Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Case question. I built a new system a few months ago, and my old system has now been relegated to NAS/Plex server duty. However it is still in the S340 case I built it in and that only has 2 3.5" bays. I'm at a point where I'm going to need more than that and thought I'd ask for recommendations for a full atx case with a lot of internal space.

I'd prefer as small a footprint as possible, but I recognize I'm asking for two different things there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

priznat posted:

Any nas-friendly cases out there that I should look at over the node 804? Really want to update my i5-2500k unraid and have an 8700k system sitting idle.. Its case is too small, and would rather just swap the 8700k into a new case to minimize downtime and a quick switchover.

Related, is there a node 804ish case that will take a full atx motherboard?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Wibla posted:

Woah. How big are those drives? And I'm sorry for your power bill...

Maximum Power: 1,222W :getin:
https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/ess-p8/2.0?topic=enclosures-netapp-de6600

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Talorat posted:

I use this APC one which has consistently been worked great for 3 years now and has never failed to kick in during an outage. It has enough power to run my server for about 20-30 minutes (actually maybe more now I haven’t tested) and enough juice to keep my networking hardware on for 2-3 hours if I power down the server.

I also have this one and it's worked well for the couple months I've had it. Bought it intending to run my main PC off it, but it has my nas box and network gear at 22% load.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Stupid question time.

My NAS/Plex box is currently on windows 10. It has 2 drives in a windows storage space and the OS is running off an SSD (I repurposed my old system when I upgraded). I'm looking to move it into a new case with more space for drives, and I figure that's a good time to also transition off of windows.

I wasn't thinking ahead when I went with the storage space. So my question is "how hard is it going to be to transition the data off of the storage space and into unraid or truenas?" If that's even possible? I'm hoping there's a way to convert that I'm just not aware of, but if it takes just buying more drives, then hey more space.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

hogofwar posted:

To transfer data in this case I you will need a medium while your Nas is converted. Either get a large enough external drive or upload it to some sort of storage service and download it again, which would probably be the cheapest option but also the slowest.

Aware posted:

Ideally if you're also looking to bump your capacity up you would grab 2x new disks of a larger size, so you'd have 16tb parity, then 8+8+16 storage array as an example.

It might not look that great now but then you're free to add any disks up to the size of your parity drive moving forward.

That's what I figured. I got a pretty good deal on 16tbs last black friday. Hopefully that'll pop up again.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Doesn't Unraid do ZFS now?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

I have an APC backUPS that does not require a subscription. At least it didn't ask me for one when I set it up.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

YerDa Zabam posted:

Unraid have a page up promoting their "cyber weekend" price reductions (as well as prizes and stuff)
No actual price details though.
From what I can glean from searching previous years, they only reduce the unlimited one though? That'd be a shame as the 12 device one will be more than enough for me.
I'll wait and see anyway as I've 3 weeks of the trial left.

https://unraid.net/blog/cyber-weekend-giveaway

How much of a discount have they done in the past?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Kibner posted:

Seagate Exos X20 ST20000NM007D 20TB for $270 on Newegg: https://www.newegg.com/seagate-exos-x20-st20000nm007d-20tb/p/N82E16822185011

e: 1 per customer only, drat

Just what I was looking for. Thanks! Get to start that unraid migration sooner than later.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Took the long weekend to transplant my old system into a new case, and a couple drives and swap over to unraid. Will hopefully last me a while.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

That could have been a lot worse and now I don't have to rush to upgrade from basic. Brainworms have me considering buying a basic key just in case I ever need to set up another.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Hydrocodone posted:

I've been procrastinating on an Unraid NAS. I need space for a lot of video editing work, plus I'd like to learn about them and probably run a media server. So I recently hit checkout on all my carts figuring I'd better jump in and just make some mistakes. Now I've made a couple more than I expected and need answers to a CPU question!

This started with a ryzen 7 3700X I already had, but only after building the thing did I realize I badly misread something and have no IGP. So where do I go from here?

If I keep the 3700X, can I set it up headless or would I need a GPU temporarily? Can I expect any media server performance at all? Would that draw a silly amount of power for the purpose?

If I replace it, would a cheap option like a 3200G serve 1-2 people at a time or do I need to spend more? I've read Jellyfin works well on AMD, but I currently use Plex and is it worth considering a whole new board so I can use Intel?

And then there's a sort of third option of keeping the 3700X for just a bit. I'd eventually like my local NAS to sync with another, and this could become that other one in future. (I'm mainly writing that sentence in case someone can tell me "oh, syncing one Unraid to another is a nightmare. Don't even start down that road.")

