Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I've had nothing but perfect condition stuff from Newegg, but I live literally an hour away from them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

we'll get to 1PB in a 3.5" form factor

it'll have about 10 write cycles but that's fine

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Is there a decent or at least not-poo poo non-raid 8-port SAS/SATA HBA card? I'm not using this in a dedicated FreeNAS/etc server (actually it's my gaming/emulation/workstation box :downsgun:) which means only shockingly few things will work.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

necrobobsledder posted:

You're looking at the IBM M1015 and variants or the Dell H200 (I think that was the one that's the M1015 equivalent) that have LSI controllers. You need to be careful that the cheapo card you grab off Ebay actually supports hard drives above 2 TB. Almost all the ones you can easily snag for < $30 are not capable of greater than 2 TB addressing on a drive. Additional to the card, you'll need a SAS forward breakout cable, too (presuming you're going from the controller directly to the SATA drives).
Tried one of those, didn't work. Also tried an adaptec 6805E, it also did not work.

I'm hoping the Supermicro non-raid card pulls through, or I'm :supaburn:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

What do you mean by "did not work"? That seems like an overly simple description of a potentially very complex issue.
I tried an LSI 9211-8i and it wasn't recognized by anything I had, nor could I flash it to "IT mode" (ie the only thing useful for one of these, and none of those being sold come flashed like that) It might have been a DOA card, in which case my luck is amazing.

The 6805E just didn't work at all, despite the BIOS seeing it existing. Windows 10 :downsgun: just wasn't having it, neither did Ubuntu.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Skandranon posted:

To be specific, I am running my AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 in a Windows 2012 box with SnapRaid.
A simple driver install and it worked. Thanks for the suggestion on the card~ :hfive:

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 18, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

There's a reason why Toshiba and WD had or acquired solid state storage production capacity.

Seagate has yet to do the same, which is why they're doing silly things like stuffing 60tb of Hynix MLC in a 3.5" form factor

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

5tb for 85 dollars is well within "too good to be true" territory especially on a 2.5 enterprise form-factor drive, hot-to-the-touch Toshiba 3.5in 5tbs only go as low as $120.

Unless they mean production costs, then that's actually a believable figure.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

redeyes posted:

I just hammer-smashed some Ultra 320 SCSI 18GB 15k drives. It actually made me sad. Back in the day I wanted some of them.
you didn't diassemble them to get at the toy platters smh

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Romulux posted:

What's the best (re: price:quality ratio) SATA SSD option for a Windows 10 boot drive? It's only gonna be for the OS, I have another SSD for programs and games. I know bigger SSDs are better, but can I get away with 250gb?
At 250gb MX500 or WD Blue 3D (also known as Sandisk Ultra 3D) are the same price but the former is significantly faster in QD1 reads.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Harik posted:

Why is 3.3v on the SATA connector spec, not the 24pin connector going to the motherboard. There's a bunch of garbage rails on ATX including negative 12v left around from ancient times.

But SATA isn't from ye olden times, and there was no +3.3v on the old molex drive connectors (+5, +12), so where the hell did it come from?

The bigger question is: why the gently caress is no power supply you can buy ITYOOL 2024 SATA 3.3 compliant when that revision defined the "turn me off" pin was released in 2016?

you can't search for it because lol it's version 3.3, just to be supreme dickheads.

E: to be clear, pin3 in specific was re-defined in version 3.3 of the spec to be "turn off this device". In 2016. No modern power supply is compliant*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SATA#SATA_revision_3.3

* Some models from some brands are sata 3.3 compliant but it's incredibly scattershot and is down to dumb luck. It's not something they test for, they just grab the SATA power cables from a big pile and throw them in your box. Did that one happen to be 3.3 complaint? Maybe!
it's for those 1.8" drives. you know, the things that vanished out of existence after the mid-00s

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

If you live in the US or can otherwise get something from a US address Micron sells unbuffered ECC on their website. https://www.crucial.com/catalog/memory/server?module-type(-)ECC%20UDIMM(--)module-type(-)VLP%20ECC%20UDIMM

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I'm not sure the CPU of a NAS is something you'd ever upgrade unless you were doing some madcap "i'm delivering content to 100 users on the LAN" setup.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I'm wondering if I should migrate my TrueNAS CORE install to TrueNAS Scale before I move it to a Ryzen build (as the newest thing you can use with CORE seems to be Haswell/Broadwell), or just export and then import the config file on a fresh TrueNAS Scale install.

I don't have any special apps or packages or anything and all I have is a simple pool with the default things and SMB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Nolgthorn posted:

While trying to give Unraid a try in my locality (Europe) I ended up finding this Asustor branded product instead. This is the first I've heard of it but it seems to have upgradable ram, boasts 4k transcoding as a primary feature, and is reasonably priced compared to Synology.

On the other hand I've never heard of them is it a scam?
Asustor is ASUS' NAS subsidiary.