Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

crm posted:

Ok, so to do the 6 drive RAID-Z2 via FreeNAS on the N40L/N54L, what hardware do I need beyond the machine, 6 hardrives and a USB stick?

In addition to the drive mounting and connecting goodies above post, don't forget some memory, ZFS is a ram hog. Personally I just bought 8gb of DDR3, didn't even worry about ECC or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Zen Punk posted:

Hey guys,

This is more of a hard drive issue than a RAID issue, but this is the only storage-related thread I see in SH/SC so:

I'm currently in the process of building a new(to me) rig and I've bought some new drives to go in it. The OS/installed programs etc. will be going on a 120GB Samsung 840 SSD. I've also got a 1TB 7200rpm Samsung Spinpoint F3, a 2TB WD20EARX, and two 1TB WD10EADS. At first I was thinking about some sort of RAID setup, but after I discovered I couldn't buy another F3 at the discounted price I got the first one for, I said gently caress it.

I'm generally going to be using my machine for video editing, browsing/word processing, watching movies, and some gaming. Possibly audio/music production as well in the future. All amatuer stuff, working with video captured from family vhs movies, or imported from consumer HD camcorders. I'm trying to figure out how to best set up my drives for good performance and maintaining good backups.

My current plan is to use the F3 as working space for importing/capturing/editing video or audio, large game installs, swap file, and anything else where speed is a factor. The 2TB Caviar Green will be used 1)to back up the F3, either the whole thing or just a portion I deem to be 'important' 2)general storage for music, movies, other large data files. I have a 500gb WD Mybook World Edition NAS that I'm hoping I can upgrade with one of the 1TB Caviar Greens. I would use that as a redundant backup of whats on my PC. (I've barely used it, it's a bit confusing and I got it second hand. If anyone can help me out with that, I'd appreciate it.) The remaining 1TB drive will most likely become the primary drive in one of the other machines I'll be building out of my (many, many) spare parts.

So, is this all a good plan? What kind of backup software/plan should I try? Is One Big Partition the way to go for all these drives? I plan to use Windows 7 pretty much exclusively - is there any reason to not use NTFS(except for the Mybook - it uses it's own linux-based thing)?

I'm not very experienced with these things. I've built lots of PC's, mind you, but I've never ran with good backups, and I'm lucky I haven't lost more data so far than I have. HALP storage goons! (thanks)

It sounds like you have a solid plan laid out already. Use the SSD for the OS and applications (you can move games on and off with steam or steam mover), the F3 for workspace with your large video files, and the 2TB green to back them up (or if you upgrade your nas it won't be quite as important as long as backups are frequent) and for bulk storage. I don't happen to know anything about that particular NAS so I can't really add much to that part of your plans. For backups I've been using Cobian Backup for a couple of years:
http://www.cobiansoft.com/cobianbackup.htm
It's free and can use volume shadow copy to back stuff up in windows. You setup a task which has backup type (full, differential, incremental), locations (what directories or files to copy and where to put them) and then a schedule which can be anything (I've got some clients syncing files every 5 minutes to a NAS but I use 60 minutes myself usually).
There's tons of other backup software available of course, find something you can just setup and forget about.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Zen Punk posted:

Can anyone set me straight on this?

Partitioning is pretty much personal taste. I like to use one big partition for most drives unless there's some reason not to, but none of what you're looking to do seems like you'd need to partition the drives in a special way. NTFS is pretty much the way to go for windows 7, using another filesystem would probably limit you in your video editing. FAT32 for instance has a maximum file size of 4GB.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Lowen SoDium posted:

I need some advice...

I currently have a RAID 5 array of five 1TB Seagate drives, with a sixth drive I have as a hot spare. The RAID is controlled by an Intel Matrix Storage controller on the motherboard and it has been come really unreliable. It goes in to degradated state and has to be rebuilt about once ever 2 months. It usually doesn't give me any information as to why it failed. It just marks a drive as failed and that's it. If I test the "failed" drive, it almost always comes back clean.

What ever, I am pretty much done with this set up and want to do something new. I need to be able to store at least 3TBs, but anything more than 5TB is probably a waste for me currently.