Unraid can run headless, but you do need a monitor for setup. You'll also want some GPU for transcodes for plex/jellyfin. Plex will run fine on it, but unless you're direct playing everything, you'll need a GPU (and I think this takes plexpass to do in hardware)

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Do we have an unraid thread or do we do all that poo poo here? If so, I guess please point me there.

For preface, this is my first time diving into unraid/similar systems outside of drivepool on windows. I interface with plenty of CLI tools, done some messing around with docker on HAOS on Pi, and usually do pretty well with research and reading documentation so I’m not super concerned about figuring it out.

I’ve been running my PMS with ~ 60TB of space on my gaming desktop in windows via drivepool. Mixed HDDs from 1TB-20TB, something like 8x drives, and some are on the older side. My pool is nearly full but I’ve been de-duping and clearing space because I know at minimum I need enough space to empty a large drive to start the slow move over.

I’ve finally upgrade my CPU/Board/ram and plan on using this as a push to finally move to unraid. Lack of hard links, general pain-in-the-rear end-ness of most of the tools I wanna run on windows, and accessibility to docker containers for home assistant, pi-hole style stuff, and tons of other containers are why I’m moving over. Not to mention stability.

My main question is around the parity drive system in unraid, and what happens on a drive failure. I’m not really wanting to purchase an entire 20TB drive just for parity, especially as the majority of the data is for my Plex system and is ultimately replaceable, and because unraid is supposed to save me TBs of space via hard linking For ease I’ll try to list each question out separately.

• When running with no parity, what constitutes a drive failure that causes a drive to be inaccessible? Is it total failure, certain SMART warnings, bad sectors, mount failure, etc etc.

• Is all data on a drive that falls of the array lost, or is there a way to recover it?

• Does a drive failure affect the data on the other disks in the array?

• Is it possible to identify specific data that should be duplicated across multiple physical disks to ensure it’s not lost if a drive fails? I plan to figure out more specific backup tools in the future, probably backblaze or similar, but want to keep my downtime during the transition to a minimum.

• Factoring that most of this data is replaceable and my above questions, am I being an idiot by not running parity? If I’m gonna buy another 20TB drive I’d rather it go to expansion of the array so I can run more users than parity.

As a just in case, here’s the hardware for this and my transition plan

• i5-14500
  • AsRock Z790 PG Riptide
  • 32Gb DDR5 6400 / 32
  • ~8x mixed size, brand, age 3.5” HDDs, from 1TB-20TB
  • 3x 500GB SATA 2.5” Samsung EVO SSDs (app data and etc?)
  • 1x 500GB Samsung NVME (likely a boot drive for windows games with anti-cheat that I can’t run in VM, pci-e 3.0)
  • 1x 1TB Crucial NVME (PCI-e 5.0) (cache? I dunno yet)
  • Dell H310 raid card if needed
  • Nvidia 3080FE (going to be for gaming pass through only, won’t be passed to Plex.
  • cooling/case/PSU and etc is well worked out

My plan is to do a bench build of the unraid server while I move the data over 1 drive at a time either via unassigned drive plugin method or via network from the windows build.

Please do let me know if I’m being stupid or there are better ways to do this. Due to unraid seemingly running fairly unique configs for most people, I’m having some slight trouble researching exact answers and it’s a little tougher for me without the box in front of me. I wanna minimize downtime so I want all my pieces in place before I start if possible.

I moved to unraid about 4 months ago by a similar method. Had everything in a windows storage space, bought a 20tb drive, copied everything to it. Then moved to unraid and ran the old drives without parity until things got copied over, then the 20tb became parity. I was obviously only able to do this because my total data was less than the one big drive, but what you're wanting to do is similar.

As to your specific questions:

1. Honestly, I don't know how bad a drive has to fail to be inaccessable.
2. Without parity, it would again depend on the disk. With parity the data can be rebuilt.
3. Unraid isn't raid, so data is contained entirely upon its disk. It doesn't get striped
4. This is what parity is for. Otherwise there is probably a plugin that would let you mirror data across them.
5. What's your main worry? If stuff is replaceable and the downtime caused by replacing it is acceptable go ahead.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Cygni posted:

Storage Spaces user checking in :twisted:

This is what I used before switching to unraid and if not for windows 10's looming end of support I'd have probably kept it around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Nolgthorn posted:

https://nas.ugreen.com/pages/ugreen-nas-storage-preheat

Ugreen (the usb hub and charging cable company) is making a foray into the NAS space. I wouldn't consider this an ad because it's all nerds in here who probably know exactly why these suck.

They appear marketed toward average consumers particularly Apple users. I am an average consumer albeit not an Apple one, so I have no idea what I'm looking at. There isn't much information and I'm concerned I wouldn't get Jellyfin running on it and who knows what else.

People have been getting and preview/reviewing these. Seems like the hardware is fine, but the software needs work.