Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010
I'm going to college next semester, and would like to monitor my NAS hard drives remotely. One disk is a use disk, and the other a backup location for the use disk (Pictures/documents etc) The NAS is running ubuntu server, sabnzbd, couchpotato, and a samba share.

Should I be using smartd for monitoring HDD status, or should I just have someone give it the good ole ear every once in a while and see if they're still working? I'm near homicidal trying to make ubuntu email work with gmail, let alone getting smartd to play nicely.

What alternatives, if any, to ubuntu would do all this easier? I'm not computer illiterate, I just prefer to use my time for other things, rather than sitting around reading manpages for hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

Factory Factory posted:

But smartd and the ear test are really the best you can hope for. Any alternative to smartd, be it on Linux or any other OS, would just be a different wrapper on the same SMART data from the drives. That and having someone keep a hand on a drive to detect head parks when you're getting stutter issues or head parking is likely the best you can do. Hard drive failure, at its worst, can be a frustrating, uncertain, and unpredictable thing.

I was afraid you'd say that. I guess I'll continue my attempts to make it work. Thank you for your input!

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

movax posted:

The former — just passing through the iGPU for Plex to use the QuickSync engine / HW H.264/265/etc encoding cores.

Your two cheapest options appear to be getting a P400 Quadro in your x16 slot or getting something like the HP 290-p0043w as an external plex server for transcoding.

Do you need IPMI? All of the Supermicro workstation (not server) boards should be able to pass through the iGPU since they support using it as a display output.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

movax posted:

I like having the IPMI, yeah. My specific issue is that the C232 PCH I have just simply doesn't support any iGPU usage whatsoever, and on some Supermicro boards w/ C236, like the X11SSM-F, the iGPU is still non-functional because they don't have iGPU voltage regulators. Switching to a X11SSH-F would enable the iGPU and I'd just have to dig up someone's SAS3008 PCIe card to hook my drives up to.

Yeah, this is the same issue I found when I was looking for an iGPU + IPMI mobo. I ended up on an X9SRL-F (LGA-2011) with maxxxx PCIE lanes, a 9207-8i, a mellanox dual SFP+ card, my PCIE to NVME adapter, and a GTX1070 w/ patched driver for unlimited streams. This leaves me with 1 x8 slot still open for the future and another x4 slot hiding under the GPU I can use with a riser cable.

This thread + the X11SCA-F thread has some info on possible solutions as well, but it was too duct-tape and bailing wire for me.
https://forums.unraid.net/topic/88024-intel-socket-1151-motherboards-with-ipmi-and-support-for-igpu/

Gonna Send It fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 12, 2021

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

cage-free egghead posted:

So I've got a variety of drives that I use for various storage but I'm not sure how to tie it all together. I've got an HP server with Unraid that uses 6x1tb 2.5" drives but only has USB 2 ports and no 3.5" bays. I've got a few 3.5" drives I'd like to use on that Unraid server for additional storage but not sure if USB 2 would work well, if at all with it. I do have the 3.5" drives on another small PC right now but not quite sure how I could pair them up? Any ideas?

Which HP server? Do you have any 5.25" bays?

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

cage-free egghead posted:

DL380 G7, negative on the 5.25 bays. I did look into changing out the current setup for a 3.5" one but those are $300+ and I paid $90 for this thing and have a dozen 2.5" drives to use. They're just all 1tb and I have a few 4tb 3.5"s collecting dust atm.

The cheapest thing I came up with for something like this is to get a Node 304, a cheap(ish) ATX PSU, and an external HBA card in IT mode (9207-8e, $30-40) on ebay and turn the 304 into a DAS.

You could also just network share them from the other PC and use them as your download point for whatever you're doing.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

movax posted:

Yeah — I saw the name and was like "... but where are the optics??". Guess they didn't learn anything from ThunderBolt's foray into that. Good heads up on the connector fragility — don't think these see a lot of cycles but if I do end up with a board with those connectors, most seem to be vertically oriented so maybe I can add some epoxy or similar to help out.

