Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Been thinking about getting a backup Nas for home use. Mostly just wanted to get backups for my important documents on my main computer and my DJing laptop before it keels over and dies and I have to rebuild all my playlists and metrics by hand. I don't really care about plex or setting it up as a media server, but I wouldn't necessarily be against having some space dedicated for an iscsi drive to throw steam games on. I'm looking at a turnkey system rather than dealing with the hassle of building my own.

Has anyone used the Truenas Mini X? I have a lot of direct experience in the Synology space, but the mini x came up on my radar and I like the platform for the price - I just have no experience with the software stacks on either the Core or Scale side.

Do you feel it's worth the extra $400 to move from like a DS1522+ to the Truenas Mini X?

Also how concerned should I be for noise on either of those models? I live in a one bedroom where I can't necessarily get away from the sound of something if it's roaring like a jet engine constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Keito posted:

Tailscale matches better the actual definition of "Virtual Private Network", that's primarily what it provides for you. It doesn't by default route your non-VPN, normal Internet traffic anywhere.

Basically this. In enterprise settings, a VPN is largely there to securely connect a remote user to internal resources - someone at home on a company laptop needing to get on a company file share typically. Versus commercial VPN, which is really more of an encrypted network proxy used to mask your network traffic but isn't really used to connect you to an otherwise private server or anything.