I am considering the following:

1: replace the five 1TB array with two 3TB drives and set them to RAID 1 in Windows using software, not the motherboard RAID. I don't get as much storage, but I get enough for my needs and it reduces the number of drives which should reduce the chance of drive failures and it gets me off of the motherboard raid. This is the cheapest of my solutions at about $300.

2: Buy a Netgear ReadyNas 4 bay NV+v2 or Ultra 4. These things run between $400 and $600 with out drives. I have a couple of 2 TB drives that are currently in a USB inclosure that I can put in to one of these plus buy another 2 TB drive to get 4TB of storage in RAID 5 mode. Once again, I will have few disk and less of a chance of failure. ReadyNas's also support expanding arrays buy adding disk and you can hang external USB disk off of them so I can kind of easy in to it financially. They also support running apps like SABNZB and Sickbeard on them. These apps are community supported, so I don't know how well they really work. The biggest down side I see to this set up is that these little NASes are kind of expensive for the hardware that is in them. I can build a system with much better specs in a similar form factor for less. Also, as discussed in this thread a lot, RAID 5 is not enough for large disk, so until I added some external disk to back up to, my data would be less protected. I can get started with this option for $600 to $800, and add more drives at a later date.

3: Build a new system and run FreeNAS/NAS4Free/Linux-with-ZFS. This option ends up costing about the same as above, but it gets me more powerful hardware that I can run more apps on. For all of it's strengths, ZFS's biggest downside is that you can not expanded raid arrays with out replacing each of the disk, one by one, with large disk. If build a system for $400 or so, and use three 2TB drives in a RAIDz5 array, plus mirror or copy the data to the two 2TB USB drives I already have, this ends up costing about $700 to $800.

So here are my questions.

First off, does anyone see anything wrong with any thing I said above?

Is anyone using a ReadyNas NV+v2 or Ultra 4? Have any feed back on use them?

Whats the benefit of FreeNAS vs NAS4Free vs ZFS on Linux?

Is there something else I should be considering?

I like option 3 the best, but my NAS is an HP Proliant Microserver N40L. I feel it gives the most control over configuration and what OS I'm using. Before you go to the trouble, you might look at updated firmware for your Sea gate drives. I have four 640GB 7200rpm Seagates in RAID-5 and they used to drop out of the raid pretty often under any high I/O operations which caused a lot of problems. A couple of years ago Seagate released new firmware for them that completely fixed them.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

FCKGW posted:

I'm running an N40L with WHS 2011 on 4gb ECC ram. If I want to go to 8gb should I stick with ECC or does it not matter? This is a personal home server, my important stuff is offsite as well.

It doesn't matter as long as all of the ram is of the same type. If they're the same price, get ECC. If not, don't. I have 8 gigs of non-ecc running FreeNAS and it's fine.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I like to use Cobian Backup for Windows. It uses the volume shadow copy service to back stuff up and it's freeware (the guy's actually trying to sell the source now that he's on version 11). It can do full backups separated with timestamps or incremental backups and it has schedule settings for certain times/days/months or just a timer like every 180 minutes or whatever. I've found that once set up it's very reliable and I've got it running on about a dozen PCs, some with network backups, some with external HDs. The only thing it won't do is delete things from the backup location if you're doing incremental mode.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Killer_B posted:

The HP Microservers seem to go on sale semi-often...Anybody remember how often? I'm thinking of getting one (N54L, most likely) at some point in the future when they do.

I'll likely run unRAID on it, and it seems like a good solution. Your suggestion is also a good one, however.

They seem to go on sale every couple of months. There were two or three newegg sales on them in the last couple of months probably due to black friday adding an additional one.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The HP Proliant Microserver N54L is on sale for $199.99 or $169.99 with visa checkout from Tigerdirect (shipping isn't free):
https://slickdeals.net/f/7411968-hp...com?src=pdw&v=1

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Fry's seems to be doing a 4x 3TB WD Red for $389.96 deal.
http://www.frys.com/product/8351387

https://slickdeals.net/f/7504982-fry-s-4x-3tb-western-digital-red-drives-389-free-shipping?v=1

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

salted hash browns posted:

What's more of an issue? A laptop or external drives?

