Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

napking posted:

awesome thread and it's great to see so much opensolaris/zfs talk. i've been running opensolaris for the past few months now in my diy nas amd64 box. i'm running the 1/2008 release (snv81?) now because of the cifs server release. it's been pretty rock solid for the past two months. i installed azureus with remote web interface as a headless smf service.

the only thing that's missing in my build is something like twonkymedia to share videos to my xbox. i tried porting ushare but i really had no idea what i was doing. :(

I can't wait for FreeNAS to support ZFS. It will be the perfect NAS solution with RAID-Z. http://freenas.blogspot.com/2008/03/actual-state-of-freenas-07.html

For RAID-Z, the minimum amount of drives is two correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

maninacape posted:

I posted a while back that I wanted to build a NAS using that awesome Chenbro case, so I bought the parts and finally did it. Here's what I used:

Do you have a kill-a-watt to see how power efficient is for everyday use? (Couple of movies, backups, torrents, etc.) I'm currently running a 3 Ghz box on unRaid in an old shuttle case which is definitely not meant for 4 drives, which is kind of sad. Do the hard drives keep relatively cool also?

This seems like the product for me in a few months, I'd like to stretch out this computer as far as I can :), and luckily ZFS pools are moveable.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
Anyone have any recommendations for a small case enclosure that can house 3 hard drives? I plan on upgrading my unRaid server to a FreeNAS server using the experimental ZFS support. I figure if I change OS's I'll still be able to import the ZFS pool right?

Eventually I would like to replace the old motherboard and processor with a more power efficient one. I may go buy a Kill-a-watt to see how my current setup is. If anyone is running FreeNAS, can you tell me how your power usage is? I'd like to know if FreeNAS will sleep properly, and wake up quickly when someone requests a file. (i.e. an Xbox 360)

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

complex posted:

Woozle wuzzle? Tell me more about this ZFS support in FreeNAS.

If you check out the nightly builds you'll find FreeNAS v.7 based off of FreeBSD v.7, which includes ZFS :) It works pretty well supposedly according to their forums. http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=151951&package_id=229704&release_id=503763

So, running FreeNAS 24/7 is definitely going to up my power bill considerably unless I go get a more power efficient processor/power supply. I was really hoping it had some intelligent states so it could run in really low power until a device requests a service...Oh well. Any recommendations for small, quiet 3 hard drive cases?

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
FreeNAS just released a release candidate of the 0.7 version which implements FreeBSD 7.2 and most importantly ZFS.

Hopefully 0.7 final will be released soon, that along with the new Intel Atom chipsets will provide for a nice low power file server!

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
FreeNAS 0.7 has ZFS built into it. That makes it super tard proof.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

EnergizerFellow posted:

Check out the Pegatron (aka POV, aka Asus OEM) IPX7A-ION330 or Supermicro X7SLA-H/X7SLA-L.

http://www.logicsupply.com/products/ipx7a_ion330
http://supermicro.com/products/motherboard/ATOM/

4x SATA onboard and x16 or x8 PCIe expansion.

I definitely want to buy these motherboards, but I'm curious to see if Pine Trail will offer any significant power savings over the current crop of boards...they should be out any day now (sometime in Q4) http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Intel-Pine-Trail-View-Launch,8046.html

Edit: Well drat it, I just found an article saying they won't be released until Q1 2010, and they won't offer significant power savings AND will be more expensive. gently caress it, time to jump the gun. http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/10/16/intel.atom.400.500.series.pushed.to.2010/

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
Yay, finally, FreeNAS 0.7 stable has been released. I'm giving it a shot in a virtual machine to see how it rolls. Hopefully it'll do everything I need it to (Stream to my xbox and backup my Mac), and if it does it properly it'll be time to go buy some hard drives and a new motherboard/cpu combo!

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

I am going insane. I just accidentally nuked my Ubuntu install and all I have left is a single external drive with all my stuff on it. I am trying to figure out how well ZFS handles 4K sector drives, if at all, especially when they report 512 byte sectors both logical and physical. I am tearing my hair out here.

zfs-fuse is pretty bad. Solaris-based operating systems with native ZFS won't install on my system because of an Intel H55 chipset USB compatibility bug that won't be fixed.

Here's what I want:
1) Snapshotting
2) Writes faster than 15 MB/s in real-world
3) Offline access to folders with proper syncing between multiple computers (no concurrent write access except through aware programs like OneNote)
4) Drive-failure redundancy
5) Access to USB 3.0 for reasonable copy speed to an external hard drive

And I don't want to have to babysit the dang thing.

Here's what hasn't worked:
- Solaris Express, OpenSolaris, NexentaStor won't install natively and I'm not sure they support USB 3.0
- Ubuntu Server 10.10 with zfs-fuse has murderously slow writes and is prone to problems with boot script mount and dismount. Granted, the pools are running on partitions rather than whole drives, but still

Here are options I can think of:
- VMware ESXi on another drive, virtualize NexentaStor or OpenSolaris. Cons: ESXi doesn't have USB 3.0, ESXi might not be compatible with new consumer-grade mainboard
- Keep on plugging with Ubuntu, swap zfs-fuse for mdadm and a separate snapshotting tool (what tool? I dunno)
- Fuuuuuuuck nuke it all and use Windows Server 2008 R2 since I can get an educational license through Dreamspark. Volume Shadow Copy and Offline Folders and all that poo poo 'cause I'm working with Windows clients anyway.

Have you tried FreeBSD? It has ZFS support natively (though it's ZFS v. 14 or so, not bleeding edge)

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

I have not. I may. But I'd be giving up deduplication and that could end up bloating me like crazy unless I find a different way to store system images. :bang:

How long do you think you could live without dedup? From the looks of it, ZFS v28 has been patched in and should probably make an appearance in the coming months in the STABLE branch.

http://ivoras.sharanet.org/blog/tree/2010-12-13.zfs-v28-imminent.html

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
Has anyone setup Freenas plugins and gotten folder permissions working?

I have a mount point in my jail that is shared to sabnzbd. For some reason sabnzbd can't create new folders due to permissions. If I create the folders manually, then I'm able to have files decompress properly.

How do I get this same mount point to be read by users outside of the jail (I.e. through a afp or cifs share)

I can't for the life of me get minidlna working either.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
Any compact two drive DIY recommendations? I'm thinking of downsizing my N40L to something smaller.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
I accidentally added a non-mirrored hard drive to an existing zfs pool. It looks I can't ever remove the drat thing, but is there anyway to keep that drive for separate purposes? I wouldn't mind making it a temporary folder while my raidz1 drives are used for long term storage.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
gently caress. I did zpool add instead of zpool attach again. This was with the hard drive I was going to copy everything over to to rebuild the pool.

Does anyone have experience on fixing this massive gently caress up? I was going to do a zpool destroy, create a new pool with this hard drive and try to do a zpool import of the original pool.

Edit: That didn't work. ZFS is much smarter than myself and would not bring the pool back up with a missing device. How unfortunate for me.

Ethereal fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

If it's a parity disk or part of a mirror missing, you should be able to force it online. Unless it was a single disk vdev that faulted, then the pool's screwed.

Unfortunately the whole thing is hosed. I had a 3 drive raidz-1 vdev, another vdev in the pool with a single small HD, and then I added another vdev to the pool by accident. Removing a single vdev, even if there was nothing written to it ruins the pool. Fun times. Lost a lot, but nothing critical. Just a ton of raw video and photo footage I had taken. It's too bad I can't grab files off of the other vdevs even in this case. ZFS seems to say if this happens, the entire thing is done.