Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

IT Guy posted:

Those of you with a DS411j, what are your xfer speeds? I'm starting to think mine is hosed.
I have a Synology DS210+ and it's getting ~100MBps over iSCSI with a RAID1 of 2x WD20EVDS 2TB.

Stealth-edit: I looked up the disks, and even had the model number wrong. It's been offline for quite some time because it's noisy (the fan, I suspect) and isn't even up-to-date software-wise as I'm currently upgrading from DSM 3.2-1955 to 4.0-2198.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

IT Guy posted:

I just ran some tests on mine. I'm getting 10MB/s read and 4MB/s writes over CIFS. 60MB/s read 40MB/s write over FTP.

Something is hosed up. Perhaps that is why I can't stream hi def.
Once I've updated, I'll delete the iSCSI that was on there (not used for anything) and setup SMB and FTP and do some benchmarks, then report back.

Those drives are fine drives, I have the exact same number in my N36L, and there I can fully saturate 2x LAGG'd gigabit NICs on read and almost on write (dd: 400MBps read and 170MBps write, from memory)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Just using Windows file transfer default values (no enlarged buffer) 9k jumbo frames, I get ~100MBps read and 60MBps write.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

UndyingShadow posted:

My FreeNAS server is getting kernal panics every time I do large file transfers. It stays up for about an hour, and then crashes with an error in the console. It's reproducible every time.

Error message:
Panic: kmem_malloc(32768): kmem_map too small: 1607741440 total allocated

I burned FreeNAS-8.2.0-BETA2-x64.iso to a disc and then used another PC to install to a 8gb flash drive. AFAIK, this is the correct 64-bit version.

My hardware is as follows:
HP ProLiant N40L Microserver
2X Kingston 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
5X SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
1X WD 2TB Green Drive
Intel EXPI9301CTBLK Network Adapter

Any thoughts?
Have you tried googling? Because I came up with this in about a second.
As a general rule, any issue (with exception of the UI) you can run into with FreeNAS will be replicapable (and has already been experienced by someone else) on FreeBSD (and if the issue is related to zfs, that makes it even more likely that someone else has encountered it).

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 8, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

IT Guy posted:

FreeNAS has ZFS and is very loving simple to setup. However, with the current release, you can't expand the array due to a limitation with ZFS version 15 (I think in future versions you will be able to).
You can expand the pool just fine, you just need to add a seperate zraid1/2 vdev under the same pool. Basically whenever you create your first pool of three disks, you have a vdev running zraid1 - but if you add three more drives in a zraid1 in an additional vdev and add it to your pool, you've expanded the pool.
You can also replace drives with bigger drives, which in v15 just requires an export and an import (and resilvering once the replacement has been done for each disk).

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 9, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I assume you've tried the method mentioned of Using 7-Zip and Win32DiskImager on Windows that's described in the documentation? If so, and you have n*x running in a virtual box, OSX running anywhere or some old hardware with n*x, that very same page describes how to do it there.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 11, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Also, in case you have your freenas accessible from the internet, Samba 3.0.x - 3.6.3 (inclusive): "root" credential remote code execution without authentication is a reason to use hosts.allow (if you absolutely have to have it exposed to the internet - better yet to not expose it at all, since it requires so much locking down that it's not worth it).

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

If you open SMB/CIFS to a routed network you deserve everything you'll get.
And yet if you scan ip ranges, you'll find plenty of samba servers being exposed to the internet for cloud storage of people who have setup a linux NAS and just left it at that.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

wang souffle posted:

Can anyone convince me what to do with 8x 2TB drives in a ZFS setup? I currently have 5 of the drives in a RAIDZ1 setup and need a migration plan for existing data once I get 3 more.

1) 2x 4-drive RAIDZ1 groups in one pool.
2) 8-drive RAIDZ2 zpool.

Exactly how much more reliable is option 2 here? I'm considering option 1 as it seems possible to migrate the existing data without needing more drives.
You can just add the three drives in a zraid1 vdev to your current pool - or throw in another drive and do zraid2 if data security means that much to you (remember, raid isn't a backup solution).

