Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I'm generally sick of YouTubers with either nerdy nasal voices, or polished, hype man diction. If you feel the same, then check out the dulcet tones of my new favourite YouTube subscription.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7wcDwP_ofk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

If any UK people need big drives to shuck, Amazon has WD Elements on offer atm. 18TB down from £450 to £260 which is pretty bonkers. They are all reduced from 25-45%.
I hope they are cheap after xmas and I may get some (not 18TB lol) instead of my plans for some cheap refurbished sas drives.

-e-
I checked around to see if anyone was matching the price as I hate Amazon, but even the WD shop is 15% or so higher lol

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 20, 2021

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

More anecdata about Seagate. I have one from 2009 and one from 2011 that have been working 18 hours per day with no problems.

TBH, I'm trying to put my mind at rest as I have acquired a third. My friend gave me her external drive to shuck and it contained an Iron Wolf (not pro) I'll use it as parity in my new setup, so I hope it's going to last. I'll post if (when?) it dies.

I lucked out an ebay listing for 3x 4TB SAS drives of mixed brands. They were on at £35 each which is pretty good anyway, and I offered £75 for the lot and got it. I'm very pleased, and 12TB is plenty for me. Had to do some messing with them as they were weird sector(?) sizes.
If anyone is wanting to expand, doesn't mind the relatively small size, and is on a budget then 4TB SAS is the cheapest. Either low balling buy it now stuff, or sniping auctions (Gixen) I guess the market is saturated with them after DCs upgraded years back. When I was checking a model number on one of mine a wholesale reseller appeared in the google results and they had multiple thousands of that one alone. £30ish for 4TB is pretty great. Just do the homework as some can't be used, I think IBM System X or maybe Netapp?
If I was going above 4 drives or had anything vital on it I'd use another parity disk for sure though. (and backup of course)

They're going into the Supermicro server/workstation I posted about before, but I'm not convinced I can afford to run it 24/7. It idles at 85W. 110W was the max with the 4 drives being pre-cleared etc and 3 small SSDs too. 120W is about £5 per week which doesn't sound much but money is tight as gently caress.
Time will tell, but at least I managed to mod the PSU to be quiet. Previously I could hear it throughout my (admittedly small) flat.

Hoping to get Plex setup later and try to talk my Dad through the setup at his end and the same with the friend who gave me the drive to shuck. They are both in their 70s and not very computer literate so wish me luck.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 28, 2021

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

There is a SMART value for the helium level. It's mentioned here, along with lifetime data.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/helium-filled-hard-drive-failure-rates/

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

My £cheap 4tb sas drives sure like to run warm. Up to 40 degrees in normal use, and 48 when going parity stuff.
By all accounts that's OK for enterprise drives. If I get any more than the 5 total I currently have, I'll definitely make another (new) parity the priority as they were cheap for a reason. I'll probably stick with what I have tbh.
To be fair though, even though some have 2015 manufacture dates they don't have a massive amount of hours, or power cycles on them.
I'm assuming they'll all catch fire or something anyway and don't have any important stuff on it that isn't backed up

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

History Comes Inside! posted:

Is this a setup I can achieve in something from Synology or QNAP? I’d rather have a little off the shelf box than have to build a small PC to run something else if I can help it.

Sounds like either of those would suit you best. They are as 'turnkey' as it comes, just get one with 4 bays, fill em up and forget it. If/when you do want to set up thr apps and stuff they're more than capable.
Definitely the least amount of computer touching of the options.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 28, 2021

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Motronic posted:

So I grabbed 4 6TB WD Red+ drives (WD60EFZX-68B) to replace a pool of 4 WD Reds that had 5-6 years on them in my Free/TrueNAS box. Was going to upgrade the size but everything was really expensive and these were on sale on Newegg. One of the first 4 simply wasn't recognized. It never spun up all the way. So I returned it and bought another one. Another one of the first batch ended up throwing a bunch of unrecoverable errors during resilvering. Also, it turns out that my "return" was actually a replacement, because a few days later I got a shipping notification and a new drive showed up.

