Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Hey guys, got directed over here after posting in the quick hardware questions thread.

We're starting an animation project for a client that is expected to go for 12 months. It'll be me, an animator, and an illustrator working alongside me. The ideal solution would be to have something connected locally to my machine that is decent enough for me to actually work off of (it's animating lots of illustrator files in after effects, there's virtually zero other "media" involved), but that my illustrator can also access directly from her machine and dump files into as she builds them/updates things that are already there. It's a lengthy investment time wise for the project, so I'm trying to build a solution that's small and stays in our office (we share an office) and away from the rest of the media work.

1 TB of data would be plenty of storage. What might be the best solution? A NAS? An internal HDD in my machine that she has network access to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm looking for a Thunderbolt 2 enabled 1u or 2u (or hell 3u ... we have the space for it) storage system that can't exceed 27" in depth.

We ordered the LaCie 12TB 8Big rackmount not realizing it was too deep (just barely).

It's for a mobile DIT cart that will be out in the field and has to be closed up for transport so it HAS to fit that depth and it needs to be rackmounted for stability.

4 or 8 bay is enough and in the $1500-2000 range is preferable.

edit: oops I should probably be in the non-consumer thread.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 11, 2015

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Jago posted:

If you are not going to be actively using the drive, it's probably better to go with a cloud storage service like crashplan or even Amazon Glacier or the new Google equivalent.

What's the new Google equivalent?

Edit: nm found it

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 22, 2015

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
We have an old 8 bay QNAP at work that's been there since 2009 and just put in two more 12 bay QNAPS for our main video storage (120tb)... we've had nothing but a good experience thus far. Their software is just fine.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Not sure if this is the best thread, but we're connecting some our windows 10 and 11 machines to our NAS via 10gbe and I'm looking for recommended NIC cards. I've seen the X550-t2 thrown around but seems to be a lot of fakes being sold?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Krailor posted:

Serve The Home just did a review of a few inexpensive 10g cards that seem to be pretty good.

Oh cool thanks! Definitely at the price point that it's ok if it' doesn't work out

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
correction: *still being an rear end in a top hat

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Have a 10gbe connected synology server at work.

Mac via 10gbe connection gets speed as advertised. Both write and read.

PC via 10gbe NIC gets 10gig *read* but only 1 gig write. I used the same cable with each just to be sure.

Synology SMB setting is min 2 max 3.

Any idea what might be causing the stunted write speed?

edit: PC NIC is an x550 t2 and is accurately reporting 10gig in Windows.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 17, 2024

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Thanks Ants posted:

Can you do iperf from the PC to the Mac and see what they get?

I can try that on Monday!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Are there actual stats on how much more vulnerable QNAP and Synology devices are over larger "more enterprise" brands?

I feel like I hear that a lot (more about QNAP but def some about Synology too), but it seems like NAS' in general are just going to be constant targets given what the devices actually are and that's naturally going to cause a neverending stream of potential exploits and deployed fixes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

priznat posted:

Plot twist: it is actually all old Zip disks

*click*