Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
Are there any sort of graph out there that shows power usage between cpus? I still have an ivy bridge i5 that is fine for my usage. Is there anything out there that will help me judge if a new system will save power costs compared to what I have?

I still use my main machine as a Nas, I'm trying to determine when I should split functionality and have a dedicated nas vs what I have now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Gay Retard posted:

A bot hits my server on my open TCP Plex or Jellyfin port and then what happens? They maybe see encrypted streaming traffic going in and out? I sure as hell trust opening my own port over leaving UPnP on and letting any software choose what ports it wants to use.

Edit: I guess there's always the possibility of a security vulnerability being exposed, but for me, the convenience of these services (and most IoT services) outweighs the possibility of a problem. My docker services auto-update daily. I've been running a Plex server for almost a decade - have we heard of anything like this happening with that?

Edit2: It's worth noting that I don't open any ports for my Jellyfin - I setup a reverse proxy with Nginx Proxy + Cloudflare to my own jelly.gayretard.com address. You can do the same with plex here: https://www.plexopedia.com/plex-media-server/general/plex-nginx-reverse-proxy/

A reverse proxy and cloudflare certainly covers what I would be concerned about in this situation. If I needed external access for this kind of thing, I'd do similar. I wouldn't expose these services directly.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Tamba posted:

Give OpenMediaVault a try, it's Debian with a very FreeNAS like webUI on top (because it was literally made by a former FreeNAS developer)

I was about to mention omv too. I've been testing it on an old laptop with USB drive. The ui protects you from bad decisions, but you can drop to cli and modify it. I used cli to make that USB drive zfs formatted (this is a test, not actual use). Then omv recognized it. Docker can be built out easily via ui, it installs portainer

Im liking it as a compromise between appliance and base Linux os.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Astro7x posted:

Ah yes, sometimes it's just not knowing the terminology I am looking for.

So what I ended up doing it getting this OWC Mercury Elite Pro Dual with 3-Port Hub and then bought 2 of these Seagate Exos 12TB renewed drives on Amazon. No problem getting both to show up as individual drives and using Time Machine to back up one to the other.

Still a little skeptical about getting renewed drives, but the whole thing only cost $400. Since it's DAS and I can mount Dropbox on it, I plan on using Dropbox to backup my most important data on there (home videos/photos), and not backup Plex Library type media. So worst case scenario if both drives die at the exact same time I just lose my Plex library, which is no big deal. And then my most important data follows the 3-2-1 rule. So I think I'm good!

I'm nearly complete with a 4x4tb to 5x10tb drive migration using all refurb drives. I like it so far, 3 out of 4 had 0 hours, one has 2.5 years and the last is in transit. I staggered purchases over about 4 months. The cost is so much less that I'm willing to play the numbers game with them. I think I'd prefer replacing a dead refurb compared to dealing with consumer level RMAs.

I'm not saying those 0 hour drives are in fact accurate values, but they've been working well so far.

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 1, 2023

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

The biggest reason that I will gladly continue to run using ZFS on Ubuntu and do everything via CLI first. The mentality that a lot of those projects share is loving toxic.

Sad thing is they're all traceable back to ye olde m0n0wall and that had none of this bullshit going on.

I'm in the same boat reading what everyone is saying here. An Ubuntu server with zfs and docker ended up too easy.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
I just have nzb360 on my phone. I add things as I think of them and delete after watching. I have favorites in the permanent list, otherwise delete after watching routinely. Series take up much more space, but still clean up what won't be rewatched. I have 5x10tb in raidz2, I generally use around 12tb including snapshots. Snapshots are my primary growth. Just churn really.

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 7, 2023

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
I use idrive as well. Watch for sales, they often do like 90% off. Something around $10 for a year for 2tb of resold s3 storage

I do consider it a risk due to price, but Ive used them for at least 3 years now without a problem.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Quick sanity check, I've never replaced a zfs disk before. I have 5 refurb HGST 10TB disks that I've gambled on, in raidz2. The first disk has started SMART errors and had scrub errors after 1 year. I'm still ok getting the disks at half price.

