Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
So if some rube dumbass just assembled a NAS by reusing a 3900X, a new micro ATX board, a lmao K2200 quadro and 12 HGST 6tb UltraStars with a 2.5Gbe PCI card and a very AliExpress SATA card what's the best direction for an OS?

The three I'm considering right now are Unraid, TrueNAS and Xpenology. I realise the latter is basically a shittier version of Hackintosh, but having run a number of Synology NAS in the past I do quite like the simplicity of their interface.

My sensible brain is saying run with Unraid but I'm keen to be guided on which is going to be the least hassle.

Use case is a two way mirror of three Synology shares and running various *arrs and perhaps a windows VM for Blue Iris in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Fractal stuff is properly good, I've just finished a new build in a node 804, would also recommend.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

fletcher posted:

I swear I posted a reply in a thread or reddit post when imgur launched predicting it would inevitably come to this. I just don't think it's possible to have a sustainable image hosting business that is suitable for how people actually want to use it. SA's own built in image hosting is the only thing that will survive long term for the forums, assuming we all continue to support the forums!

I just got hit with a price hike on my Usenet fees for the year and they have over 10 years of retention. For all the dross uploaded to Imgur, it's hard to imagine how the business model is sustainable as a free service whilst retaining a load of data that has effectively been orphaned.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
The SATA controllers on this piece of poo poo ASRock motherboard are somehow broken as hell, throwing random CRC errors on SSDs and crippling the performance of my parity drives, so I switched out my LSI 9220-8i HBA for a big boy LSI 9300-16i which is admittedly overkill for spinners (12GB/s throughput vs 6GB/s lol), but goddamn if everything isn't flying now. Parity checks would max out at 30MB/s before and it's now going at 180MB/s on 5400rpm parity disks. I also doubled up on RAM as it was discounted.

I have no idea why the front USB header cable on this Node 804 is so comically long.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

LRADIKAL posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/you-know-m2-ssds-suck-right/

Lol, bone head does not know what he is talking about. Wants U.2 to be the standard because there's more room for storage and heat sinks.

Cool, the two things that are more useful for a NAS than the smallest possible form factor...?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

priznat posted:

How much leeway does Unraid give with the usb license stick? Like if I clone it and set up a new server if I want to continue without interruption and just rsync the data over the network? Or should I just bite the bullet and move the drives over and then copy the contents to my new disks?

iirc the license is tied to the GUID of the USB drive, which is why it can be a bit finicky on commodity grade USB drives. My guess is you'd clone it, it would then throw a shitfit about a mismatched GUID and prompt you to tie your license to the new USB drive's GUID.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Corb3t posted:

As far as I can tell, Unraid doesn't support vGPU passthrough - it's all or nothing if you want to passthrough a GPU to a VM. There appears to be some github plugins that supposedly enable this feature, but it's not something Unraid supports out of the box.

Getting a Parsec docker container running with the GPU might work, but you'd have to do further research on the limitations of GPU transcoding in a Plex container while another container is being used for gaming.

Seems like the Steam Headless docker is the ideal solution? Admittedly you're limited to Linux game compatibility but that is very good these days for most things that would be playable over a LAN anyway. I'm running Steam Headless with tdarr and Plex running transcodes at the same time on a Quadro P4000 and it's all good.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

KKKLIP ART posted:

I for sure don't think this is the right place for this, but is there a spot where we can talk naming conventions for files? I want to go through my NAS and rename files (pictures, ebooks, movies, etc) in a way that makes sense instead of it being an absolute hot mess. Is there either a thread or a resource that y'all have used to help come up with a naming convention?

I think it's trashguides that recommends having your *arrs rename directories to include IMDb/tvdb references to help Plex in the event of a library rebuild. I'm not sure if there is a similar best practice for books and music, but to be safe all my Tidal rips use their unique identifiers in the album directory names too, though if your id3 tagging is on point that's probably redundant.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Splinter posted:

I believe you could do that on the unraid server via a Windows VM (to run the unlimited client) if you mirrored everything you wanted to backup to external drives (or more realistically USB JBOD enclosures w multiple drives). Now buying another ~$1k+ in drives to make that work just to pay unlimited pricing over more expensive plans might be hard to justify, but it does at least give you another local copy of your data (which some recommend).

Could you not use virtiofs to emulate a network share as a physical disk within the VM, saving on buying a bunch of additional disks?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Cute as my Fractal Node NAS is, the 12 drives I've janked into it are getting a bit warm (50'c under load). A bit of vodka braining and a visit to AliExpress a few weeks back meant that 6 120mmx38mm Delta case fans have arrived with a claimed 210CFM and 21mm of static pressure which should be just the ticket.