I'm not going to mess with this pool until the holidays are over, but two questions: What the hell WD? and What's the best way to test/do a warranty claim on the one that threw a bunch of errors. Is there still some utility they have you run on it? I've got an external USB drive sled and various windows/macos/linux boxes I can use to run something on. I'm hoping that's good enough because it will be a huge pain in the rear end to actually install that drive in something. (or maybe newegg will just take it back and this is unnecessary)

You just had bad luck. Well, a bad batch more like.
I doubt they will test them. The practicalities of testing drives for a few sectors makes it very unlikely .
I used to work for Amazon and we tested zero. 99% of the time we wouldn't even open the box. Either back to the manufacturer or trashed.
Newegg might be different though, but if they are brand new, and likely from a bad batch they should just straight refund you.

If you are worried about new drives then maybe put a trial of Unraid on USB and run preclear on it. Most components fail at the beginning, or end of their lifetime and preclear gives it a good workout and shows if there are any issues. Takes a while though. Took me about 9 hours for an 8TB drive iirc
I can't think of anything that will use a USB sled and be low level enough though. There's definitely others in the tread that'll know for sure though
-e- badblocks works fine with USB drives, my assumption was wrong

.. E..
Ah, were you meaning to do a test and return the replacements if they throw errors? I think I got confused there. The preclear thing should work, and the return/replace/refund still stands.
The one that's already throwing up errors though, gently caress that straight back to them for sure.
Well, as long as it's definitely not something at your end. I had a missing single cap on the backplane that was loving my poo poo up in many weird ways

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 31, 2021

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Motronic posted:

Cool thanks. And no, I just meant making sure they'd take it back. The one that wouldn't even power up was pretty obvious.

Since I accidentally bought an extra one I'll just toss it in as an online spare. I'm 99.9% sure there's nothing wrong with my backplane/ports/etc. The one that wouldn't power on got replaced with something in the same bay and it's fine. The one that threw errors was the second one replaced in the pool and I put the remaining drive I had on hand at the time in there and it was fine. I just need to throw the warranty replacement in to complete this pool and then I guess I'll warranty the other one and wait for it to come back as my spare.

Ignore my rash assumption earlier about USB being a barrier. You can run badblocks in truenas (and elsewhere) on USB connected drives just fine. Good to know for any shuckers out there too I guess

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Lutha Mahtin posted:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12075/best-consumer-hdds

Is this a decent guide to current hard drive brands and lines? I just got a Synology DS220+ as my first ever NAS/home server, and I don't think I'm ready yet for drive shucking or other advanced topics. I am probably going to be extra super careful at first and do cloud backup on it (like Backblaze/Crashplan), so local redundancy isn't all that important either. I am mostly interested in low noise and power consumption, the most taxing thing I have planned for it is to serve DVD rips to my TV.

If you want to go ultra mega careful you could look into getting the Synology branded ones, or look at the list of validated ones. You'll pay a premium I assume, but it would give peace of mind I guess?

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I seem to recall ATV users having some issues with particular codecs. Have a check in the Plex thread

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

SamDabbers posted:

I can confirm that the PiKVM works well. The bonus is that you don't have to shell out for a mobo with onboard BMC and can just attach it to whatever desktop parts you have already.

Did you buy it before the chip shortage, and if so what sort of price did you pay?

I just had a look and it is £139 just for the header. Even with the poo poo-island tax, chip-mageddon extra, and the war-footing surcharge, it is still hella pricey, even if you have a pi for it.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Thanks for the info. I completely agree regarding the value of it. I've had a closer look at it and it looks great actually.
I worded my question badly really. It's not that it is costly compared to the alternative devices, or having to forgo using some free stuff you might have to hand, it's more that I'm a poverty peasant at the moment.