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

How many people are storing multi-terabytes (say like more than 4 TB) of data that isn't movies/tv shows/video of some sort?
Well, 20 years of building up a music collection leaves at least a little that one wants to save in lossless format, so I have about 1.5TB of that alone.

Do anyone have any recommendations for off-site internet storage backup (need about 5TB and no transfer limit, and preferably compatible with FreeNAS in some way)? I kinda want to add an additional backup. :ohdear:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Bonobos posted:

Any danger in mixing Samsung F4's with the Hitachi 5k3000 drives?
You can mix and match drives all day long, as long as they're the same sector size (if you plan on using 4k sectors) and the same size.

nyoron posted:

Would the data go through Workstation A, or would it go straight from B to C?
For CIFS, it goes through A unless you remote control the machines in question.
FXP will do it over the FTP protocol, and it's not that hard to setup. Might be worth looking into.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Apr 20, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

How regularly do people in this thread run zpool scrub <pool>?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Alright, I split the difference and set it up to run every 3 weeks (it takes about 16 hours to finish a scrub).
Weirdly, the best practices guide for zfs suggests weekly for consumer-grade drives and monthly for datacenter-grade drives. Is there really that big of a difference, or is it just being conservative?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

titaniumone posted:

Earlier in the thread someone brought up aggregating network ports. I ended up buying an Intel Quad Port PCI-E 4x card for my server. A little bit of configuration in FreeBSD and on my Cisco switch, and now:
code:
leviathan# ifconfig lagg0
lagg0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=19b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4>
        ether 00:15:17:36:67:20
        inet 10.0.0.3 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 10.255.255.255
        nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
        media: Ethernet autoselect
        laggproto lacp
        laggport: em3 flags=1c<ACTIVE,COLLECTING,DISTRIBUTING>
        laggport: em2 flags=1c<ACTIVE,COLLECTING,DISTRIBUTING>
        laggport: em1 flags=1c<ACTIVE,COLLECTING,DISTRIBUTING>
        laggport: em0 flags=1c<ACTIVE,COLLECTING,DISTRIBUTING>
4Gb link to my home fileserver, suckas :smug:
MTU 1500, what the rear end? Tweak that poo poo to MTU 9000, and the rest of your network as well.
Also, you're welcome.
I believe it was me who mentioned LAGG, I'm running it with a dual port NIC, because it's in a low-profile pci-express port.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

FreeNAS 8.2.0-BETA3 is currently running on my N36L along with transmission and flexget in a jail, and I'm looking into setting up minidlna or serviio - and I must say that I'm very impressed with the way the plugin system works.

EDIT: Learn from my mistake, don't ever enable autotune or serial console by intent or accident (respectively, in my case). I'm stuck at the freebsd boot0 series of the bootstage and can't get out until someone more clever than me helps me. :(

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 29, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

badjohny posted:

This might not be the thread for this question, but is apple doing anything to combat bit rot? I know MS is going to ReFS, Linux looks to be going to Btrfs, and ZFS is currently the goto file system for preventing Bit Rot or Bit flip.

I have not see anything that says apple is going to improve HFS+ or move to something else. I know they were looking at ZFS for a while, but then it was pulled out of the OS.

I know a few people that use mac mini's as their home server with attached storage and I would not feel safe putting massive amounts of storage into play without some sort of protection like that.
Apple might've pulled their fingers out of the zfs cookie jar so to speak, but I know of at least one who's got (I believe) +10TB on zfs on a Mac file server for his company which is running just fine (and a newer version than I currently am, as FreeNAS seem to be taking their sweet rear end time moving to v28)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

With Zevo?
He's in the beta of it, yes - 6x3TB.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Jigoku San posted:

So my old Acer EasyStore WHS is getting weird, it dropped a drive out of the pool for no reason and refused to put it back(the drive had nothing wrong with it) and its not streaming files well anymore. They start to slow down and then lockup after ~10min of playback, seeking takes forever and can lockup MPC. I've got most of it backed up so I'm looking for other options to use my current hardware and 6 mismatched drives (3 1tb and 3 1.5tb).