Might have to look at running CAT6 to the garage if they are half as geneva convention breakingly noisy as I remember them being in the early 2000s :stonklol:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Tornhelm posted:

For that many drives, you're pretty much looking for something like the Fractal Define 7 XL. It supports 18x 3.5" drives and is mITX compatible.

Pretty much. You can get more drives than specified into the Node 804 with some of Fractal's bracket mounts and a bit of redneck engineering, but it's a right little toaster unless you put in insanely loud, high CFM, high static pressure fans. It just gets to the point where you're forcing a poor solution to such a niche problem that it doesn't make sense.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Windows 98 posted:

Hate to break it to you bud but you too are being a loving dickhead for no reason. I can spend my money however I see fit. Your comment is especially obnoxious because I have already said on multiple occasions I looked into how the flashing of firmware on a controller works. I even posted what guide I had used as a source. Excuse me for double checking and asking people for more advice. What a crime. How audacious of me to assume yall are actually reading the things I have typed that confirm the things you are being so snide about were already looked into. It was not until very recently when I came in here saying I compared the firmware versions that I noticed one was further behind than the other (which still seems like it's dumb and unlikely the problem, and that the card should work on v14 firmware, but thats besides the point).

You guys are so quick to jerk each other off about being right you forgot this thread exists to help people with problems who may not know as much as you.

It exists to solve problems, but you have to have at least the base level of awareness where your posts of "I'll just pay somebody" and "I can't bothered to learn how to do some basic poo poo" will rub people up the wrong way when they're giving more advice than they are being paid to.

Treating the thread like a support ticket is a oval office move just because you dropped 10 grand on hardware you clearly have gently caress all understanding of.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Harik posted:

Is there a disk-oriented case besides the meshify-2? Because it doesn't actually come with hardware for anything beyond 6 drives and it's at least another $100 to buy the rest of the drive kits for it.

Node 804 can do 12 drives before you need to buy extra brackets - 2x 4 drive cages in the back, 2 drives on the chassis floor and 2x 2.5 drives in the front panel. With a bit of fuckery and tight packaging I managed to get 12 3.5" drives in there but the airflow was a real problem. I've since migrated to a Define 7XL but you're back at the problem of needing to buy a bunch of brackets to fully use up the available space.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Aware posted:

As per the above you're going to need to move it all somewhere then move it back.

Keep in mind with Unraid your parity disk need to be as large as your largest individual disk. So if you had 2x 8tbs and bought an external 16tb for transfer, intending to add the 16tb after to your NAS, you would really need to use that 16tb as the parity drive. You can run unraid without parity and add this drive last. Ideally if you're also looking to bump your capacity up you would grab 2x new disks of a larger size, so you'd have 16tb parity, then 8+8+16 storage array as an example.

It might not look that great now but then you're free to add any disks up to the size of your parity drive moving forward.

Just to add some emphasis, don't add your parity drives until all your data is copied over. Massive data transfers with parity disks in place is purgatory, even with reconstructive write enabled.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

RAID3 through 6 all have to have parity calculated when data is initially written, otherwise there is no parity - so are they doing some sort of block pointer rewrite nonsense to post-write parity-compute in the background?

Yep, but unraid isn't RAID :v:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

New slogan being "UnRAID: A quicker way of losing data"?

You're definitely at risk during the initial data transfer, but building two-disk parity on my 60TB array only takes around 10 hours. For the sake of saving literally days on the initial ingest it feels worthwhile imo.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Why should the ingest take any additional time? XOR and Galois calculations using finite field theory are both something computers are exceptionally quick at.

idk, but it does for me, especially lots of small files, it can be slow as molasses. :shrug: I definitely feel like going down the TrueNAS/ZFS road is a more robust solution but I don't want to invest the time into it when UnRAID is perfectly cromulent for what I want from my home server. Everything I'd be upset about losing I have hot and cold backups of in different physical locations and the rest... well I'm on a gigabit line and have multiple Usenet indexers so that's maybe a week at most reacquiring Linux distros.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Computer viking posted:

You know, that would explain the weird problems I still have on my pool. It's my old gaming machine; a Ryzen 3600 on a B550 chipset ASRock card - and I get exactly the same number of checksum errors on both SATA disks in my mirror, while the NVME boot mirror is fine.

I borrowed an LSI/Broadcom card that was spare from work, but it's actually too new; the 9600-16i only just got drivers in FreeBSD 14. The newest I can find used locally is a 9300; I may have to go brave international ebay to find a 9400 or 9500. I also tried a dingy old SATA-II SiS card I had lying around, but it keeps timing out and failing drives; it's probably time to throw it away.

Same, I even RMA'd my B550 board thinking the SATA controller was shagged because it threw up loads of CRC errors when my HBA card worked perfectly. Turns out the SATA controller is just trash for NAS applications.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Smashing Link posted:

Random question but has anyone had trouble with GPU passthrough for a GT710 in a HP Z440 running Unraid? Worked fine in my other box with a ASRock mobo.