I've got really lucky though and don't actually need one after all (though I'd love one just to tinker)

I just noticed that the x11 SM board I bought to replace my horribly expensive to run x9 actually has ipmi. It was listed wrongly and I contacted the guy to explain that the "-f" models have ipmi and are worth more that he was selling them so he has thrown in 32GB of ecc ram.
It was only £80 and included an unknown i7. I got more for the outgoing x9 electricity guzzler so all is well
To be fair dual xeons and 128gb of ram was overkill even before the price rise. It was going to cost something like £40+ per month just idling. gently caress that. I wish we had cheap electric so I could have a totally unnecessary rack of old weird stuff. That would make me happy. That would fill the void huh.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

That was cool, I've only seen his main channel before.
The NAS video he has there is even more wholesome. It features his Dad again, and a frozen custard interlude.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

A few years back I reduced my boxes and bags of cables and random old bits by 50%.
Threw away loads of ancient crap, and freed up loads of space. Felt good.
Then I discovered that I'd thrown away the wrong 50%. Felt very bad.
Actually, it still feels bad.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

bolind posted:

I'm sitting on 10 WD 2.5" 2TB SAS drives, manufactured in 2018. What would they be worth on the used market? (If anything.)

Not a great deal. Best way to see, is to look at the completed sales on ebay. Make sure to check that it's the sold ones, and not just ended or re listed ones. Iirc the sold ones are highlighted green. You can order by price to help get a price range.
Since they are relatively low value you might be best to sell as a job lot. Slightly less money, but much less effort.

I've bough and sold sas drives quite a bit and prices fluctuate depending on whether or not a DC has unloaded a gently caress ton of drives

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Korean Boomhauer posted:

Probably not the best thread to ask, but in trying to find some parts for my build, amazon uk says "Temporarily out of stock. We are working hard to be back in stock. Place your order and we’ll email you when we have an estimated delivery date. ". Does that mean they'll eventually get stock again, or is this some generic placeholder? I found it on US amazon but its being sold by a sketchy seller :smith:

Maybe, but that's also what is shown on stuff that's been out of stock for months/years.
What parts? There's probably a different place to get them from, or an alternative part.

Amazon is usually the last place I go for computer parts, I find more shady sellers and ratings shenanigans than on eBay.

It might be worth putting your email in if you have no other options I guess, but even if they do contact you it, it says "estimated"

Computer viking posted:

Do all consumer 2.5gbit NICs suck? We have two intel i225 cards in different machines, and both have a coin toss chance of just not working on any given boot. The realtek rtl8125 on my motherboard just doesn't work at all, which seems to be a common problem across multiple motherboard manufacturers who use it. I see the embedded intel i225 on the Mikrotik router I'm waiting for has a dedicated forum thread about its issues, too.

I happen to have a 2.5gbit switch, so I optimistically thought that the NIC side should be a solved issue by now, but it seems kind of dire.

I've got the exact same nic and it's been totally fine. It's in Dell G15 Ryzen laptop, had it for about 6 months, windows 11.
I know this doesn't really help you, just thought I'd mention it

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Aug 16, 2022

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Oh, yeah sorry, I mean the RLT one

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Korean Boomhauer posted:

ASrock rack motherboard. I guess the RAM I'm looking at is on amazon as well, but I'm not sure other places that have it that aren't terribly expensive. digikey has the RAM but its 70 bux more :negative:

Prices on ram seem to vary particularly wildly. I was looking at non registered ecc ddr4 a while back and scan (I think) was something like £140 ebuyer £110 and I eventually got it off ebay for £90 (roughly, I don't recall the exact amounts, but it was that sort of range)
The ebay seller was a refurbisher and it had a decent warranty and returns policy
Ram is alway pretty volatile though and regional pricing is a big thing. poo poo, the uk prices are now all so much higher than the us. I loving hate this place
Fingers crossed for you :-)

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Q3 was mentioned in this blog post.

https://freebsdfoundation.org/blog/raid-z-expansion-feature-for-zfs/

(I don't know if integration is the same as release though)

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Aug 18, 2022

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Wibla posted:

My new NAS idles at 134W :haw:

That's with a Xeon E5-2670 v3, 128GB RAM, Quadro P400, intel 10GbE card (SFP+), LSI 9211 8i, 8x14TB (shucked WD Elements, so 7200RPM) in raidz2 and a couple of SSD's.

I'm very happy with that.