External drives is probably the bigger problem since your transfer speeds to those disks will be limited more by the SATA to USB adapters inside the enclosures more than anything else. Laptops also aren't amazing for running 24/7 due to the tiny fans that tend to wear out and get clogged with dust within a couple of years. With low CPU use it may not be too bad, however. That said, it will probably work fine with those caveats. It's a weird build but it makes use of existing stuff and saves money for some inconvenience, which is a fair trade off as long as you know what you're getting into.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

dorkanoid posted:

When do you guys swap drives?

I have a drive that apparently passes SMART, but has Raw_Read_Error_Rate: 60798086 and Seek_Error_Rate: 74216291 (while the other disks in the NAS have 0 on these parameters), I'm trying to figure out if I should run out tomorrow to get a replacement, or if I should gamble it...

I replace them when they've gone bad. That disk has gone bad. It's time to replace it before poo poo gets hosed up.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

DNova posted:

You use the screws that are on the door of the case and they ride on the built in rails.

You also need the hacked Russian BIOS.

I put a fifth drive in my N40L without an altered bios. There's an extra sata port on the board you run a cable to and it shows up fine in FreeNAS. I don't know if it's slower without that BIOS, however.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

The normal BIOS puts the fifth port in IDE emulation mode, ideally you want it also in AHCI mode. That is what the russian bios does and also makes the eSATA port a port multiplier, making it possible to hang multiple drives off the port instead of one.
I flashed the BIOS a long time ago, no problems whatsoever.

Ah that's good info, I'll probably end up doing it then.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Tiger.Bomb posted:

I have never used smartctl.

Here's the output compared to fdisk
http://pastebin.com/JVQHw8xc

Yeah seagates that build up huge numbers of read errors like that (if it's not the sata cable) are dying, I have one here that's worthless and only a couple years old. It's only showing 1 bad block but there are probably more hidden by the firmware.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Internet Explorer posted:

So... got woken up to a loud beeping coming from my Synology. Looks like one drive is in a "crashed" state but the SMART test passes as normal. The Raw_Read_Error_Rate is 172 but that doesn't seem to terrible. Rest of the stats look fine. Anyone have a guess why my NAS is trying to flag the drive as bad but SMART is "healthy?"

I guess it is the Multi Zone Error Rate? Pretty strange that SMART says its healthy though. I have backups, just trying to figure out if it should be RMAed and restore from backups.

Does your disk have TLER? Maybe it got an error and was busy trying to correct it for too long and it got dropped?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

spoon daddy posted:

Those Toshiba 5TB look like a bargain? Am I missing something? I've needed to upgrade my WD 2TBs. I was originally going to wait until Black Friday/Cyber Monday. Any reason I shouldn't jump on this?

The one year warranty is worrying, but I have a couple of toshiba drives that have been excellent.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The power supply in my HP N40L seems to have up and died after 3 1/2 years. I pulled it out and with just a basic load PSU tester it does nothing at all. Based on the ridiculous prices for them I went ahead and ordered a 160Watt Pico-PSU and some splitters for the molex connectors. Hopefully that will be sufficient!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

If you could post how this works out, my friend is thinking about doing the same.

So after a day of switching drives and resilvering my NAS is now running on three HGST drives. ZFS really is awesome.

My choice of a Pico-PSU was due to the small size and the lack of a fan. The PSU in the HP Microserver is very small and I think a Flex ATX PSU will fit, but I figured it would be worth upgrading to something that may last longer than 3 years (I hope). I read someone's blog who replaced his Microserver's PSU with a 120 Watt Pico-PSU and it fit under the drive cage. The original PSU is 150 Watts and I have five disks, so I decided to go for the 160 Watt Pico-PSU. I knew that it is physically bigger than the 120, but it was hard to tell how much bigger from the measurements they provide. Unfortunately, it's too big to fit under the drive cage:

