Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I've been out of the loop on all things 'NAS' and am wondering what the current recommendation for a low power, barebones kits? LTT kinda of re-ignited my desire to actually set this up again, pointing out that this exists (https://wiki.friendlyelec.com/wiki/index.php/CM3588_NAS_Kit). This is pretty compelling and it's actually available by some skeezy 3rd party here but I'm not sure what the other options are. I always imagined this as a box, but if I can avoid a big box and can instead stick a set of M.2 drives onto a small board that's sipping 30w~ of power, that would be highly preferable.

My requirements are:

• Small-ish at least
• Low Power
• Has 4+ M.2 slots
• No proprietary nonsense.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Alright, I had an adventure with a FriendlyElec CM3588. Gather around for a tale!

I got the model with eMMC onboard. My goal was to put TrueNAS or OpenMediaVault on it. The docs lean toward OMV, so it'd probably be that.

This thing ships with Ubuntu on it, but they immediately have docs that suggest you flash it to Debian 11. Weird that it doesn't just ship with that, but whatever - fine.

An important note here. They actually have a lot of docs for this device, but 'a lot of docs' does not mean 'good docs'. This is probably the worst technical writing I've come across in a decade. Some of the instructions are incomplete. Some are missing whole chunks. Some will leave you in a bad state permanently if you follow them verbatim. Some are just wrong.

I spent about 4 hours trying to get this to boot from a microSD card and failed. I tried to follow the instructions verbatim and then when I realized that they were just bad, I tried to fill in the blanks as best as I could, but this thing would just not find 3 different microSD cards that other computers in my house were happy to read from. I eventually somehow put this device in a state where it won't boot at all, and it's functionally bricked. There is some software they include that can address the storage and firmware from outside the computer over USB, but none of it's in English and their English config may as well be a markov chain of instructions - it's unusable.

This has been a disaster. I believe if the stars align, this can be a wonderful device because the idea of a small, compact, 4 NVMe drive, low wattage NAS solution with features is really compelling, but there is less than zero attempts to make this usable at all. I do not recommend this device unless you are fluent in Mandarin and have infinite patience for jank hardware / software. I've returned this device and have a new appreciation for software/hardware solutions that are a little better supported.

With all that said: Anyone have a recommendation for a storage solution that can consume 4 NVMe drives that supports RAID 5 (or some kind of reasonable fault tolerance)

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 14, 2024