Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Stupid question time (I apologise, the OP is 10 years old it seems at this point?). I picked up a nice Synology DS218Play recently because I just want a nice little file setup and not have to worry about my various aging Windows devices dying with a load of files on them. Networking stuff isn't my strong point so please excuse if any of this stuff is basic basic. It's sat on my network at home directly plugged into the router, it has a log in for me etc and I can see it, use it. I'm just wondering how vulnerable it is as a device sat plugged into the piece of kit that's connected to the entire planet. I've seen lots of talk about VPNs etc (it comes with Tailscale as a downloadable in the software centre) but is there anything I should be doing if it is indeed pwnable?

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Eletriarnation posted:

Usually by default a consumer router will act as a basic firewall as well in that it won't allow connections initiated from the outside to reach devices on the inside. Unless you've punched a hole in the firewall by configuring port forwarding or something like that to allow you to reach the Synology from outside, an attacker on the Internet will only be able to reach the router itself via your global IP address. As long as the router is secure you're fine, and if it isn't then the Synology isn't your only problem.

Klyith posted:

Your router should be providing some protection -- they have basic firewalls built in, so random traffic trying to get to devices on the other side will be denied. As long as you don't put the NAS in the DMZ* or use port forwarding to punch a hole in the firewall, it should be good. If you want to access your files from outside your home, there's a Synology app to set that up in a secure way.

*a "feature" that I think most home routers don't even offer anymore, because it just led to people being pwned

Also, Synology runs linux and can be set to auto-update. I'm not sure what the default is -- you should check during setup. Auto-updates are sometimes a problem because they can break the add-on packages like plex etc, at least until the add-on updates. But if you want security above everything else, you should do that.

Thank you, much appreciated. No port forwarding has been done and I'll check my router firewall later when I get home to be sure.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Thank you for the previous help, thread. I've got my little Synology 218play up and running and feeding the house various bits of content I've had sat around on external drives for far too many years (I have far too much music, holy poo poo). Picked up a Nvidia Shield TV Pro and am very impressed with that too, the combination of NAS and the Shield is pretty much the solution I've been after for years but didn't quite realise it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

NAS boffins, I currently have a single 4TB Seagate IronWolf in my Synology and I'm going to slam a second drive in to get some redundancy going. I know up thread someone mentioned if you're getting the same HDD to get one from somewhere else so there's a better chance of them not being from the same potentially defective run. I assume I can just slam another brand of drive in there anyway, but what are the pros/cons of doing so?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Apologies, I imagine this has been answered a hundred times or more already but I couldn't see in the opening posts about adding drives. I have a Synology DSplay218 which is serving my little home setup quite nicely with the addition of an Nvidia Shield to do all the heavy lifting with transcoding etc.

The Synology currently has a single 4TB drive sat in it about 75% full. I'd like to add more storage but also add redundancy. I know I can use the Synology SHR raid type to mirror the content but is the extra space sat unusable until I put in a matching sized drive at a later date? Thanks.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

If you have one drive then the only place you can go from there is redundancy, see https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/RAID_calculator?hdds=4%20TB%7C8%20TB

Gotcha, thanks.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Can I ask a potentially stupid question here please?

I have a Synology DS218 Play which has been a really solid little guy sat on my home network as a place to store my music, photos etc. I installed Tailscale and what a great little piece of software! I can now access files wherever, it has been really good.

So my question is about VPN for the NAS, Tailscale appears to be a point to point VPN but not a VPN in the same manner as say the Nord used on my PC. Am I wrong/dumb/misinformed?

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Thank you very much for explaining that for me, it makes perfect sense now.