Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Question about basic NAS stuff with UnRAID:

Is there a specific way I should set up a 1 TB SSD cache to work with a 17 TB array used primarily as a media server? Right now I have it set to move files over to the array every 8 hours, but that's all I've done so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

Set any VMs or Docker shares to "Prefer" and run them strictly off the SSD. If you set the share to prefer and stop the docker/vm services and then run the mover it will move them off the array and onto the SSD. Also do this for appdata.

Make sure you're backing up your appdata and VMs!

Thanks, yeah, I already had to reconfigure everything once after my original NVME drive kept overheating (this tiny motherboard put the slot on the back where it gets no airflow). I just found the plugin that lets me back up the appdata folder to the array drive.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 3, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I've been running Unraid for I think 3 years now and the amount of janitoring is basically "log in and see if there are updates"

Unless you have wonky hardware its pretty hands off after initial setup

Coincidentally you posted this as I was coming back to this thread to post how great Unraid has been for over a month of uptime with zero janitoring. It's night-and-day compared to when I was fussing around with OpenMediaVault and Portainer.

I had an issue with setup where my NVME kept failing but it wasn't Unraid's fault that the motherboard put its NVME slot on the back right up against the bottom of the case.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

Shucking easystores still the way to fill up a synology? Like this:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-8tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/6425302.p?skuId=6425302 $150
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-12tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/6425301.p?skuId=6425301 $205

Little annoying I have several 10TB ones and want to replace a 3TB to grab some extra space, and yet no 10TB. What's the current pricing situation look like?

I bought 2x 18 TB easystores at Best Buy for $285 each a couple months ago

I dunno about synologies but I had to tape over a couple of the power pins to get my desktop to recognize them

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

UnRaid 6.11: Is there a better way to back up the cache drive than to use CA Backup / Restore Appdata? I just had my cache drive fried by a power flicker (time to get a UPS...) and while I was fortunate to have a recent backup I still had to spend a couple hours troubleshooting and fixing SQL DB failures for Plex and the *arr apps.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Scruff McGruff posted:

I don't know of anything else for the entire cache drive, but Sonarr and Radarr have their own backup system baked in. I have their databases back up to my Google drive in addition to the CA Backup/Restore plugin.

Oh cool, I didn’t know that. I’ll get that set up then. Thanks!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

THF13 posted:

CA Backup/Restore is supposed to be one of the more reliable ways to get a backup of your appdata because it shuts down your docker containers before making its backup. Did you put the files back in place manually or use the restore function of the plugin? I've had permissions issues manually copying files from its backup to a single borked application, but for a full cache drive replacement you should just need to hit restore and have everything copied back correctly.

Yeah I used the restore function. I was able to fix the *arr DBs on my computer; for some reason the command line utility didn’t work.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I could not be happier with UnRaid after using OMV for a year

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I just put a little electrical tape on the pin on the drive.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’d be ok with them dropping support for older versions after a couple years but I’m not gonna do subscription fees if that’s the way they end up going.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How “essentially the same” are Pro and Lifetime? I could be convinced to upgrade to Pro right now.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Scruff McGruff posted:

:same:

Honestly this seems like the best way for them to have pivoted to a new pricing model especially compared to so many other tech companies enshittification stage. I can't really blame folks for their initial reaction considering how many other companies have completely hosed their users with this sort of change.

Yeah zero blame for redditors on their response to this one. Same deal as when a beloved game franchise announces it’s pivoting to GaaS.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oh that's awesome. I've been keeping an eye on the effort to add HW transcode support to Plex for AMD APUs so I could use my NAS box as-is and progress has been buggy and slow. I'd much rather get a cheap single-slot GPU but Nvidia doesn't seem to want to make those.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FYI for using an Intel ARC card in Plex: I spent ages trying to figure out why HW transcode wasn't working in Unraid and it turns out HDR Tone Mapping is broken. Turning that off allowed Plex to use the GPU.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What's the recommended approach for reverse proxying into UnRAID to get access to various containers? I've seen folks recommend Cloudflare's tunnel system but I don't feel like switching all my DNS stuff over from AWS. Nginx with port forwarding seems to be the alternative.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Scruff McGruff posted:

Unraid has Wireguard built-in under Settings > VPN Tools. If you just need personal access to the server from offsite, would definitely recommend going that route or using Tailscale.

If you need it publicly accessible then I can recommend using Nginx Proxy Manager (NPM), it gives you an easy to use GUI for configuring your proxy routes and can create certs with LetsEncrypt or you can install certs from an external provider.

I ended up going with NPM and I really like it aside from some setup issues. The URL checking service for LetsEncrypt kept giving me weird and inconsistent errors and would only let me get a cert for my A record and not the CNAMEs. Using the Route53 API method worked flawlessly.

Now I have to figure out how split DNS works so I can direct local network traffic without going through the web, and I’m thinking about setting up Authelia for 2FA.