I think I can install WHS 2011 on it, but without drive pooling I'd have nothing but a bunch of drives. Could I even put freeNAS on it, would it run well with the limited hardware? 2 of the NTFS drives are full and would need to be migrated over as well.
You could easily put FreeNAS on it - it's designed to run on anything from very slow hardware to very fast hardware. The N36L which is only 1.3GHz with hyperthreading is definitely fast enough for samba sharing over LAGG'd 2x1Gbps NIC interface.
I would recommend making two vdevs in one pool though, one with 3x1TB and one with 3x1.5TB - if you make a raidz2 with 6 drives you'd only get the minimum capacity (1TB)*5.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DrDork posted:

And, because parity is dealt with at the vdev level, if you create several smaller vdevs because you don't feel like buying a dozen drives all at the same time, you end up losing more space to parity than if you just had one big vdev.
You have the same parity whether you're doing 9 drives in raidz3 or 3x3 drives in raidz1 - and it isn't recommended to have vdevs with more than 9 drives, because of the time it'd take to resilver the vdev if a drive were to crash.
Another option for pool expansion is to replace drives over a period of time (which is why this method is useful if you can put a bit of money away each month to buy new drives regularily) until all drives in the pool have been replaced with bigger drives and then let the pool auto-grow (a feature of newer versions of zfs than v15, in v15 you have to export, replace then import and resilver for each drive).

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 9, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I know, I just couldn't remember the name of the feature and I'm running v15 where it isn't available.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DarkLotus posted:

Thank you for a very informative reply. How does ZFS handle using an SSD for cache? Is there anything special I need to do with the configuration to ensure redundancy?

Read about zil and cache (write and read caching, respectively) on the ZFS Best Practices Guide if you really do have a special setup/need and consider what's in the ZFS Evil Tuning Guide before doing anything else because zfs is a well-tested system and if there were better values than the default, they should be the default.
Other than straightening out bottlenecks, there's not a whole lot you can do performance-wise (but why would you need to? Even on consumer hardware (my low-power N36L, to be exact), I've seen SMB get maxed out on LAGG'ed dual-gigabit NIC).

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jun 25, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I've posted about that very issue at least 5 separate times in this thread, I think. Yes, the bge driver on FreeBSD for this particular NIC has a bug. Just buy a cheap low-profile single-/dual-port pci-express x1-x4 NIC that's listed on the FreeBSD em NIC driver manpage - All of those are Intel NICs that are fully supported with the em NIC driver, so it's just a question of finding one that fits the above-listed specs. Alternatively, HP has a parts number 503746-B21 NIC that's sold as an accessory to both the N36L and N40L.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 29, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Colonel Sanders posted:

I did not know that I could share the same folder with multiple protocols. Regardless, I cant justify setting up AFP for my Macbook because I rarely ever use the Macbook, and I'm sure it will connect to either SMB or NFS just fine.
Everything supports SMB, for all its many flaws.
If I had a mac only network I'd do AFP and if it was n*x only I'd do NFS - but if it's a mixed enviroment, SMB is the way to go.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Stein Rockon posted:

:words: regarding N40L with FreeNAS rather than a ReadyNAS.
You also need to add in another NIC if you don't want to run into a driver problem with the bge driver on FreeBSD for the particular on-board NIC that's used in the N40L, any NIC on this page should work as long as it's got low-profile.
That being said, the crashplan client isn't going to be easy to get running on FreeNAS - it's not officially compatible, and although people have done it on FreeBSD, that's not quite the same on FreeNAS, even with the PBI plugin system in the 8.2 release.
As for disks, I'd recommend 4x Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 64MB 2TB out of the ones you have listed.
You also need a USB flash drive to install FreeNAS on, of course.

In short: Just go with the ReadyNAS solution, unless you insist on DIY solutions. The primary advantage of DIY solutions like N40L is that they're more easily expanded later on compared to a ReadyNAS solution.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jul 15, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Synology is a good choice, but QNAP is also worth looking at. Every time I talk with people about NAS (not DIY solutions, mind you) it comes down to Synology or QNAP.

Speaking of Synology, does anyone remember the package repository that was linked in this thread at some point? Apparently I didn't bookmark it, and I can't find it again (tried searching with threadid: and various keywords, but with no luck).

