Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm looking for a DAS solution. I just want to hold 3 drives and connect it to a PC over USB. How exactly do the multi drive ones work? Does the computer see it as 1 drive? Ideally that's what I would want. The Drobo sounds neat but I am a little worried about proprietary technology like that.

edit: or should I just get the D-Link 323 and a couple 1TB Seagates on Newegg? gently caress, it sounds awesome. $400 though ughhhh.

fletcher fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 19, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

KennyG posted:

To really match your request you can get a D-Link, 2-bay DNS-321 for $90 after rebate.

If I only get 1 hard drive with the DNS-321, is it easy to add a second drive at a later time without a hassle?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

KennyG posted:

If you want to know about how long you can expect your raid array to last - check this out.

This is really really neat, nice work.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Thank god for goons. My 2TB external hard drive finally filled up so I started looking into a more robust storage solution. I poked around for awhile browsing various RAID enclosures, HTPC cases, NAS devices, etc but couldn't really find what I was looking for. Found this thread and all the discussion of the N40L, it is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Ended up ordering one with 8GB of the ECC RAM that was linked earlier, and an Intel PCIE nic. Looking at the hard drive price charts (<3 camelegg) it seems like they are about to drop again very soon, so I held off on ordering any drives. The plan is to go with 4x2TB low RPM drives in a raidz2 configuration.

How many years can I leave this thing on for before I should replace the drives in it?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Bucket Joneses posted:

That's not really the proper approach to data security. The answer is "You should replace a drive when your server returns read/write errors."

But after 10 years, even if there are no errors, should the drives be replaced?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

UndyingShadow posted:

I'm using a N40L with an intel nic on FreeNAS, with 2-tb green drives (1 wd green drive and 5 samsung eco green drives) in a raidz2 array.

How did you fit 6 drives in there? This gives you ~4x2TB of usable space, right?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
What is the recommended thumb drive to buy to make it bootable? Do all the FreeNAS logs get stored on the thumb drive?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Telex posted:

I've lived under the impression, get a lovely CPU because games don't use it, and get a big as gently caress video card or two because that's where games use it.

Modern games use a ton of CPU though

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Sombrero! posted:

Urgh, after seeing that $199 N40L I feel so dumb for buying 2 of them at $269. Oh well.

Even at $269 it seems like a really great deal, compared to how much other devices on the market cost. (I bought one at $269)

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
How difficult is it to set up some of the basic FreeNAS functionality with just plain FreeBSD?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Thermopyle posted:

How many people are storing multi-terabytes (say like more than 4 TB) of data that isn't movies/tv shows/video of some sort?

My guess is that most people are storing that sort of stuff. Personally, I'm ok with the risk of losing that stuff. The internet and my bluray's are my backup. :D

The couple TB of stuff that I can't just download or re-rip gets backed up to Crashplan.

With cheap cameras that can record 1080p or take 20MB+ pictures, seems like it could be pretty easy for somebody to accumulate a couple TB of data

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

DrDork posted:

There are two 1/2-height PCIe slots, so something from NVidia's lineup should be able to fit the bill.

Be sure to check out http://n40l.wikia.com/wiki/Graphics_Cards

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Prefect Six posted:

Can't back up a mapped drive.

So from what Fishmanpet said it looks like I can't install the linux version on FreeNAS. Does anyone know any offsite backup solution that will pull directly from my NAS or that I can manually upload to? I'm thinking maybe Amazon S3 until I need more that 5 gigs of space.

You should check out tarsnap. Bit more expensive than vanilla S3 but it is a nice no bullshit solution. I haven't tried using it on FreeNAS yet though.

I'm paying 25 cents a day to keep about 24GB backed up, with a fraction of a cent in bandwidth usage a day.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

ilkhan posted:

So those are the features I want from the linux client. utorrent has a linux version, but its webUI only, and last I'd tried webUI it couldn't do everything I wanted. Has it improved or is there a better option out there?

Check out rTorrent, you can do all kinds of things with it. I use a webui called rtgui, there are several others to choose from.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Ughhh I've still been patiently waiting for prices to drop a bit more so I can finally get some drives in my N40L, I guess I might as well bite the bullet.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
http://edwardbetts.com/price_per_tb/internal_hdd/

drat $23.38 per TB price at the top got me excited for a sec :( (20 pack)

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I've been using tarsnap for awhile now, it has been great. A bit more expensive than vanilla S3 but it is pretty drat slick.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Holy poo poo Iomega is still around? Pretty sure I still have my zip drive somewhere around here...

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Krakkles posted:

Picked up 4 of these. With coupon code EMCNCJN23, they're $99 a piece, I figured that was a good price.

Now just waiting for a deal on an N40L and WHS2011.

The 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001 is also $50 per TB right now. I'm still holding out for a return to the $30/TB glory days.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Delta-Wye posted:

Also, my fellow packrats... Newegg has WD20EARX 2TB drives for $100 again: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136891

The 3TB Seagate has been holding steady at $50/TB: http://edwardbetts.com/price_per_tb/internal_hdd/

There were a few open box deals on 2TB drives earlier this week for $30/TB

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Do you guys think the 2TB & 3TB drives will go below $50/TB any time soon?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

caberham posted:

Streaming does sound good but it does have a few quirks. It uses a lot more battery life than regular playback, eats up internet bandwidth (roaming is expensive) and doesn't work when you are really mobile or a "on the road" situation. Everyday battery life doesn't matter so much because there's always some car charger or computer/outlet at work to plug into. The problem is that being online can be spotty at times. Streaming with the ability to retain and sync devices on the go like AirVideo would be awesome. Or have some sort of master database to keep track of activities after streaming.