Even though it wouldn't fit in the actual ATX connector area, after briefly considering desoldering the atx plug and resoldering it at an angle, I decided to just get an ATX power extension and use it that way. The case has a fair amount of room for extra crap to be shoved in where the PSU used to be. In addition to the 160 Watt Pico-PSU + 192Watt power brick bundle, I got a short Molex Y adapter, two longer Molex Y adapters, a SATA power extension, and an ATX power extension. I don't like to use so many extensions and splitters, but there's no real options with the Pico-PSU since it only comes with one Molex and one SATA power connector. The Microserver needs 4 Molex power connectors for the backplane on the drive cage and then power to whatever you have in the top bay (if anything, I have a fifth HD).

So I put the power connector for the external brick through the old PSU area into the back of the Microserver and screwed it in (just halfway but it won't be under much stress):

I put the molex splitters on and tucked them into the previous PSU area. I ran the SATA power through to the 5th bay. I tucked the Pico-PSU into left side where the old PSU's end was:

I managed to keep it all inside the case and clear of the door hinge so despite all of the extra wires it fits neatly in the case. I double checked the connections and then plugged in the 192 Watt transformer in (it's kind of huge) and it fired up with no problem. I'm not too worried about heat in the nest of cables because the system regularly draws very little power. Overspeccing it should keep the components on the Pico-PSU cool but allow it headroom for disk spin up. I'm going to keep checking on it with a non contact thermometer for a while just to be sure nothing's getting too hot but so far the Pico-PSU PCB doesn't seem to have any components over 90' F, which is cooler than the CPU heatsink.

The Pico-PSU and transformer were about $80 (they have free shipping on the manufacturer's site if you're buying over $50) and then the extensions and splitters were maybe another $30 (which I got on amazon, mainly due to the fast shipping). It's definitely cheaper than an "official" Microserver PSU but more expensive than a generic Flex ATX one. Whether it is worth spending so much on the Pico-PSU is a question I won't be able to answer until it's successfully run for a few years. I don't have any upgrade plans for the NAS at the moment so we'll see how it goes. I definitely wasn't expecting the original PSU to die so quickly, but at least it didn't damage anything in the system when it did.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Thanks for this, I will forward your experiences to my friend.

Does it make less noise now? That was one the things that really turned me off from my Microserver, the constant humming. My TS140 makes less noise even though it has more moving fans.

Yeah, it's a lot less noisy. The 120mm fan in the back and the drives are the only moving parts now. I have to get about a foot away to hear the fan, which is just a low wooshy air noise, the drives can be a little bit more audible but only when they're doing stuff. The 40mm fan(s) in the PSU, even though they're fairly slow, were definitely the most audible thing in the system just because they're high pitched.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

japtor posted:

So uh, how do platters do against liquid damage? Punch a hole and toss them into a bucket of water or soda? (Or whatever household liquid that could corrode the platters if there is one)

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-to-destroy-a-hard-drive-permanently/

quote:

Water might short out the electronics, but that’s about it. “The data's still on the platters, regardless if they got wet or not,” explains Russell Chozick, vice president of Flashback Data, a data-recovery firm in Austin, Texas. As long as the platters are not allowed to dry out, which he says could leave hard-to-clean residue behind, forensics experts should be able to recover data with relative ease.

Sounds like drilling holes in aluminum platters is the way to go, or shattering glass ones based on that article if you're sufficiently :tinfoil:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Thermopyle posted:

Also...I've run out of space in my already-huge case for hard drives. I've either got to retire perfectly functional 2TB drives or figure out a way to add a secondary box for drives. What's a good solution for that?

You could get an external enclosure for the disks if you've got an e-sata port that supports multiple drives like:
Mediasonic ProBox HF2-SU3S2 4 Bay 3.5" SATA HDD Enclosure - USB 3.0 & eSATA Support SATA 3 6.0Gbps HDD transfer speed https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003X26VV4/

There are also bays that fill three 5.25" bays and give you space for 4x 3.5" disks like this:
Rosewill 3 x 5.25-Inch to 4 x 3.5-Inch Hot-swap SATAIII/SAS Hard Disk Drive Cage - Black (RSV-SATA-Cage-34) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DGZ42SM/

I'm not sure of the quality of either of those specific manufacturers since I haven't used an external enclosure since SCSI in the 90s but those links may get you started looking.