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

frumpsnake posted:

Are you referring to this one?
Looks like it, thank you very much. I did find that one on a Google search, but I wasn't sure if it was that one.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Longinus00 posted:

There is no reason to recommend so much ram for home usage.
Wrong. 1GB of memory for every 1TB of diskspace on raidz1/2, up to a certain point. Besides, DDR3 memory is cheap as gently caress.

luigionlsd posted:

Honestly it's just 3x2TB drives now, one more down the line. *snip* How is it for expandability, for if I have 3 drives now, and 4 in the future?
Basically it works like this: A vdev is a virtual device consisting of any number of drives in any type of parity/mirror setup that zfs supports. You can have any number of vdevs you want, each vdev - for non-mirror setups - is 2-6 drives + 1, 2 or 3 parity drives (depending on if you run raidz1, raidz2, raidz3) on your first pool creation. Also you should avoid having more than 9 drives - including parity drives - in each vdev, mainly due to drive MTBF.
As for later expansion of pool, you can add more vdevs as needed (with any type of parity you want), or you can replace and resilver (rebuild the parity/data-integrity of the entire vdev) each drive in a vdev in order to expand the array once all drives have been replaced by bigger drives (autoexpand was added in v16, I believe, so if you're running v15 you need to export and re-import the pool manually).

Look, I know it sounds scary - however it does provide robust data integrity compared to the way WHS does it (also note that WHS is abandoned as a project and there won't ever be another, and support + software updates will stop too in the not too distant future).

If you really want to stick to Windows, buy Windows 8 as it includes ReFS in all versions. That way you get software parity on the zfs level, but on the Windows platform.
Or hope that Microsoft releases a new WHS with ReFS, as some of us do, no matter how unlikely it seems.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 27, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Zorak of Michigan posted:

ReFS is only on Windows Server releases, not the consumer Windows releases.
Welp, my memory of reading that it'd be available for all Windows 8 is wrong.

Longinus00 posted:

No it's not wrong, go ahead and benchmark the effects of less than 1GB/TB of memory yourself. Besides, the person asking is going to install it in an old core 2 duo system so probably won't be able to use cheap rear end DDR3 memory.
I did do benchmarking when I first installed FreeNAS on my HP N36L, and came to the conclusion that it's a fine way to go. 4GB did suffer a bit, 2GB more so and 1GB (which the server came with) didn't work at all.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

error1 posted:

(or working backups)
Always have this regardless of what you're doing.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Misogynist posted:

ZFS loves RAM. You can get away with any low-end CPU as long as you're not doing inline dedupe/compression, but you need to max that out at 8 GB of RAM if you want any kind of decent performance.
16 GB.

But yeah, you really don't want to do compression or dedup on the 1.5 GHz dualcore CPU. For everything else though, it's plenty powerful (even smbd which just uses 1 core isn't ever limited by the CPU in all cases I've seen (it always comes down to either disk i/o, or faulty network configuration/driver software)).

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 4, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

spaceship posted:

Joined the Synology club yesterday.

This thing rules. The software is fantastic, and it was incredibly simple to set up.

That's a neat-looking rig! Does it do RAID6? I've taken to always recommending people use raid (whether in software or hardware) that has two parity disks, because the increasing size of disks and their steady URE rate (it's been argued by Adam Leventhal, a zfs developer, that even RAID 6 will become unusable in 2019).

I wish zfs would add one feature that it's missing, namely adding parity disks to already-existing pools (it's a feature that's listed on some wish-list, and it's supposedly coming - eventually).

MasterColin posted:

Just picked this up for a start of an UnRaid server. Planning on running UnRaid, Sab/SB/PS3MediaServer. I'm also going to upgrade my router to a commercial grade router to make sure I can get gigabit speeds.

ASRock H77M-ITX
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100T
8GB DDR3 (2x4GB)
Fractal Design Array R2 -- Case
SAMSUNG HD103SI 1TB 5400 RPM -- First Drive
OCZ Vertex 2 2.5" 55GB SATA II SSD --Cache

I have some other 350gb drives i'll throw in until I can justify buying some 3tb drives or see an awesome sale.

Got a pretty good deal and the only issue is the MB only has 4 Sata.

