Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Are the disks SAS? Cause you won't be able to use your onboard sata ports for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I think someone else was complaining about the noise of the Blues recently in an external enclosure too. Seems to be just a thing with them.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Fwiw I've had 6x 4TB Reds in my unraid box for years and I've never heard them make any noise. CMR I believe.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
That sounds totally nuts to me, is it weaker than a raspberry pi?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I feel very spoiled with my converted old desktop pc running unraid with an i7-8700 lol. Just went through the process of adding bigger disks so not I have another 16tb to fill.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
You can definitely just use storage spaces though my last attempt many years ago found it to perform terribly for write speed at least. A lot of people seem to use Stablebit software on Windows for this instead but I can't comment much as I haven't used it.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Unless you really want raid, unraid is probably the best no janitoring experience to get up and running fast with a small degree of protection against drive failure. Sync your important non-linux isos to the cloud and the rest can always be replaced if something goes wrong.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Kestral posted:

Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this, but I can't think of a better group of people to ask about this:

Is there a way to archive a Google Group you're subscribed to, but do not own? A Group that contains a massive amount of detailed information on a niche subject is about to shut down, and I'd very much like to preserve what's there. I could in theory go through every post and copy-paste or something equally inefficient, but it's a huge archive and I'm pretty sure it will be shut down before it's physically possible for someone to manually archive its contents.

I don't know anything about Google groups but there's a request a small application thread somewhere here that might take up the challenge of writing a script that will do it for you.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3829017&pagenumber=7&perpage=40

Aware fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 30, 2022

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I run unraid on an 8700 with an nvme cache, mostly helps with write performance which is rarely an issue. I wouldn't worry about it much unless you're regularly doing massive dumps. :balldo:

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Technically isn't WebOS from Palm and then HP? Built on beOS yes but in the same way OSX is mach/bsd hybrid at its core?

It really has nothing to do with how easy it is to program for.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I have a plex user running it from a PS3 of all things.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
From the plex thread:

FCKGW posted:

For anyone running Unraid they're having a 30% off sale on upgrades
https://unraid.net/upgrade-sale

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
My plex library is like 20tb and it doesn't seem slow as poo poo to me. Or is that small these days.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Computer viking posted:

Sometimes I hate enterprise hardware.

Oh, you dare put a third party hard drive (that's identical to the certified ones we sell for a 5x markup) in our server? 11000 rpm fan speeds forever as a punishment. That IPMI command to knock the fan speeds back down that we've sometimes mentioned? Naah, we locked those out in a firmware update.

Next time I'm buying supermicro, preferred suppliers be damned.

(Dell R550.)

E: Ah yes, the same goes for adding a third party PCIe card - they even have a specific guide on how to disable their paranoid/punishing cooling algorithm for those that doesn't work on the newest generation.
E2: Ah, the racadm command to disable the PCIe fan speed thing still works. Shame about the drives, but I think I can move enough non-Dell drives to the external DAS.
E3: Nevermind, with the PCIe cards calmed down the minimun fan speed with third party drives jumps to 36% for a bit but then falls down to 13% again on its own. Huh.

Somewhat ironically adding a second eBay CPU and filling out all the fan slots on an R740xd actually made the drat thing quieter overall. Either way don't buy Dell servers for home is my advice now.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Connecting the second PSU if you have one installed to power also reduces the overall noise from the PSUs generally.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Klyith posted:

People who want plex transcoding aren't doing it for high quality archiving, they've got a h265 encoded movie and want to watch it on a roku tv that only does h264 or something like that.

This, but remote users. All my local devices directplay mostly everything but my remote users tend to have older gear and/or my internet is poo poo so hw encoding works great for pumping out light bitrate 720/1080p h264 streams. If they cared about quality they'd build their own setup.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Unraid is great, and doesn't really try to be more than it is.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Re: Unraid Cache - it is not dedicated to cache and lost to you. When you create a VM or choose where your docker lives, you simply select the cache disk. It has the same folder structure as the array and there's a task that moves things that shouldn't stay on cache to the array.

It's a pretty simple and functional system for the home user. You're not losing your nice nvme to write caching only. You get to use it for docker and VMs and any share you would prefer to reside on cache only. Yes, you do lose parity for those files, unless you install two cache disks which is supported out of the box. I personally just run one.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Man that thing would have cost a pretty penny in 2013 for the drives.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Plex suggests that the container isnt compatible with the AppleTV and so it's extracting the video and audio stream and repacking it for the ATV (hence direct play vs direct stream). I guess something is messed up with how it's doing this. You can disable direct stream on the ATV client settings but this may force it to transcode. Try it and see.