Alternate answer: build a second computer. :getin:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The other disks don't have reallocated sectors. There was one with a raw read error rate of 2 and one with UDMA CRC error of 1 but those aren't as big of a deal as long as they don't rapidly increase because those are less about the disk having failing parts in it and more about errors during an operation that a lot of different parts could have had a hand in (bad cables can often cause those if you see a lot of them, etc).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The not-Seagate is usually the best choice but there's no harm in getting mismatched disks in case one company has a bad run of disks of one model. In my nas I have a Hitachi, Toshiba, Seagate, and 2 WD reds.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

PerrineClostermann posted:

Reposting for assistance

WD Reds or HGST NAS drives are good. Arguable drive life stats:
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-benchmark-stats-2016/

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Twlight posted:

Should I be focusing on a certain brand of drives? The last time I bought a spinning disk was a long time ago, and I've noticed that there are the WD Red drives as well as Seagate "Ironwolf" drives which seem to be focused on the NAS market. From looking around there seems to be good reviews for both, should I just be shooting for price? these are the 2-3tb drives, if that makes a difference?

Only three companies make hard disks. WD, Seagate, and Toshiba. WD owns Hitachi's drive making facility which leads to the HGST branded WD drives. All of the companies have good and bad disks, although I have had more issues with Seagate disks than any other company. HGST and WD Reds are well regarded. I think the jury is still out on the new seagate nas drives but goons have already had issues with some of them.

There's no accurate way to get huge sample sizes of disks to see which ones are good or bad besides large data storage companies posting their numbers. Blackblaze does that, and while their usage of these disks may differ from home use, if a particular disk model has a lot more failures than others, it would be worth avoiding:
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-benchmark-stats-2016/
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-failure-rates-q1-2017/

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Just get a dozen old servers for your house. Here's this dude from Denmark upgrading some servers for the two full racks in his basement. His normal job is working on high end servers at a datacenter, this video is just about some hobby stuff at home.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_j0c695SIE

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

mobby_6kl posted:

So back to square one. Are the Ironwolf drives ok? Backblaze doesn't seem to have those but they're a bit cheaper. Otherwise 4Tb Red or HGST are pretty similar.

Check these posts:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2801557&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=428#post477818272

I'd stay away from them but I've had trouble with seagate disks in the past. I have a stack of them that died pretty early.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

garfield hentai posted:

Are devices like the Seagate personal cloud any good? I have a TB 3.5" drive that I use primarily as a torrent/media/emulator drive and wanted to put it on a NAS so a) I could sync up roms and saves across all my devices and b) I'm planning on moving to a miniITX setup that won't fit a 3.5". Streaming video from it would be cool I guess but since my main PC uses my TV for a monitor already it doesn't matter that much. I was looking at some of the enclosures for $150ish but it seems silly to put my old lovely 5200 RPM 1 TB drive in an enclosure when, for the same price, I could get a new device with 3TB of storage. Is there something horribly lovely about them or would they be fine for my purposes?

I haven't used it myself but the reviews seem pretty bad:
https://smile.amazon.com/Seagate-Personal-Storage-Device-STCR3000101/dp/B00PZZZMQC

In that situation I'd either get a 2TB laptop disk to put in your case (if there's room for one and your SSD), or just put your old HD in an external USB 3.0 case. They don't cost $150.
https://smile.amazon.com/Seagate-FireCuda-Gaming-2-5-Inch-ST2000LX001/dp/B01M1NHCZT/
https://smile.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Lay-Flat-Docking-EC-DFLT/dp/B00LS5NFQ2/

Alternatively get a real NAS for bulk storage since you want to do backups anyway. More costly but it's a one time thing. My N40L microserver is still chugging along 5 years later and I don't expect to replace it soon.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Romulux posted:

Yo when are these fuckin WD Easy Stores gonna go back on sale? Or does anyone have an extra they'd sell me?