134, Really? I Don't want to piss in your cornflakes, but that seems too low

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

The Apple TV definitely has some obscure individual quirks and issues with Plex. The Plex thread (if you've not checked) might be able to help

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

@bawfuls
There's loads of info here too...
https://forum.level1techs.com/

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Incessant Excess posted:

Ah okay, I wasn't aware of this. Is there anything I should look for when choosing a stick/card or will any do?
I'm also curious about the first time setting it up. I assume I can create the usb stick from my windows desktop, but to boot from it for the first time I'll need to have a keyboard and monitor connected to the unraid device directly in order to go into BIOS and give boot priority to the stick?

Get one of the tiny wee ones.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDCZ430-032G-G46-Ultra-Flash-Drive/dp/B077VXV323

Or/and one of these things and put it in a spare motherboard header.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/STARTECH-COM-USBMBADAPT2-Motherboard-Header-Adapter/dp/B002GNU2V6

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 23, 2022

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Combat Pretzel posted:

So what's the reason why desktop CPUs won't support RDIMMs? How much complexity would that add to the memory controller? IIRC the server CPUs can run both? I guess that dumb notch moving about doesn't help?

$€£

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Yeah, most people don't care if they have soldered ram, let alone registered ecc.
Sadly.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I've got some old Intel enterprise SSD's that have a fat capacitor, supposedly for dealing with power cuts etc
Sadly only a few 120GB ones so unlikely to save my precious filez

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

You can download what looks to be everything they make. I guess that'd be 10gig

quote:

Veeam Data Platform
A Single Platform to protect and manage ALL workloads, apps and data:

Cloud, Virtual, Physical, SaaS, Kubernetes, VMware, Hyper-V, Windows, Linux, UNIX, NAS, AWS, Azure, Enterprise Apps, and more.

Looks fat to my non-coder eyes

Not giving them my email just to weigh it though

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

The "home" bit isn't like, your house. It's your /home. This shows that it's aimed at the high end consumer /professional market

He explained that recently and I almost fell off my seat laughing.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I had a Perc H730P. They can't be flashed unfortunately. Annoyingly, the have an "HBA mode" but it's no good. I can't recall exactly why but it was a pain in the arse so I sold mine and bought a different one off the Art of Server guy with the money.

-edit -
Yeah, I had a check through some threads I'd saved at the time and they appear to work, but the speed is poo poo, passing them through fails among other stuff. Something about mfi drivers.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 26, 2023

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Boner Wad posted:

Speaking of PiKVMs, is there a KVM solution that works without buying hard to come by Pis but isn’t super expensive?

Pi's are becoming much more available now. I just got a zero 2 W, and I got a 4 last week. From legit shops, not scalpers.
Just keep rpilocator.com open, or keep checking.
Actually, the stores seem to be actually sending availability emails now that they have decent stock.
Actually, I might be best to grab the kvm hat bit off Ali express in case they start selling through those now.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Computer viking posted:

I think I have an explanation for my ZFS checksum errors. It seemed a bit weird that they were perfectly distributed between both drives in the mirror, and that the drives also seem otherwise perfectly happy, which is why I started by checking the memory:

E: Looking at it, I'm running four sticks of memory at their XMP speeds on an AMD memory controller, I guess that alone is a bit optimistic.

I looked at your pic and started trying to rememberif ryzen supported ecc. That lead me to a post on sth saying that it does "sort of".
Anyway, coincidentally, the 4th post mentions getting "wonky errors" with a 3600 in zfs using XMP profiles.
I know you've worked that out anyway, but it's good to have some confirmation

quote:

There is "ECC Support" for the Ryzen CPU's but, the implementation of actual error correcting seems to be up in the air. AMD has not be too forthcoming with what they mean by "ECC Support" with Ryzen. I researched this because of wonky errors I was getting with my ZFS pools that were memory related. I have two Ryzen 7 3700X CPU's with the ASRock Rack X470D series boards doing KVM work and ZFS storage, both of these machines do not use ECC RAM.
The wonky errors I was having was because I was running them with their XMP profiles, once I clocked them down to 3000mhz all the wonky ZFS errors went away. I would suggest buying some quality 3200MHZ desktop memory for Ryzen 3000x series CPU's.