Anyone see any issues? I feel like it is a little over powered for a UnRaid but with the media server running also I think I'll be glad for the extra HP.
Other than NIC-issue already mentioned, you can always get an IBM M1015 card if you're lacking ports. Also see the above about large disks and URE.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Oct 22, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

Can take up to 8GB ram.
16 GB.
Speaking of the N40L, I recommend getting the out of band BMC (a vKVM solution so you can run the server headless; it was made for the N36L but should work on the N40L) along with a one or two-port NIC from Intel as a zpool with +4 disks and raidz1 can easily do +200MBps transfer speed if the drives are fast enough (Mine run at 230/180MBps with LAGG'd NICs).
If I remember correctly, the N40L doesn't have the same motherboard NIC onboard (it uses Broadcom NC107i whereas the N36L uses Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5723), so you may not run into the bge driver issue in FreeBSD that I've mentioned several times in this thread.
Also note that if you want to use the eSATA and ODD SATA ports for a 5th and 6th drive, you need to hack or use an already-hacked BIOS as the ODD one only runs at SATA150 speeds and the eSATA doesn't support ACHI out-of-the-box (with the hacked BIOS, both support ACHI and SATA300).
Some people do some pretty crazy HP Microserver mods.

Apparently I completely missed this when it was news, but HP intend to take the microservers market seriously which means we're hopefully looking at a refresh within the next yearthis year with speeds of 1.6 to 2GHz, two cores and hyperthreading.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 28, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

WeaselWeaz posted:

How low power is one of these? I've debated buying one or building something similar to run FreeNAS (or even do double duty as a second HTPC) but it seems like it still uses more power than a Synology.
Mine runs at 34W with four disks when idle and 41W when at full load.
With a HDHomeRun, FreeBSD (for zfs-based filesharing on SMB) and MythTV you can actually have a complete HTPC/fileserver. You'll also need graphics card, and there's a EVGA card that fits and has a fan. Be aware that not all cards fit due to fan/heatsink configuration.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 28, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It can do it, but it's not recommended. The thing about spindown and headparking when idle (and spin-up when doing anything or scheduled scrubs/S.M.A.R.T checks or anything at all happens) is that it causes more wear and tear on the drives, which directly impacts the drives lifetime. Additionally, you'll find that if you do get a NAS, you start using it more and more.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

And wdidle doesn't work on newer Green drives.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I finally verified the production date of my Samsung HD204UI F4EG (some of which are affected by an issue if they're from earlier than December 2010), and have setup S.M.A.R.T tests like this: A short test on the 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd and a long test on the 28th for every month of the year, regardless of the day of the week. Is this too much?
I did not know disks listed production date on them.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

fletcher posted:

I didn't even need to mess with the firmware flash for my 5th drive that sits in the optical bay.
You don't need to, but it's nice to have SATA300 with ACHI rather than SATA150 with IDE emulation which is what the ODD SATA port is configured to have per default.

Run some S.M.A.R.T tests on your drives, that's about the only good recommendation I can come up with if you want to figure out what happened. Also be aware that replacing the drives with 3TB ones won't grow the pool before you've replaced all five drives.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 5, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ZFS Evil Tuning Guide posted:

Tuning is often evil and should rarely be done.
First, consider that the default values are set by the people who know the most about the effects of the tuning on the software that they supply. If a better value exists, it should be the default. While alternative values might help a given workload, it could quite possibly degrade some other aspects of performance. Occasionally, catastrophically so.

More often than not, lousy performance is due to misconfiguration.
If you suspect you have one, don't be afraid to save your config and completely wipe your FreeNAS installation (ie. leave the pool alone/dismount it before making any changes, then just reinstall FreeNAS from scratch). It's an appliance system, it's kinda meant to be run that way.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 12, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Yes, it accepts 3TB disks just fine. Incidentally, here is a list of known-good drives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ninja Rope posted:

Has anyone had luck getting > 8 gigs of ram into an N40L?

Here are some that are verified known-good:
ECC: Super Talent DDR3-1333 8GB/512Mx8 ECC Samsung Chip Server Memory - W1333EB8GS
Non-ECC: Corsair 8GB DDR3 1333MHz XMS3 CMX8GX3M1A1333C9, GSkill Ares F3-1333C9D-16GAO, Patriot Gamer2 PGD316G1333ELK