I need at least 4TB right now but I can wait a bit if it means I can get an 8TB for a decent price. I saw that they just went on sale at Best Buy on the 8th of this month but they're back to regular price now.. Anyone know how often they drop them back down? The last drop was last month but that was for the holidays, so I'm hoping it's sooner rather than later.

Looks like they're down to 160 again. Last time it was the same price was about three weeks ago:
https://slickdeals.net/f/11206843-wd-easystore-8tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black-160-bestbuy

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

IOwnCalculus posted:

In searching for this post I just realized I've been posting in this thread alone for ten years :stonk:

Trip report so far: Looks like UPS played football with the box. 2/4 DOA - one never even shows up, the other very infrequently gets recognized but offlines as soon as you try to do anything with it. The other two are going through four passes on nwipe. Going to find out how good GHD's customer support is.

Please keep us updated, I hadn't heard of GoHardDrive until your previous post but I might be interested in some drives for non-essential stuff if they're good with their warranties.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Update on the GHD HE8s: The two that were not DOA have passed through three full random write passes on nwipe and are going through a blanking pass now, with no SMART errors of any kind. I'm going to probably cycle one of them into my array tomorrow and see how long it takes to resilver.

For reference, this is the array in question today, and these will be replacing the 3TB Reds:

pre:
scan: scrub repaired 0 in 22h22m with 0 errors on Mon Mar 19 00:22:59 2018
config:
NAME						STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
tank						ONLINE       0     0     0
	raidz1-0				ONLINE       0     0     0
		ata-TOSHIBA_HDWE150		ONLINE       0     0     0
	raidz1-1				ONLINE       0     0     0
		ata-WDC_WD30EFRX-68EUZN0	ONLINE       0     0     0

On the one hand it's worrying that 2/4 disks were bad out of the box, but on the other hand if they make good with the replacements I guess it could just be a small sample size issue. My N40L has five 2TB disks and I'm considering going to 8TB because I'm lazy and don't want to curate the data on my NAS. I've got a couple of the 8TB WD Mybook from the Best Buy deal, but I kind of like to mix up my drives in age/manufacture just in case, which is why I'm interested in GoHardDrive since those HE8s seem like a stellar deal if they're well backed by the GHD warranty.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I bought a new 2TB white label 7200rpm disk from goharddrive to replace a failing WD Black from 2011. The ebay listing said it's SATA III with 64MB of cache. Well, the disk I got is SATA II and has 32MB of cache. I'm sure they'll take care of the issue but it kind of bothers me that the label on the disk also says it's 64MB of cache and SATA 6Gb/s. One of their suppliers is sitting on a bunch of Hitachi Ultrastar A7K2000 2TB HUA722020ALA331 2TB 32MB Cache 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Enterprise 3.5" Hard Drive which they also sell but is putting fraudulent white labels on them to make them seem newer. The disk chassis is identical.

GoHardDrive has 100% ebay feedback with almost 90k sales so I'm not worried that they'll get it sorted out but it sure sucks that there's some fraud with the white labeling. Then again, I wouldn't be buying white label disks if I needed this for more than light use in a short time frame.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

GoHardDrive offered either a partial $20 refund and I keep the disk or they can issue me a return label. Considering the light duty I have in mind for it I may just take the $20. It just really bothers me that there's a label on the disk with fake information.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

H110Hawk posted:

What else did they lie about?

Any raid array worth its salt will disable the write cache regardless.

I'm not sure they lied about anything else because there's not much on the label aside from incorrect info and the size, which is correct. In their email they suggest it was mislabeled at the factory.
Here's the listing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2TB-64MB-Cache-7200RPM-Enterprise-SATA-6Gb-s-3-5-Hard-Drive-FREE-SHIPPING/150629646450
I noticed that in the details they've changed 6Gb/s to 3Gb/s despite the title of the auction.