Edit: I guess this could happen if plex needs write permissions somewhere to extract and repackage and doesn't have them. Or is out of space or something.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
It's not transcoding per se, it's extracting the audio and video and trying to repackage them into a compatible container on the fly for the ATV. As best I can tell it's the container (eg mkv or whatever) that Plex thinks the ATV client doesn't like.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Nystral posted:

So I’m debating moving from a HPE Microserver Gen 10 to a refurbished rack mount sever like a Dl380 g9 or 730xd. I’m looking at 12 drives for the storage and 2 or 3 rear mounted drives for OS disks.

Currently the micro server is running Ubuntu with a ZFS pool. But the new server is going to be using a built in raid card, and ZFS hates not having direct access to the drives.

So as I understand if I can run the built in cards in HBA mode. But the TrueNAS folk seem against that idea.

I can buy a third party LSI HBA card running in IT mode. It seems like I’d need a card or cards with 4 SAS connectors to meet the needs of the front back pane. I’d also need to figure out the OS drives - can I run them in a RAID 1 or whatever off the built in card while the front backplane is on LSI?

Or I abandon ZFS for a file system less interested in the RAID hardware. BUT I’ve been using ZFS for 10ish years across various NAS solutions so moving to say BTRFS is kind of scary. Also I’d rather something like a TrueNAS with a nice GUI for sharing vs samba config files and whatnot.

Am I missing anything? What would you do?

I've got an r740xd that ultimately I moved to my work office as a lab device because it was too noisy for home. Newer versions of Dell will not allow you to drop the idle fan speeds down low enough for home use. So just be aware of that. Conversely though I just installed about 20 loaded R450s and they are the quietest (at idle) 1RU server I've ever used.

I can't comment on your controller questions, I didn't bother doing anything past just the 1:1 virtual disk mapping for messing with TrueNAS on it. Today it's just an ESXi box with a RAID1 SSD and a single 8TB spinning disk for lab stuff.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Pretty sure they give it a cup of tea and thank it for its service before sending it back out too.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Unraid takes a looooot of computer janitoring out of the equation, from storage management, docker/VM management, shares, etc. I wouldn't not recommend diy as a learning experience but after doing that for several iterations I've settled on Unraid as a nice mix between home tinkering with docker stuff and not having to do the heavy lifting to keep my most used services running and up to date. Eg plex and all the arrs.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
The only things I expose are Plex and Overseerr (Plex SSO) via Cloudflare as well and that's for external users. Everything else is just for my access and one other user and this uses Wireguard which is also built in to unraid.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Or don't try and do those things on your 'appliance', create a VM with your favourite OS of choice instead on it.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Yes it's perfectly fine to run with a single disk if you're basically wanting the docker app store. Grab the trial and give it a go? Worst case you can roll your own later.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Probably a HP micro server if you want that kind of form factor without a lot of hassle, I think they have 4 bays and will happily run whatever you feel like.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
It should work in Linux kernel 5.15+ I think but who knows. Seeing those same deals, tempted but I already have a little Protectli FW3b 4 pt 4c/8gb box doing firewall testing duties.

Ok review here - points out that the 226 isn't supported in pfSense 2.6 but is in 2.7RC

https://www.servethehome.com/new-fanless-4x-2-5gbe-intel-n5105-i226-v-firewall-tested/

I think the HPs are a nice form factor but not much more. The CPU is definitely the weakest point. You'll get much more value out of a smallish matx or itx desktop build with a suitable case for anything beyond serving files - be sure to check the CPU actually has an iGPU and supports quicksync if you're planning on Plex.

Aware fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 11, 2023

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I appear to be on 6.11.5 fwiw with no issues. I just hit upgrade whenever it tells me to hah.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
In my case there's like 40 family and friends with access and I sure as poo poo ain't going to say oh yeah you have to install this and load this and then this just to stream something. It would also completely break the primary remote user use case of using the TV app.

If it's just you and possibly you hate your wife then yeah go nuts with VPNs to access plex. Wireguard makes total sense for secure access to your network remotely for sure, but not Plex if you have a bunch of average users you're sharing with.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I've got a few of those style boards/boxes as we use them for work. One thing I've noticed is that while they do pack a punch for the form factor they do get incredibly hot if you have sustained load running on them and get very flakey if you don't cool them adequately. Otherwise the ones I have from protecli seem to be the most stable of the lot. I've also tested units from Protectli, Lanner, Axiomtek and Dell.

