Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud
No, hardware RAID isn't always better than software, and even if it is on some counts it's often not enough to justify the cost.

Would need to know more about your system and how much you're willing to spend to give better details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud

poo poo Copter posted:

Help! I'm having problems creating my LVM virtual device. Any ideas?
Try 'modprobe dm-mod' - looks like the necessary device mapper kernel stuff isn't loading.

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud
I assume you're referring to the "File descriptor X left open" errors... those don't look right... but can you mkfs on the new LV? What version of Linux are you working with here?

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud
Yeah I have a NS4300N (got it last time it was on sale at Fry's), and it is pretty decent. Promise has been pretty good with OS upgrades, and they have plugin modules to turn it into a DLNA, iTunes and Bittorrent server. The CPU in it is a little weak so you're not going to be able to saturate gigabit with it, but it'll do standard file serving and video streaming duty just fine.

My only complaint about mine is that when streaming a movie from it to my PS3, it occasionally drops out and aborts the movie playback, kicking me back to the PS3 menu. The device then disappears, but shows back up about 10 seconds later and I can start playing again. This could be specific to my unit or even my PS3, so YMMV.

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud

DLCinferno posted:

So I should be able to change the type in fdisk without losing any data, right? It's not a big deal that mdadm can't autodetect the array, but it would be nice.
Yes, you can go into fdisk and use the 't' function to change the partition type to "fd" for each of your RAID partitions without losing data. It will probably complain that the changes won't be picked up until next reboot because the volume is in use, but that's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud
Any suggestions for good tower chassis that can take an Intel/AMD motherboard and between 8 and 10 SATA drives? Server-class stuff would be preferred, but it seems that most cases from SuperMicro or Intel top out around 6 drives before they flip to 12-drive 2U+ chassis.

Goal is to create a server running Linux with ~6-9TB in RAID6 that sits quietly in the corner of an office to do nightly rsync snapshots of a 4TB datasource and keep a reasonable amount of history.