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/ryzen-w-ddr4-ecc-unbuffered.30673/

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jul 16, 2023

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Couple of new Def Con videos that I thought you lot might enjoy.
The hard drive stats one in particular I enjoyed. (It's Backblaze btw)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY7S5CUqPxI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhWyaZ__fL8

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 15, 2023

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Yeah, there was a massive upload yesterday from them (def con) and all the ones I tried were impossible to listen to. Mics clipping and distorting, speakers being way too loud (Corey doctorow in particular) Or being so quiet that even the subtitles fail at points.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Unraid have a page up promoting their "cyber weekend" price reductions (as well as prizes and stuff)
No actual price details though.
From what I can glean from searching previous years, they only reduce the unlimited one though? That'd be a shame as the 12 device one will be more than enough for me.
I'll wait and see anyway as I've 3 weeks of the trial left.

https://unraid.net/blog/cyber-weekend-giveaway

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

If there are any UK people here looking for cheap decommissioned disks then there's a guy on ebay selling HGST 10TB Ultrastars for a listed £75, but he is accepting £63, probably lower if you're buying multiples

I know the US, and mainland EU to an extent see similar prices a fair bit, It's a pretty great price for us here on this lovely island.
They have around 4 years of power on time, and a power cycle of around 10, so totally adequate for iso storage, and cheap enough to run a couple of parity as well I guess.

There must have been a massive DC dumping them on the market as they are all over Amazon Renewed too. They are around £80 there inc shipping from the US, but with a 5 year warranty. I contacted customer service as it seemed too generous, but they insisted that it is correct. Got it in writing.
Not that it matters as the £60 guy wins. He does a 3 month warranty, they're UK stock and the ones I got are error free after doing a badblocks run.

Search HUH728080ALE601 if you are interested

RoboBoogie posted:

or you could join the dark side and install truenas scale

Haha yeah, I've tried it a few times over the years, even back to the freenas times but I always seem to come unstuck with something, just as my keenness to learn wanes. The times that I've stretched out an unraid trial it's been just a bit more approachable. Can't remember exactly the details tbh.

Rap Game Goku posted:

How much of a discount have they done in the past?

Looks like 20% off the top priced one. Maybe something off the middle one too one year, but I couldn't find the details.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

A solution for also needing sata connections is an hba card. Art of server guy on ebay is great
Or even an m.2 to sata adapter (I used one of those for a while, they're surprisingly good)

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

There's even a line in the smart details showing the level of helium in the drives too.
Made me chuckle the first time I spotted it.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Helium drives are totally fine. They'll hold enough to go far beyond the useful life of the drives or it wouldn't be used in the first place.
Got me wondering if they still work ok without the helium, just not as well. BRB, gonna smack a hole on one of mine....

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 23, 2023

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Coxswain Balls posted:

Is there a way to top off the helium in a drive? I know the answer is "probably not" but that would be an interesting bit of computer janitoring to do every couple of years.

The answer is definitely not. I went down a helium drive based rabbit hole yesterday and there's no accessible valve/hole/doodah for filling (or leaking) The whole drive top-case is laser welded shut so the only way in/out for the gases* is by quantum shenanigans. Or a bad weld I guess.

One video was from a company that makes tools for hdd recovery companies. Proper gnarly cracking methods to get into the things, they are very thoroughly shut.

*Seems it's not just helium, but some proprietary mix. Not totally surprising I guess.

I'm on a different machine or I'd link the stuff sorry

-ninja-
I remembered the mad music selections so made the effort just to share that alone. HDD stuff is just a bonus..

Here's the first one when they were developing the tools, so just decided to cnc the fucker open in the meantime.
The video has perhaps the most bombastic and over the top music I've ever heard. Hilariously inappropriate, worth a listen in and of itself...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANMtvYnI1gQ

And the tools they sell. Prices on stuff like this is always "contact us" level of expensive.
Music selection is back to the usual generic product sounds. I've hard this one on so, so many videos...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeIusS38mU0

And here's a random guy again, cnc-ing one open. He finds the part used for the initial filling at the timestamp.
Sound selection is jazzy hip-hop vibes...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92LK-OsNJk0&t=261s

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Nov 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Ah, your mention of host managed smr jogged my memory about a thing about smr, in the enterprise setting, from wd.

https://documents.westerndigital.co...-technology.pdf