Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Any recommendations on an entry level NAS? I'm trying to compare costs of something like a DLink DNS-323 for $160 compared to my own system. I've built several gaming systems but aren't exactly sure what to look for from a server perspective, especially in terms of not overpaying for features I don't need.

Maybe something like this?

Rosewill Case with 400W PSU. It has 4 external bays, and the included PSU is a good savings. Even if the PSU is only halfway decent I should be fine without a big graphics card and as long as I don't go crazy with the number of hard drives.

ASUS M2A-VM AM2. I have no idea. Highly rated board from a good manufacturer with 4 SATA ports. Probably more than I need?

AMD Sempron 64 3400, assuming that processor speed really doesn't matter in this case.

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800. Since when was 2GB of RAM $40?

And then a Western Digital 750GB drive brings this up to about $350. Doesn't sound bad at all for an entry level NAS, and I bet I could make that cheaper if I could find a lower cost motherboard.

Strict 9 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 18, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm getting an Acer Revo to serve as my HTPC, and would like that hooked up to some type of storage system to stream 1080p content via a wired gigabit connection.

I'm just not sure what my best option is. Here are my requirements:

1) Streams 1080p content without a problem
2) Runs an operating system that can run a torrent client and SABnzbd
3) Has drives that can be accessed by a Mac - but I assume any NAS should be capable of this

What I don't need:

1) Raid, as I won't be using this as backup and while it would suck to lose the data, I could live without it
2) Backup capabilities (currently backing up to an external drive via Time Machine and offsite using Crashplan)
3) Storage capabilities > 4TB

Low price would definitely be nice. I'd also like to run Windows Home Server, as it's what I'm most comfortable with.

I was looking at the D-Link DNS series, but I read several (conflicting) reports about problems streaming 1080P content.

The Acer Easystore looks like a pretty good option, though a tad expensive (I don't really even need the 1TB it comes with since I have enough drives)

I'm not completely averse to putting one together myself, but have no clue when it comes to picking out hardware and matching it up correctly. I also have a new house and baby so I don't have tons of time to set one up.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I have a chance to get a few older Dell Poweredge rack servers (2850, 2650) for free. I was going to jump on the chance, but they don't have any hard drives in them and it appears that even older SCSI drivers, like Ultra3, are very expensive compared to the SATA counterparts. Like I can get a new 1TB SATA drive for $80 for 4 75GB SCSI drives for the same price.

I haven't ever really looked at SCSI drives before, so is that just standard that they're that much more expensive due to the speed? I'd just be using this system for media storage so it seems like even though I can get the rack servers for free, it'd be a waste to pay more for those drives.