Here's the disk I got:

It only had one power on when I got it, which I assume was their test before they shipped it. I think I'm going to return it since that UltraDMA CRC Error wasn't there yesterday. I posted the controller side as well because the disk looks exactly like this one:
https://www.goharddrive.com/Hitachi-Ultrastar-2TB-SATA-3-0Gb-s-Hard-Drive-p/g01-0770.htm

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Rotate your drives monthly for even bearing wear!

Don't.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Violator posted:

From a few pages back, hot drat that's a huge price drop from their usual $275. I think I'll get four 6TB Seagate Ironwolves (non pro) to get me going and then pick up four of those WD 8TB Reds when they next go on sale.

Any suggestions for price tracking to find these deals? Is there a site like CamelCamelCamel for more tech related stuff? Or just bookmark and check stuff periodically?

You need to shuck these and possibly disable a 3.3v pin but this is what folks are loading up on. Currently $159, has been as low as $129 but not often. Check the last 10 pages or so for lots of guides and talk about these disks.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-8tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/5792401.p?skuId=5792401

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Violator posted:

Ah, that's what folks were talking about. I should have paid closer attention. Looks like the white labels work with the 1817+ so I think I'll cancel my original order of Iron Wolves from Amazon and try some of these first. Thanks very much, looks like you've saved me a bunch of money. :)

No problem. Since Best Buy also has an ebay store and there's been a lot of ebay discounts over the last few months it's often a good way to get an extra 15% or whatever off those disks, although the price still depends on the current price BB has set. I think $199 is usually about as high as it goes, despite them claiming $299 as the msrp. I've got three of them and they're all in good shape so far, although I won't be shucking them to put in my NAS until I can get a couple more to have five.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Violator posted:

Ah, that's what folks were talking about. I should have paid closer attention. Looks like the white labels work with the 1817+ so I think I'll cancel my original order of Iron Wolves from Amazon and try some of these first. Thanks very much, looks like you've saved me a bunch of money. :)

I don't see the easystore drives currently on BB's ebay store, but there will be an ebay coupon tomorrow (8/28 from 8am to 10pm PT) in case they put them back up:
https://pages.ebay.com/promo/2018/0828/67245.html
There's also a lot of folks reselling them because I guess they bought them cheaply during previous deals. Those are an option but I doubt you'll get much in the way of returns beyond ebay standard.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

apropos man posted:

I also just cut down on the energy use by... putting a Xeon in the server!

I'd been running an i3 6100 in it for a year or so, which from memory is a 54W TDP chip with no turbo boost, so it's permanently pegged at 3.7 GHz.

I used that particular CPU because it allowed for ECC RAM when I originally built the server.

As I've gradually got it running more tasks/VM's I was wondering about running extra cores in there and noticed the Xeon E3 1240L v5, which has 4c8t, much more cache, turbo boost to allow it to idle better and only a 25W TDP. It's more or less an energy efficient i7 without iGPU.

I the maximum clock speed is lower than the i3, so single-threaded performance is slightly lower but overall I'm pretty pleased with it.

(Numbers may be slightly off, as I'm posting from my phone and can't be bothered to look them up)

The lack of turbo on a cpu doesn't stop it from throttling down to lower power consumption. I think Intel's buzzword for it is SpeedStep, and the i3-6100 has it (also idle states). That said, Xeons are neat and the low power ones are pretty amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

apropos man posted:

Oh. Is that something akin to the CPU being rapidity triggered between different clockspeeds?

I hadn't realised all this time that it was a non-turbo.

As far as the Xeon I bought goes, there's another model: the E3 1260L v5, which clocks a fair bit higher than the 1240L that I bought.

I was thinking the other night that I should have got the faster clocking one. Then again, it's TDP would have been almost the same as my i3 and my server's really not doing much the majority of the time. From a geek perspective I should have gone with the faster one but in terms of practicality the one I'm using is more than enough.

I bought it from an eBay seller in China and it arrived at my door in the UK in six days, which surprised me.

Besides clock speed, the extra cache on a Xeon is often a speed improvement . It depends on what tasks the CPU is doing but I've seen folks claim that every MB of cache is like 100mhz of clock speed. Those people really liked their Xeons, though, and I think that that number would not hold up in a lot of scenarios.