Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Thwomp posted:

And now for my question:

Anyone have experience converting an old Sandy Bridge desktop into a small formfactor NAS? I don't really use my PC tower so much anymore and with a small case (4 bays tops is all i require) and a small-sized motherboard, it seems like I should be able to recycle most of the parts. Would this be a good idea? How hard would it be to convert it to a more NAS oriented OS?

I'm pretty sure this is exactly what freeNAS is for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I run plex on my Windows 10 rig and it's totally fine. I use TeamViewer to remote in when needed, and it's set to automatically log back in upon restarts so that's not a problem either.

Eventually I want to get a dedicated NAS like a synology or something like that, but the problem is I need transcoding for my parents/brothers that also use my plex.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

EssOEss posted:

What utility should I use for SMART monitoring? I tried some WD Data Lifeguard thingy and it gives me this:

Now I have seen such dialogs on the internet and everyone seems to talk about it as if it were natural and obvious but those numbers mean absolutely nothing to me. How do I interpret this gibberish? Or rather, what app puts these magic numbers into a human understandable context?

Download CrystalDisk (the non anime version) and look at the RAW values.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
What programs do you guys use to test drives when you first purchase them?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Bluray density is dwarfed by tape so it's not that good.
Microsoft is using media that's about the size of an optical disc and can store 7TB - by using nanometer-scale quartz (on a substrate) that's holed like a punchcard using a laser, they're resistant to EMF and still work as an effective WORM media.
Barring extinction-level events that can take out Iron Mountain and places like it, it's probably the best humanity will manage for quite a while.

Thank you for the link - that is some seriously cool technology. in a weird way, it almost made me...nostalgic? For those "early" days in tech where you you would read about Google trying something cool like this every other day in 2008 or whatever.