To replace a disk, is something like this the correct process?

#Shutdown
#Replace disk
#Start up
#determine old disk GUID
zpool status tank1
#find new disk path
ls -la /dev/disk/by-id
#replace old disk by GUID with new path /by-id/
sudo zpool replace tank1 $oldDiskGUID /dev/disk/by-id/$NEWDISK

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 15, 2023

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yep, that's it, and half of that is because I assume you don't have hot swap drive bays and/or an empty drive bay.

Exactly that. Thanks!

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
When it comes to tv ads, I found on my TCL that unless you turn off a setting, it will literally monitor your HDMI connection and use that to serve you ads

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

priznat posted:

I’m moving over to using nextdns after being a pi.hole user for a while, anyone use it with unraid? I have the router (netgear pos) set up right now but would like to identify the traffic for devices behind it including the unraid.

Just wondering if there is a way someone else has discovered to do that, my cursory googling hasn’t turned up a lot.

See if you can use the nextdns client on your router, it will pass through names based on your DHCP clients info.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Idrive always has ridiculous deals too, like 90% off every year. I'm paying something like $10 for 2tb of s3 storage for a year.

I do treat it with suspicion and encrypt everything sent there with duplicati.

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 24, 2023

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
I get constant emails from idrive about deals, what I have may have come from a migration from their old storage method.

I have not tried restoring at this point. I consider idrive to be my house burned down backup due to the price.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

e.pilot posted:

wow personal attacks in the NAS thread

It's tough but fair.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Just to wrap this up, my personal backups involve zfs and send/receive to other systems, I have idrive as a last resort in which I don't care about recovery speed. Restores do work. Encryption keys are stored on a separate cloud.

I would never recommend idrive for anything critical nor business related. I am solely talking about personal usage.

I am not recommending dirt cheap cloud storage for critical situations.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
On the failure topic, what does everyone use for alerting on them? As someone with years of experience with email systems, I don't want to deal with SMTP at home. Is there any sort of webhook or API based method for a headless server to communicate with a local client regarding various failures?

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Fair enough both of you, I use Pagerduty for work, it seems like there is not anything for personal usage then? I suppose any notification service that's not smtp would be paid. I was hoping for something that might live in my local network, maybe a webhook between two always on machines. I suppose this gets into the learn how to roll my own situation.

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 19, 2023

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Pushover and gotify look exactly like what I was imagining.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
I bought 5 10tb hgst recertified drives over about 10 months for raidz2. One had errors during a scrub and then had smart errors after a year and a half. The vendor nearly immediately refunded me the full price. I bought these on Amazon but contacted the vendor directly for the refund.

I like the risk reward comparison for recertified drives myself. The cost savings let me have a spare drive sitting by the server.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
I've got 3 Kodi clients using the emby plugin. Native mode does still proxy through emby via http, but its not transcoding anything. The clients do any transcoding fine. I actually just got a tivo stream 4k ($35) for an older TV that had a fire stick that died. It works great running 4k files at 1080p. The fire stick was awful.

Having the central emby service handle the metadata and everything works well. The nas I'm running emby on cannot transcode worth anything, no GPU and an ivy bridge cpu, but not a problem with even inexpensive clients.

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 21, 2023

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
I believe you are looking for UMASK which defines the permissions set on a new file or folder created by an application. How to do this may depend on the image and or application you are using.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
I checked my config for sonaar and radaar running in docker. I have puid and guid set to the account I'm writing with and then each application has its own UMASK setting within the application to define the permissions for the files and folders it creates. So it depends on the application from what I understand

My goal was similar, guests can read only, not write.

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
I went from win10 with storages spaces to Ubuntu LTS with zfs and docker. While it's a skill set change, the later is much less effort to maintain.