Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Professional Fetus Taster
Enterprise NAS stuff is a little out of the scope of this thread, but to point you at something, we use NetApp (http://www.netapp.com/us/) storage at my work.

This is not something you want to implement on a roll-your-own box. Their boxes can do SAN/iSCSI/NFS and other solutions all on one device. The beauty is that they're easy to expand so if your company is forward-looking you can upgrade instead of replacing hardware. They also have cool features like auto backups, snapshots and a bunch of other stuff that I don't know too much about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

I'm looking to roll out a home network server for some personal testing environments, and I'm wondering about Dell Perc5/i cards. I see you can find them on eBay for about $125 and that seems like an incredible deal. I can't seem to find a lot of answers about them, however. What I'm wondering:

Are there different versions? It looks like some are PCIe but others appear to have a daughter board connection or something.

Can they do SATA with a SAS to SATA fanout cable? I've read some info that says yes, but not very convincingly. Also, if so, does it work with SATA 2 drives? (even if not at SATA 2 speeds).

Convince me I'm looking at the right equipment! I want to eventually have about 6 HDD's in a raid 5, and there's only a handful of mobos that support 6 drives. Also, the drives will be used both for storage and for hosting VMWare machines, so a raid card will be much better for performance.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

you'd need to have the card check all of the drives and determine the smallest available size, and then it would also need to automatically grow the array (not an easy task) if the smallest drive was replaced by a larger one.

It might work if you could take the server down and force the card to check the drives again. The card knows that you replaced a drive either way because it uses the serial number from the device, so it could kick off a scan at that time. Rebuilding on the fly is pretty intensive for even the best raid controllers.