I keep all my music on a server that runs subsonic and listen to it on my phone using the iSub application. After you play a song it caches it locally on the phone, so you don't even need to have an internet connection the next time you want to play it.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Finally got some drives for my N40L, had some dumb questions about setting it up. I want to have my 5x2TB drives in a raidz2 configuration, and be able to access it as 1 big drive from my windows machine.

1. With ZFS, if I go with something like NAS4Free, am I stuck with it? Or is it possible to switch to something like FreeBSD at some point in the future and be able to point it at my disks and have all my data intact?

2. If I had to move the drives to a different machine, does it matter which disk is plugged into which port or does it automatically know which disk is what?

3. I was looking at this guide, I don't need to do all the iSCSI stuff right?

4. Should I have standby enabled for these drives?

5. Do I want to used the "Advanced Format" (4KB sector)?

fletcher fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 25, 2012

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Thanks for the info evil_bunnY and error1, very helpful! Got everything setup and it appears to be working great.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
What am I supposed to do with this 250GB drive that came with the N40L? Is it even worth trying to sell it?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
What do I do for the network settings on nas4free & windows if I want to connect the nas directly to my computer via crossover cable?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

evil_bunnY posted:

manually put them on the same private subnet. Do you have a second interface in your desktop?

Yep, I use WiFi for my internet connection, so my wired NIC is unused.

In Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network Connections I selected the Local Area Connection & Wireless Network Connection, right clicked, and hit bridge, and everything seems to work ok now.

edit: and now my transfer speeds are going 70MB/s instead of 2MB/s like they were over wifi :woop:

fletcher fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 29, 2012

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

evil_bunnY posted:

They don't need to be bridged oh god.

Just pick an undoubted subnet and manually assign addresses

Why oh god? If I go that route instead, the NAS won't be able to get to out to the internet right?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
With a UPS like the BE550G, can both my desktop and n40l be alerted of a power interruption, so they can safely shut down?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
How do I determine which USB port my UPS is plugged into for the UPS configuration in NAS4Free? And is there I way I can check that it's talking to the UPS?

edit: It printed it out to the terminal when I plugged in the UPS.

For an APC BE750G I used

Status page was under Diagnostics->Information->UPS.

fletcher fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 7, 2012

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

evil_bunnY posted:

Is $5/month really unaffordable?

What is the $5/mo a reference to? Online backup service?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

evil_bunnY posted:

Yes. There's never no excuse for no backups.

16TB would take me 3 years to upload!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Megaman posted:

If I set up freenas with, say, 20 drives in raidz2, and the freenas box dies but the drives are fine, can i migrate those to a fresh working freenas machine? And if so, how do I go about this? Wouldn't I need a table configuration of some kind to understand the disk set? Or is it some black magic that automatically would understand the entire set?

You may want to check out the responses to some similar questions that I had a few pages back.

I think the having the ability to move the disks to a different machine and being able to throw something like FreeBSD on it is a definitely a benefit over a proprietary turn-key device that is worth considering.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Trying to setup a cron job on NAS4Free:

quote:

/usr/local/bin/rsync --stats --progress -vhr -e "ssh -p 12345 -i /.mykey" user@somewhere.net:/some/remote/dir/ /some/local/dir/

Seems to work fine if I run it from a shell, but if I click "Run Now" in the web interface I get "Failed to execute cron job." Anybody know why that might be?

fletcher fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 14, 2012

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

movax posted:

Root vs. non-root user? Or some other permissions issue, perhaps.

e: yeah, the path to your key seems weird to me, '/.mykey', its not actually in your system root directory is it?

Yeah it's a strange path, the file exists though. I threw it in there because NAS4Free already puts another passwd file right there. I've tried it as my normal user and as root, doesn't run either way.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Saw newegg had the Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB 7200 RPM for $120 shipped, seems like a good deal. Same price over at amazon.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
In NAS4Free, I configured two folders to be shared for NFS, both with settings similar to (with a different path of course, both inside of /mnt/my_vdev though):

When I do a showmount -e it lists only the most recent one that I've added. What am I doing wrong here?

edit: /etc/exports only has a single entry in it as well, even though the web interface shows two. May be a bug? I'm going to try updating to newer rev.

fletcher fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 5, 2012

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

DrDork posted:

It has 4 "normal" HDD bays that it wants you to use, and another optical bay that, with a firmware flash, you can use as a fifth, and there's still an internal USB port for USB-key booting/OSes.

I didn't even need to mess with the firmware flash for my 5th drive that sits in the optical bay.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

fletcher posted:

When I do a showmount -e it lists only the most recent one that I've added. What am I doing wrong here?

edit: /etc/exports only has a single entry in it as well, even though the web interface shows two. May be a bug? I'm going to try updating to newer rev.

Fixed my issue.

From the nfs section:

quote:

The properties of one file system exported to a given host must all occur on one line. Lines without a client specified are treated as a single host. This limits how you can export file systems, but for most people this is not an issue.

So rather than 3 separate shares, just create 1 share with 3 folders listed, separated by spaces:

/etc/exports correctly lists it and all 3 are shown with a showmounts -e. Hooray!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

The_Franz posted:

Vista and 7 (and probably 8) come with an NFS client, but you need to activate it under Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features\Turn Windows Features On or Off.

I think MS offers a downloadable NFS client for XP as well.

Note that this is not available with all versions of Windows 7.