Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Col. Mustard
Nov 26, 2000

Initech Administrator
Good to know that about NASLite. I was about to drop the $30. Will try FreeNAS first.

Hope I can RAID1 together 2 external USB drives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Col. Mustard
Nov 26, 2000

Initech Administrator
FreeNAS trip report.

I moved all my movie files from my HTPC to my main PC. HTPC running Server 2003, PC running XP SP3. Data transfer rate was 75-80 Mbps over my 100Mb LAN.

Installed FreeNAS via USB key on the former HTPC. Formatted HD with UFS, mounted drive, created NFS share and SMB share, set perms to 777.

Mapped drive to smb share on the main PC. Transfer rate was 35-40Mbps. What?
Checked the network settings on FreeNAS tried changing from Auto-Negotiate to 100/Full Duplex. No change. WTF.

Same hardware, same network, different OS. Less than 1/2 network performance.

Any other ideas to tweak FreeNAS (FreeBSD) SMB share to improve performance?

Col. Mustard
Nov 26, 2000

Initech Administrator
Have you benchmarked the SMB throughput using NasLite yet? I'd like to see if it can beat the lovely FreeNAS throughput.