constantly flipping over to battery power? It's on a 3-week old APC 850VA and it hasn't happened until like a week or two ago. No issues with electric anywhere in the house, and my utility essentially never goes down unless there's a storm or some idiot runs his car into a substation.

edit: it did it again while I was typing this post. There's a clicking noise when it switches over.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 5, 2024

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I did a reboot on my Synology and it hasn't happened in 30 mins. :iiam:
Checking the PowerChute logs (if they exist) would have been my next step.

edit: nevermind it started doing that poo poo again

KS posted:

There are also usually knobs to tweak in the UPS settings -- like if it's undervoltage you can widen the tolerance.

Ahh this is good to know. Thanks!

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I turned the tolerances to low in PowerChute and it seems to have fixed my constant switching to battery issue on my Synology. Seems super strange to just have started, but it seems to be happy for the time being.