Got any links to recommended cables / adapters that are good from a SI POV?

You also might want to make sure you can get the cables, last I checked Supermicro was out of stock and Asrock didn't even sell them directly.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010
Does anyone else use Windows for their NAS? I currently have everything (emby/sab/sonarr/radarr/etc) on Windows 10 pro and it works, but I've been convinced by reddit/youtube I should be using linux/ZFS/docker for a variety of reasons. I'm currently only using 2x4TB drives, but I have 5x14TB ready to go for my next pool once I settle on an OS. The only thing internet facing is Emby and maybe Nextcloud eventually.

I've been trying out ubuntu server then Openmediavault and I just.... don't jive with Linux/docker. I've used Linux before, I can get around the command line, it just makes me want to scream every time I spend an hour chasing down one issue only to find the next one.

For example: Sabnzbd doesn't work under the linuxserver.io docker image due to a mistake in the image (this took 45 minutes of googling to figure out why I could access the sab interface). Then there's samba; holy hell samba sucks. It sucked when I tried to use it 10 years ago and it still sucks today; the ONLY way I can get it to work is guest mode, anything with auth requires a bunch of voodoo on both the linux and windows 10 side of things. My Macbook can connect to the same Windows share just fine!

I think what I need is stablebit drivepool + snapraid, but I'd just like someone to hold me and tell me everything will be OK with that. Is there any shame in giving up and sticking with Windows? I know read/write perf won't be great, but I'm just serving media and using it as a catch-all.

Gonna Send It fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 9, 2021

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Or just learn linux, which is a lifetime skill that will pay off in spades

sigh I think this is the correct answer, but man it's frustrating. It is not as "just set the config bro" as many linux touchers would have you believe, and most answers aren't very clear cut. I'm currently on 25 days of uptime with windows and it just works?

Funnily enough, I DID start out by trying to use podman, and I got owned hard by SELinux without knowing what was going on for a while. Nowhere in the "just switch docker commands for podman" guides does it mention this.

CopperHound posted:

You can solve avoid most of your samba auth problems if you set your username to match your windows login.

I think you should trial unraid and the community apps plug in if you want to give a non windows solution another try. I don't know how to use docker on any other platform, but on here it kind of just works after setting the mount points in a web interface.

I wouldn't try running a nas from bare linux like you tried because I don't like being a computer janitor.

This is why I was attempting to use OMV after trying Ubuntu, it's more GUI than command line and actually pretty slick when it works. I considered Unraid but I was also interested in learning more Linux stuff, just not this steep of a curve.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

That's certainly a possibility, I have plenty of spare brackets of all kinds.

The current plan is to ditch the 80mm fan idea, and go with a 40mm Noctua fan and zip-ties, around the board in front of the PCIe connector and right between the two small electrolytics. As long as I get some air movement over that heatsink, it should be fine.

This is what I did for my HBA and dual SFP card. both heatsinks went from not being able to put your fingers on them for more than a second to as cool as everything else @ idle.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

priznat posted:

Oh god tiny noctua fans are adorable :allears:

And ridiculously quiet for their size!

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

As long as it's better than the little 30mm 5V fan from my Raspberry Pi project, that thing has a really annoying mosquito-like whine, while not actually moving very much air. Running it at 3.3V is a bit better, but where do you find 3.3V easily in a modern PC?

A spare SATA connector, I guess?

Yeah, it's nothing like that at all. I can't hear it inside the case (Fractal Define R5) over drive noise and 3x 140mm fans.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010
These might be useful for you as well:

https://www.elpamsoft.com/?p=Plex-Hardware-Transcoding
This shows you how many streams each particular model is capable of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_NVENC
The chart in here shows you which generations are capable of encoding what.

E: forgot the special sauce to bypass artificial restrictions on nvidia drivers: https://github.com/keylase/nvidia-patch

Gonna Send It fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010
I like Sanoid/Syncoid for my simple home ZFS backup uses. I have it setup to pull from the primary server to the backup server via ssh juuuuust in case the primary is somehow compromised.

https://github.com/jimsalterjrs/sanoid