My favourite out of all of them so far are the Lanner 1516 series and I've deployed hundreds of them. We go with the 16 core versions loaded with 64gb ram and a 1tb ssd running our in-house software loaded with various VMs and containers for our customer edge services.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Vaporware posted:

i'm going to look into the btrfs vs ZFS a bit more. I actually got the eMMC addon for booting since I know the SD card wear issue is a big deal for these kinds of board, especially with any sort of logging enabled. so easy is a big plus, but I really don't remember much about the filesystem stuff I learned a decade ago.

luckily I didn't trust their sata adapter from the get go (I thought I had one but was wrong, lol) so I ended up getting the startech one. idk if it will work but EVEN THEN I'm not putting in an order again with pine unless I'm getting another SBC.

unf that's a nice box. I wonder if I could convince my office to use those for dev boxes? What's the price around? you can PM me a ballpark if you don't want to put it up in a post.

I knew I should have taken it seriously about 8 or so years ago, but now I have to learn it for work so... project time

I've looked a little but I haven't found this one in particular. I was starting with the pine64 discord and forums but I keep getting distracted so thanks!
edit lol ubuntu just works on 20.04 which I'm running on a HP laptop so it really looks like debian might be just a painful exercise to keep my old college preferences alive

They're all in the $1500-2500+ range depending on specs and volume really for the platform. I really like the Dell VEPs too but the lanners support dual PSU input and have a proper RJ45 console vs microUSB AND they fit a stand 1RU form factor so that puts them ahead if you don't just deploy as desktop boxes.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Smashing Link posted:

Hey Thread, I'm looking to build a cheap NAS to use some spare parts and give away to a family member or friend. I have a GT710 graphics card, a 1.6 TB PCIE NVME drive, and would like to throw in a large HDD as well. Does anyone have any leads on used small servers or barebones systems that might fit those parts (specifically, at least 2 PCIE slots)?

I'd say refurb SFF PC all the way but one with an m2 slot is probably going to be challenging for low cost. Do you need to use the nvme drive or could you go grab a cheap SATA SSD instead? Is the 710 low profile?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
To be honest the drive sounds like a total waste in a load end NAS vs a cheap 256gb sata SSD for OS/cache and most of these refurb SFF PC's are going to support quicksync for transcoding as well so you may not even really need the 710, though it won't hurt for transcoding instead if you prefer.

Infact booting off a pcie device like that may also be problematic for these boxes but I have zero experience there. I see some discussion about having to use Clover to boot from them instead on older optiplex models for example.

Aware fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 16, 2023

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I setup photoprism last week and used Google takeout to get all my old photos into it. PhotoSync on android is a bit of a pain but works fine with WebDAV/CloudFlare proxy/nginx to sync my photos from my phone back to it. It seems fast. I like it sofar and the face detection works well.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
If you do go down the unraid route you're going to want to pick up 2 new drives - one for parity and one for data. Unraid limits the total storage available per risk to the size of the parity drive so this should match the largest single risk in your array. Now you could run without parity but you won't have a chance to rebuild if something fails it'll be gone.

Unraid doesn't offer a very high degree of data protection so I'd only recommend it for media/stuff easily replaced in the worst case. Anything important should be backed up somewhere else like B2 which it can do selectively and automatically.

I personally love unraid at home and if you start with trash guides from the get go you'll have a great time moving to docker and the arrs etc. It definitely isn't close to an enterprise grade backup solution but it is great for home use like your scenario and hardware, noting the above.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
We use OneDrive at work and it's fine. The online/browser version of Office is frankly good enough to not open a native app most of the time and you can't really get more integrated than that if those are the apps you use. It doesn't have a native Linux client though there are third party tools but I just work via the browser on my Linux laptop. Not sure about backups to S3 but google suggests a number of ways.

Aware fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 1, 2023

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

That Works posted:

Honestly the browser office apps don't work well for reference manager and other excel plugin stuff we use so that's a no go for that part.

Otherwise, how problematic is it for OneDrive to run a shared drive between multiple users? My only experience with it has been as a personal sync drive between my own multiple windows systems. ie, most of the things on my OneDrive are items that would never be shared to anyone at work etc.

I think SharePoint is actually the preferred solution for a real shared folders between users but we mostly just give access to folders in our own onedrives to a bunch of users.

I don't actually store anything work related locally, it's all in OneDrive.

Can't help on the browser app/plugin side, but basically on Windows it's all going to show up as a folder in explorer so you just interact with the files as normal plus realtime multiuser editing in the native apps.

I'm not a O365 admin though, just a user so probably can't add much further other than it 'just works' for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I guess I should post just to be clear - this is my works O365 implementation. For my personal account I've had no issues doing shared folders with my fiance and her personal onedrive account if that helps and is what you're looking at. I think you can make a Microsoft account with any email for this.