Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

H110Hawk posted:

New netapp is horribly overpriced, and they are slowly being pushed out of the market by things like ZFS, OnStor, BlueArc, etc. Used netapp is much more reasonable, and they still get awesome performance. By some accounts the 3000 series are actually lower performance than the 900 series for the same money. Only gotcha is the entire 900 series is past EOL, save maybe the 980.

Their hardware is very solid, however, and you will rarely if ever have a problem from which you cannot recover. ZFS has not had nearly as much real world vetting as WAFL.

If you're willing to put up with sales people, though, you can apparently get some pretty decent deals on the hardware. Just remember, the licensing for the software adds 100% to the cost, and then you have service contracts.

They are pricey, but if you beat up their sales people you can get a decent deal (i.e. 40-50% off on hardware, 20-25% off on software and support). NetApp is really not much more pricey then newcomers Equalogic or Lefthand Networks (well, neither is really new, but whatever). Also, new 2000 series can be had as a much better deal if you don't need clustering and are ok with maximum of 7 shelves. Software on 2000 series is much cheaper compared to 3000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Can someone recommend a decent SATA hardware raid-card for $300 or less with 6+ ports? I am thinking of basically Dell's PERC6 equivalent? That would be really nice to have in a home setup. Now, if it had 256MB cache and battery backup, it would be even better. I know, tall order :).

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Interlude posted:

Got my ubuntu server box raid5 going, loving it thus far. Toyed with freeNAS and liked it a lot but thought it was a bit crippled in terms of ability to add more advanced services. EG there's a 3rd party slimserver plugin but it's not updated to use the latest freeNAS version yet and the guy's website says "yeah too busy right now, try again later".

What do you guys use for backup software? I was toying with the vista built-in crap but it's just not configurable enough. Basically my main goal is to do daily mirrors of my photos to the server (and I say mirror because I want it to maintain directory structure, etc., not try to .zip up my JPGs and back them up in a new format like the vista util does).

Couldn't you just use robocopy, synctoy or something similar? I mean, photos are not a huge deal.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Say you replicate your data twice in a RAID1 setup, so now you have 3 copies of the data across 3 different bricks. What are the chances that 2 bricks will fail completely in the time it takes for it to replicate across that gigabit link. It takes 10 days to completely replicate the data over a single GigE link. The chances of 3 RAID6s failing within 10 days of each other is so retardedly low as to approach zero outside of acts of god.

Hell, I'm betting like 5% of their RAID6s are running either partially or completely degraded. And they don't give a poo poo.

Yeap, that's the great part of the setup I am thinking. They are going Google for storage hardware. No idea what their block size is for replication, but say it's 256MB, they can replicate a shitload of those and stripe it through the datacenter in 3-4 places if they want.

It's pretty clever design for a particular function, meant to drive down storage cost. It's not meant to be self-enclosed super-redundant system. If thats the goal, might as well buy a Sun or Equallogic box.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
There is pretty interesting NAS that just came out from iomega/EMC: Iomega StorCenter ix4-200d.

http://www.iomega.com/about/prreleases/2009/082709_200d.html

Apparently it can act as iSCSI, and it's on HCL from MS Win 2008 AND VMware ESX(i)! Also supports NFS with VMware. Plus it integrates with AD, provides remote replication and serves CIFS (and NFS). It also has 2x 1GBe ports and a poo poo load of other capabilities (print support, bluetooth, etc...).

The cost is very reasonable considering the functionality at $600ish for 2TB (4x500GB) module.