All the virtualization settings correct in BIOS?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Sub Rosa posted:

Building a new NAS. Decided to try Unraid after being pretty happy with XPEnology for over a decade I think.

Started first array with 2x 20TB and 1x 14TB drive. They had all been precleared, but I didn't understand to click the button that parity was already valid I guess? So if proceeds to a parity build.

The 20TB drivers were direct to SATA. The 14TB drive was to a IT mode HBA which I've learned runs way way hotter than I expected. During the parity build, the disk on the HBA drops.

Somehow the parity build proceeds without it. End result is

code:
Parity is valid
Last check completed on Sun 5 Nov 2023 03:46:47 AM PST (today)
Duration: 19 hours, 2 minutes, 18 seconds. Average speed: 291.8 MB/s
Finding 2188194704 errors
I pull the HBA and connect the data disk also straight to a SATA port. Reboot.

Unraid sees the disk again. I expect when I start the array that it will need to rebuild parity? But no, it still claims valid parity.

I feel it is impossible for parity to actually be valid as a massive amount of bits on the data drive weren't ever read. But yet it claims Parity is valid.

If I'm understanding things correctly, that means that Unraid is claiming valid parity even though parity isn't valid at all. I don't know how I can trust Unraid with my data now, if it fails to recognize the need to recover from a disk dropping during a parity build?

I'm letting it run a parity check now to see what happens, but I'm so grateful this has all happened before I moved any data over.

Am I misunderstanding something?

Just a heads up, if you're going to be ingesting a lot of data once your array is setup, don't bother with parity until you're done with that or you're going to have a miserable time of it. You're effectively writing the ingested data multiple times (once to disk, once to parity) which massively slows down the throughput.

Additionally, you can pick up a small noctua fan and zip tie it to your HBA's heatsink, which is a big help with how hot they get.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

evil_bunnY posted:

lol what is this amateur hour poo poo

This is good advice in general. HBA's are mostly designed with rack server airflow in mind and people should plan accordingly.

Unraid :shrug:

I made the same mistake with my first build with it, moving 20+ TB to a new array with parity on which took over a week. When I checked their forums, the common advice for a new build is not to enable your parity disk(s) until you've done your first ingest/data migration then set up and build parity once all your data is on the array.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

evil_bunnY posted:

This is so funny because moving 1) your parity should be loving distributed to equalize wear anyway 2) 20TB at SATA 5.4/7.2k speed takes like 2+ days.

Yeah, it's a bit of a curiosity. I think its popularity is that once you're up and running, even the greenest of hobbyists can have it functioning as a NAS with a couple of VMs and a bunch of docker containers with minimal effort or prior *nix experience, whilst still having to ability to go beyond what a commodity grade Synology or QNAP box will allow you to do once you get to grips with it.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Nitrousoxide posted:

Wait, why would you want your data sitting at rest on your array without any parity? That seems... dumb?

It is, but the argument is that it is only for a very short period of time (or at all if you're not migrating from another location). Once all your data is on the array, you assign your parity disks and it will build it.

Of course, if you're doing a big migration, you've already got a copy of your data on the source, so parity is less important at that point in time.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

PirateBob posted:

When you buy a nvme m2 ssd, does it come with a screw to install it with??

Flip a coin.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Aware posted:

Blutac works fine tho

Linus?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Sub Rosa posted:

I just built a ten* 3.5" disk NAS in a Fractal Node 804. Plus one nvme and already ran sata cables to where I can add two more 2.5inch drives later.

I really like it, really. I did replace the fans with four pin fans. It does feel very crammed in the front if you do mount two 3.5" drives on the bottom, and ultimately I had to switch from a very hot and large LSI HBA to a small no-heat five port sata card, but it's still fine?

Speaking of, to go back to UNRAID and ingressing all my data, it's going fine. Very steady at around 85MB/s. Parity on, turbo write enabled. I'll have all my data over from Google Drive well before their ask date to get below 5TB.

Actually I broke the sata connector on one of my old 8TB drives from my N54L NAS. Luckily it was also the one disk that had ever had to replace sectors. Well, only two, and that was years ago. But if one had to be sacrificed to the data storage gods, it was the one. So currently have (2x)20TB+(2x)14TB+(5x)8TB for 68TB total at the moment. Will look for another 20TB around Black Friday to get back to ten disks.

I plan to follow Trash Guides for setting up things, but the guides ultimately seem pretty sparse. Haven't started setting up Dockers. Still need to figure out a bunch of things I haven't used before like Notifiaar or Watchtower or Trafick or eh, some other reverse proxy option? And switching from NZBGet to Sab?

NAS is really feeling like an upgrade and I haven't even stretched it's legs yet. Just feels like the effort I've put in will be rewarded.

