Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
I am running FreeNAS 11.2 right now. I am using it solely for PLEX at the moment.

I have a RAID-Z2 set (6x4TB) with a single pool and single dataset that I have mostly filled up.

I bought some external disk shelves and more disks, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to move forward.

Internal:
4TB Drives (x6) - RAID-Z2 vDev
400GB SSD (x1) - cache

External:
8TB Drives (x6) - not part of a vDev
4TB Drives (x18) - not part of a vDev

What's my best path forward? Turn the 8TB drives into a RAID-Z2 and add that vDev to the existing pool? Make a bunch of mirror vDevs with the new drives, make a new pool, migrate the data over (what's the best way?), and then add the existing drives into that pool?

Any suggestions or tips appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

D. Ebdrup posted:

Put the 24 drives in 3x 8-disk RAIDz2 vdevs, and each time you buy a new harddrive you replace a 4TB one.

Thanks for the post! Are you saying I should make a new pool out of these 3 new 8-disk RAIDz2 vdevs, or should I be able to add these vdevs to my existing pool? I had read mixed information about mixing 6-disk and 8-disk vdevs in the same pool.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Received my Elements from Amazon today and just shucked em. Loaded one up in my Unraid, and of course it can't see the drive. Anything special I need to do with the drive after shucking it? I thought I remembered seeing you have to tape over a power connector pin or something?

Of course, the loving things came like this with no padding, so who knows:

I also ordered two Elements from Amazon (12TB) and they arrived yesterday. One of them was definitely DOA (tried it the USB case, shucked, shucked with 3.3V pin taped, USB adapter to PC, etc), the other worked fine, so I'm processing an RMA and unshucking it.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
Deal today: WD 12TB Elements - $175
$175 from Amazon (Prime Day)
$175 from NewEgg
$175 from B&H

BestBuy has a new easystore 12TB SKU for $175, different from the old one.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Samadhi posted:

Are the drives inside the same as the standard 5400rpm desktop drives on these (shuckable)? I was looking at getting 2x 8TB Seagate drives for storage on a new desktop, but this would be much better

Yes, these are the shuckable ones (albeit might need the voltage / SATA power fix, depending). WD Reds inside, big enough to not be SMR.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Enos Cabell posted:

On Plex do subtitles still require transcoding the video stream?

Depends on the player and depends on the subs.

If the subs are in SRT, there are a bunch of players that support that natively (no transcode).

If the subs are in PGS, there are a lot fewer players that support that natively (no transcode).

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

The Milkman posted:

What's everyone using to run Docker on Free|TrueNAS nowadays? I had a decaying RancherOS VM from when that was supported but I need to migrate due to.. user error. I just want something I can feed my docker-compose yaml and have it just self update. I use Fedora desktop, so I was looking at Fedora Server or CoreOS, which seems ideal if I can figure out their 18 configuration formats. But if there's something simpler I'm all ears

I just use an Ubuntu VM for that. I know Ubuntu enough that I can manage the "host" layer if I have to.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
Just updated my X10SRL-F to 3.90 and have that HTML5 goodness. Thanks for the tip!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
I am building a new NAS (TrueNAS Core) and am trying to figure out the best approach for balancing drives is.

I have qty 38 of 12 TB drives, and qty 34 of 18 TB drives.

How would you allocate these across vdevs?

I was thinking something like:

RAIDZ3
Qty 3 of 12-disk vdevs of 12 TB drives (36 drives)
Plus qty 2 spares

Qty 3 of 11-disk vdevs of 18 TB drives (33 drives)
Plus qty 1 spare

And just put that all into a big pool. RAIDZ3 for 11-12 drives seems fine, not burning too many for parity, keeping the vdevs spindle count the same (although space will be ~25% different).