Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Well in my scenario I would need to know which drive has which files on it in case one dies. I was just wondering how I could get a weekly file list dump of a drive with no letter associated to it.

So if one of the drives in my TV show DrivePool shits the bed, I can easily figure out what went missing. I am really braindead when it comes to using Windows without drive letters, so I apologize if these are stupid questions.

Oh ok. You can mount the drives in a subfolder but there is no point. Just do what you are doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Thanks so much for the replies! I actually have a bunch of drives already, so I don't need anything that includes them.

I guess something like this would also be OK? https://www.amazon.com/Yottamaster-Aluminum-External-Enclosure-SATA3-0/dp/B071ZP2HFK

A huge bonus is it looks like it supports something called "combined" mode?

If I set the DIP switches to combined mode I take it it will take all of my drives together and combine them as one drive? I would actually love that because dealing with drive letters in Windows is getting pretty overwhelming. Am I basically setting myself up for failure using a $160 no-name enclosure to combine all my drives together?

NO! Forget this BS thing.

Stablebit Drivepool to combine drives in windows.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Hey I need some goon help. Basically I have been using mobos with a lot of SATA ports for my NAS. I'd like to not have to find mobos like this anymore. Obviously I need a PCIe sata card. From what I remember I need an LSI flashed to IT mode (for doing software raiding).

I need help selecting the correct card and cables. The OS will just be Windows 10 Pro and 10x Hitachi 4TB NAS drives. I would like about 12 SATA connectors... not sure how that is accomplished.

Should I be looking at something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/LSI-SAS-92...eAAAOSwoZle8b81?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SamDabbers posted:

Yes, those LSI 92xx SAS cards are the gold standard in inexpensive, robust, and compatible SATA/SAS expansion. The flashing process isn't particularly difficult if you do get one that doesn't already have IT firmware on it.

OK save a few bux that way? Cool. Seems the cheapish ones have a max of 2 ports so 8 SATA drives? Do I need to buy 2x of them or maybe a different set of breakout cables?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

If you get a LSI SAS HBA, you can get SAS expander(s) - which can be daisy chained as far as you like. They can be had for ~$15.
Here's someone doing 120 drives off a single HBA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjFouPv6K-o

There's also the option of SATA multipliers, but those are less reliable.

So I think one of these plus the HBA? https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-PCIe-SA...yMAAOSwsMZdSFDD

Looks like i need at least 2x PCI 4x slots to make this work. Hmm.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Ah ok thanks.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Wendell over at Level 1 has been exploring Engenius products as an alternative. I say, if a guy like him is willing to install it into his house over Ubiquiti, it's probably got something going for it. Looking over pricing, they seem comparable.

I installed some Engenius 2.4ghz stuff in a hotel about 8 years ago and they are still working flawlessly. Ancedotal but something.

MIKROTIK needs some loving wifi 6 stuff. Their poo poo is rock solid for easy home and soho stuff.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SCheeseman posted:

What other brands in the same price range are usable or provide all their features without the need for usage of cloud services? Not rhetorical I actually want to know this.

I was using Hikvision cameras until recently. Still the rebrands are decent values and solid.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
When google said they were stopping the free photo storage I decided to do Nextcloud on a linux server. Threw that through Cloudflare. Tossed apps on my phone. AWESOME!!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

FISHMANPET posted:

I recently discovered that my 8 port raid card in my NAS appears to have died. It was a card using the LSI SAS 2008 chipset (an IBM M1015, the one that everybody was using 7 years ago when I first got it).

Spending a few minutes searching, it looks like there's a lot of inexpensive 8 port cards like this where it's got 6 ports driven by a Marvell 88SE9215 and the other 2 ports driven by JMB5xx. I'm driving a zfs pool on Ubuntu, so I'd need something that will work in Ubuntu and will just present the bare drives to the OS (don't need to boot from any of them).

Are those types of cards the new hotness for us grognards still running our own purpose built NAS, or are there better options right now?

Maybe this happened: https://forums.unraid.net/topic/82469-fake-lsi-hba-cards-on-ebay/

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BurgerQuest posted:

Frankly for home storage I can't see any reason you'd use Windows vs almost anything else. It will cost more, be less supported by a community and almost certainly perform worse.

Stablebit Drivepool and Windows is a nice combo, I have 8x4TB. Then I can run windows programs on remote desktop.. such as quickbooks, qb torrent, Ivideon security software and then i throw a PFsense into a hyperv for my router. Works NICE. I do not have the time or need to dive into linux.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Volguus posted:

Like me last week: rm -rf /usr/local/somefolder * . I accidentally put a space before the * . I was in the home folder. Removed a good chunk since I have a nvme in the 4-5 seconds that it took me to realize the disaster. But, I back up my home folder every week on the local NAS and from there to Backblaze B2. I lost some files, the files that I didn't back up: Downloads folder (I mean ... they're downloads, the internet does the backup), the Android folder (where the IDE resides) other insignificant crap that I didn't want to backup and the Desktop folder. I had a couple of PDFs in there that I feel a bit sorry I lost. Not a big deal, but why the hell I excluded the Desktop from the backup? Beats me.

Anyway, I was slightly annoyed for a bit until I copied and restored everything, but it was fine after that. User error is by far the most common.

I used to make the rm command do a move to a /tmp folder and cleared that out periodically.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
RMA it. Bad blocks isn't the only way a HD can fail.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Chia is a scam.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
loving awesome, love that!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

modeski posted:

I am researching my next NAS. Currently I'm running Windows Home Server 2011 with Stablebit Drivepool on some 4Tb/8Tb drives on an Athlon FM2 with 8Gb of RAM. I built the server in 2014 and it's time for a new one (and new drives) I've never cared for RAID much as I prefer to maximize storage. Maybe only 500Gb-1Tb of user-created pics/vids/documents is important to me and I back that data up elsewhere. I can always redownload Linux ISOs and re-backup my media, but I do want at least 30Tb of usable space.

Research has got me looking seriously at Proxmox, although I'm still getting my head around it and would love some advice if you'd be so kind. As I understand it, Proxmox would be the main OS on the machine, installed on its own SSD. I'd have a bunch of spinning disks for bulk storage.

Then I'd have a VM for a NAS OS, pointing that towards the spinning disks, and sharing that data over my LAN to my main desktop, HTPC, phones etc. Does this sound about right? So I would have a VM running something like OpenMediaVault (which I've played with a little) for the NAS side of things.

Is OMV the best OS for the JBOD approach? Is there a better approach I could be taking altogether? Thanks, goons.

You can always do what I do and use Stablebit Drivepool on Windows 10 Pro. Been rocking and rolling for me for the last 4-5 years that way after WHS died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Not super cheap but i'd be scared of no Waranty.