Keep an eye on disk temps. The Node 804 is rad as hell, but personal experience is that it gets toasty as hell once you start filling that sucker up.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Sub Rosa posted:

Currently averaging 36.6 C and it has been ingressing at it's max speed for over twelve hours.

I did replace the stock fans with 6 ARCTIC P12 PWM PST. Very happy with them so far.

Good shout!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

VostokProgram posted:

As someone with an 804: how the gently caress did you fit all that in

8 in the back chamber, 2 on the floor in the front chamber, 2x 2.5's in the front panel and if you get creative with fractals mounting plates and a bit of off cut steel you can mount another 2x 3.5s to the rear exhaust fan in the front chamber.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I can't find a photo of it, but that rear exhaust can fit a 3.5 mounting bracket and with some off bits of metal you can screw two 3.5 drives in

It's incredibly dumb and I do not recommend it. I ended up transplanting everything into a Fractal Define 7 XL.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

VelociBacon posted:

At that point where you're adding 'bits of metal' you might as well just drill holes in the outside of the case and screw the drives in through them?

I use a fractal Meshify 2 XL for my main PC and a Node 304 for my server, they're great.

They were roughly 2" strips with a hole in each end, you then screw into the strips so that they're in the side mounts of the drives, like a ghetto rear end caddy with some grommets for vibration damping.

Ultimately disk temps would get beyond 40 degrees so I stopped being a jackass and bought a bigger case.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

But do you really feel alive if you're not at risk of losing a finger?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Twerk from Home posted:

Do helium drives not last as long? We're all buying helium drives now, right? Isn't everything over 16TB helium right now?

It's wild to me that SMR seems to have mostly disappeared, as well as lower RPM drives. I guess those segments just weren't worth servicing so it's 7200RPM helium drives for everyone.

I've got like 14 helium drives in my NAS with over 7 years power on hours, only one is throwing a SMART error for the helium level getting low. They're all ex data centre drives.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Nitrousoxide posted:

I don't really see why anyone would use Unraid if you have even a modest level of technical acumen. TrueNAS is free, doesn't have any of that license bullshit, has a better file system, and if you really want to run containers on the same device you're using as a NAS you can use its built-in container engine (with scale) or spin up a vm (both core and scale) and use any server OS you want.

The marginal gains aren't worth it for the average home user. It's actually really simple to understand!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Do y'all do cloud backups for large amounts of data from your NAS? (Like, 30TB+)

I've been pricing options, even building my own thing by just buying raw storage on Google Cloud or whatever, and it's all pretty expensive (which isn't a surprise).

I'm guessing most NAS owners probably don't have an offsite backup and are thus vulnerable to their house burning down or whatever. Are there good, affordable options for very large amounts of data?

Depends on your definition of 'cheap.' I've set up synology boxes at my parents house and my brother's house. The deal being that they get access to my Plex library on a NAS they can use and in return, the stuff I genuinely cannot afford to lose is backed up on the synos.

Naturally that will probably be a big outlay for 30TB of data unless you're happy to use ex-datacentre drives, but the 'upside' of the big initial outlay is no monthly fees and, depending upon physical distance/internet speed you're assured of a swift data recovery if you need it.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Thanks Ants posted:

Are they all on beefy fibre lines or did you do the initial sync with the box locally

The initial backup was all over LAN, but their internet connections are fine for the regular sync work. One is a 300/10Mbps Starlink and the other is garden variety copper at 50/5Mbps so they can fully saturate my gigabit line's upload speed on the odd occasion something big is added to my 'cannot lose these' files like importing a bunch of raw photographs.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

VelociBacon posted:

What's Kodi's thing? I use plex for tv/movies and Jellyfin for motorsport events/sports. Does Kodi let you set it to just display the filenames for the titles?

Any specific reason for Jellyfin for sports or is it just handy separation? I'm thinking I might end up DVR'ing a bunch of next year's IndyCar season because of the time difference and Plex seems to be pretty unintuitive/poo poo at being able to handle P1/P2/P3/Q/R sessions of a weekend with F1.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Smashing Link posted:

Change of topic but what are the thread's thoughts on mixing and matching drives with a good warranty along with used drives. I built an Unraid NAS for my brother with some spare parts and put one good 12 TB HDD in there but didn't want to spend too much so threw in a couple used 12 TBs from Rhino Technology on eBay. Could have gone all used but seems less likely that multiple drives will go bad at the same time with there being one good on in there.

I buy my parity drives new and the rest is retired enterprise off eBay. Using unraid.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Starting to question going with a QNAP router...

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

tfa posted:

QNAP is an acronym for Quality Network Appliance Provider

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
The market for 2.5Gbe home routers is pretty dire and their featureset fit my needs. Draytek have been my historical choice but once you go above gigabit networking they're clearly pricing for purchasing managers rather than home users.