Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

error1 posted:

Speaking of data loss, any suggestions on how to backup my shiny new raidz2 ?

I have a bunch of old spare wd green drives now, but since my zfs filesystems are >3TB i need a method to span multiple backup destinations for offline backup.

My dream method would be to use a single usb3 dock and back up like the drives were tape cartridges, but the backup software would need to know how to gracefully pause on a full drive, then let me pull the usb drive to insert the next volume, then resume.

I guess I could buy a microserver and do offsite zfs replication to my parents basement if there's no nice backup software for linux!

That is pretty much what I did. $200 HP Microserver, filled with 6 1.5tb spares I had along with a LSI 1068e card. Stuck it at the parents and remote replicate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

tarepanda posted:

One of my problems is that being in Japan, it's harder to get a decent selection of computer parts at a decent price, so it's not always feasible to build stuff -- either parts aren't available here or they are and they're 25, 30% more expensive even without counting the exchange rate.

The N40L is available for, amazingly, 18000 yen or so right now and there are various sales on Reds for less than 10000 yen at the moment.

The best I could do on a low-priced build was 41300 yen, a bit over twice the cost of the N40L and no guarantees about the power consumption (a worry here) or noise.

A lot of the special cases/power supplies that people recommend for this kind of thing just don't seem to exist here because there's no real market.

Is the N40L's CPU a concern when it comes to just streaming media or whatever? I got conflicting results in google and am not really sure what to think -- people seem to indicate that it performs fine with FreeNAS at around 30-40 MB/s.
Not to sidetrack terribly, but is it really that hard to find a good selection of parts in Japan?

For your original question, I run a n40l with 10 drives for a small ZFS SAN, hitting 90Mb's across a dedicated Intel Pro1000 nic. This has let me run up to 10 VM's (not awesome performance, but it worked!). I also run a second n40l as a 12TB fileserver for media use. No complaints, other then some file permission issues.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I have 7, 72TB (8TB drive) quanta based storage nodes cycling out of production.
Each has 4xSSD and 2x SSD Boot. 10Gb NIC's. Any fun ideas?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Anyone work with Infinidat before? Coworker brought them in for a "deep dive" learning session and I have no frame of reference.
We're really happy with our PURE/Qumulo, so I'm not sure the problem he's looking to solve with them? Cost?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I have at least a dozen LSI external HBA's from my decom ZFS server. Full height and Low profile. I believe they are all 9300-8E, but can verify later.