Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
I'm really kind of torn on what to do with my storage. Right now I've got a very old and very loud full tower system running Vista (I was in the WHS beta but got hit with the data corruption bug) with 7 IDE HDs crammed in it for a total of 3TB or so. I use it as my fileserver, FTP server, and for SAB.

I have two Windows 7 machines (desktop/laptop), plus XBMC and an Xbox 360 that stream video.

Should I bother trying to find a proper server solution so that I can run FTP/SAB/etc off of it, or should I just go with one of the two-slot NAS boxes with 1.5TB drives and upgrade the disks as drive capacity increases, and then run FTP/SAB off my desktop?

That Chenbro/Storbox solution looks beautiful, but I bet it costs a pretty penny to get setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Fitret posted:

I need some advice on how to best fix my current storage situation. Right now I've got a WHS, and I absolutely love all of the features, but I no longer trust it. I know back before PP1 they had data corruption issues, so I waited until they did a redesign to adopt and everything has gone swimmingly since then - until last week. Last week, I got a notification that about 15 files had become corrupt. I talked to the WHS guys and it seems that my data is lost. They think it might be due to a hard drive that's about to fail, but I've got redundancy enabled on the folder, and guess what - my files are still gone! I'm not sure what the point of redundancy is if when a single hard drive goes bad, you still lose files. :argh: Because of this, I want to move away from WHS as the method of protecting my data.

As someone who had the data corruption issues back after RTM, and then fled far away from WHS but was secretly considering trying it again, I am very, very sad to read this.

Keep us posted as to what you end up doing.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
I wish there was a good source for up to date out-of-the-box NAS review roundups. QNAP vs ReadyNAS vs Drobo, that kind of thing. I'm not feeling up to rolling my own, but I'm really torn between what's available.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
I'm torn between getting a cheaper qnap 2-bay 219 (and paying a premium for large hard drives) or paying the extra $250 for a 4-bay 419, so I can buy cheaper hard drives.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Modern Pragmatist posted:

I have a computer running a hardware-based Raid-1 configuration with two 150 GB drives. I have two new 500 GB drives that I would like to use instead.

Here is my plan of action for migrating the array, please let me know if this should work or if there is a better solution

1) Remove single 150 GB drive from array
2) Replace with single 500 GB
3) Rebuild array
4) Remove other 150 GB drive
5) Boot onto liveCD and use GParted to extend the partition to take up the full disk (500 GB)
6) Attach second 500 GB drive
7) Rebuild array

If it's a media/backup server, I'd probably just

1: Remove 150GB drives and build new array with 500GB disks
2: Add one of the 150GB drives to the system via SATA or USB and copy all the files to the new array.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

HERAK posted:

Windows Home Server you probably want to have a look at this thread as well. a home server would be more versatile than a NAS and would have a far larger storage capacity.

I would really like to try WHS again but I am still terrified of the data corruption issue coming back after I lost a ton of data on the retail edition.