Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
If I have 15x 750GB drives what would be the optimal raidz2 configuration?

Optionally I could drop a drive, leaving an even 7x7 split. Not sure if that would make things easier or not.

Keep in mind I'm new to raid and raidz in particular. If I'm understanding correctly I believe 2 pools of 7 drives (with double parity making it effectively 5*750GB worth of space for each pool). Is this correct? Now what is a "pool" mean in terms of addressing the drives from say Windows? Do I see two drives ?

Also what wattage psu would be required to run this many drives? I'm thinking 650w would probably cut it but I'm not sure if this would be cutting it too close? Maybe a 750w instead?

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

adorai posted:

If it were me I would do 2x 5+2 raidz2 pools w/ 1 hot spare, leaving you with a single zfs pool w/ an effective size of 7.5Tibi, which is more like 6.5 TB. If you don't really need the iops you might be able to do a single 11+3 raidz3 w/ a hot spare.

With 2 raidz pools, you can combine them into a single zfs pool, and can even expand the pool later with another 7 750GB drives.

This is storage for an htpc serving video and audio data. I'm not sure if I would need incredible amounts of iops. At first glance the 11+3 sounds appealing, but looking further it's really only increasing my usable capacity by another 750GB. Are there any other advantages? Are there any advantages to the 5+2 setup? (eg. can one of the pools spin down if its not being utilized).

Thanks.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Netgear announced their new ReadyNAS Ultras today and they've got me rethinking that Drobo, but ouch at the price:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/08/netgears-readynas-ultra-4-and-ultra-6-stream-to-tivo-mobile-a/

drat lol. I just finished putting together a newegg parts list for drat near that price including the 8 hard drives. That ReadyNAS is hella expensive.

I own the old ReadyNAS NV before they were bought out by Netgear.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Happy to report I've been running my 6 drive zfs array for well over a year now. Highest uptime was well over 250 days, but had some issues with sabnzbd that required a restart some where along the line.

Haven't had to deal with any hard drive issues at all yet, of course I'm sure that's only a matter of time.
I went with 6 so I could have a second parity, so I'm dealing with just over 3 TB of space. Getting close to passing the half way mark on space used.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Sep 18, 2011

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
So I've been running a freebsd 8.0 box for almost five years now with a 6drive raidz2 setup. I keep my ports up to date but I have not updated freebsd itself nor the zfs version (which I think is v13 or lower). I'm currently thinking about upgrading my drives and along with that I wanted to get the lay of the land in terms of software upgrades.

I think I'd like to move onto a more turnkey solution over configuring freebsd myself. It's been several years since I initially put the box together and configured freebsd and while it was a learning experience it took days of research and hammering on config files to get the system properly setup, and often the various blogs, forum posts etc were out of date or the suggestions didn't work when I ran into problems. This is why I have avoided upgrading freebsd and zfs versions.

It appears that FreeNAS or NAS4Free are what I'd want. My list of needs would be:
- can import an existing zfs array that is using a really old version of zfs
- will let me install sick beard, couchpotato, and sabnzbd
- easily upgrade the os, patches, etc.

I think both of those things support my needs but I'm unsure on the second bullet point if Nas4free allows custom software?

Thanks for any help. Also any pointers to how to export a zfs array for someone in my situation would be appreciated.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Sorry it's been several years since I've looked at this stuff, I originally went with FreeBSD because zfs wasn't available under Linux due to some licensing issues. Is this not the case anymore?

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

GokieKS posted:

ZFS is not natively a part of Linux kernel and never will be due to licensing reasons, but the ZFS on Linux project was done by Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, and at this point is pretty much stable and production-ready, and can be easily installed on all the major Linux distros.

That's awesome. This has me thinking about taking on a much larger change-up of my home media streaming setup. I think maybe what I should do is combine my fileserver and xbmc box into one and run it under something like XBMCbuntu.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I've got an existing three disk zfs raidz1 pool. I want to mirror this pool with three new disks. What would be the magical incantation of commands to do this?
Thanks.

EDIT: I guess what I want to do is use the 'attach' command?
Actually it looks like I can't use attach. The MAN says it can't be used on a raidz setup. Bleh.

How can I mirror the existing pool? Is this really not possible without destroying the pool?

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 29, 2015

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Well I already have the three new drives on order. I think what I'll do is just destroy the pool and switch to three vdev's with mirrors setup.
Something like this:

code:
pool
	mirror-0
		sda
		sdb
	mirror-1
		sdc
		sdd
	mirror-2
		sde
		sdf

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Hey. Got a couple of questions.

My current use cases are :
- Grabbing these beautiful linux isos. I mean they are just beautiful. No one has better linux isos. Believe me folks.
- Downloading my local newspaper and reading the comics section
- Misc. other stuff

I've been running with ubuntu + zfs for almost 4 years now, and before that freebsd + zfs. Now it is getting time to upgrade.

I'm considering going down a different path, instead of building my own system.
I've been looking at the Synology (been eyeing the DS1517+). But I'm uncertain of a few things.

I currently run ubuntu + zfs on the base install and then have everything else running in separate docker containers.
Can I run docker on Synology?

I also realize that Synology stuff doesn't have the power to transcode HD/4k content. What would be my options if I got the synology but still want to support AppleTv and other devices that would require transcode? Is it as simple as getting something like an Intel NUC and have that run Plex server?

I realize that this would probably be way more expensive than just building my own computer.
But I'm not really wanting to deal with the hassle to be honest. My current setup was cobbled together before there was really a lot of tutorials on the subject. The docker stuff has been a godsend actually. But there are things that I never did get working %100 percent such as flawless SMB/NFS/APS shares, etc. I just don't want to have to deal with it and it looks like Synology makes this really easy.

EDIT:

After thinking this through a bit more I realized that if I'm going to get a Synology and an Intel NUC I might as well run all the stuff on the NUC and leave the Synology as a pure storage dump. But this puts me right back where I don't want to be - except maybe the hardware is a little nicer looking than a PC tower. Bleh.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I work from home and use a computer that I can’t upgrade.
It has a 2.5G Ethernet port and USB Super Speed ports on the back marked 10 and 20 - which googling seems to suggest are 10Gbps and 20Gbps capable.

I have the need to have a large amount of data be periodically written and constantly read for work reasons.
Essentially, for work I use a digital art assets management system that can tier data access such that the system will first look for the data on local drive, then a local network share or equivalent, etc, etc, until finally it hits the work VPN to download it to store locally after exhausting faster "caches".

Currently it’s just my work computer with an Nvme drive. But the drive is only 1TB. And because I’m remote hitting the VPN to download isn’t cutting it for me.

I also wouldn’t mind using storage for non-work purposes such as streaming to my living room AppleTv.

What would be good options for my use case and hardware limitations?
Maybe I would be better off buying something like the Samsung T9 for the work computer and doing NAS for the streaming?
The 4TB version might work but smaller than I’d like. Is there something like that but with 10TB?

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 10, 2024