Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

ior posted:

Just chiming in to mention my newly built NAS. I based it on a Chenbro ES34069 and a Via Mini-ITX mobo. Some key features on this mobo is the four SATA-II slots, gigabit ethernet port and console redirection feature.

Is that the VIA NAB 7500? Where can you buy those?

Or if that's not the right board, which board do you have? I think console redirection is hot poo poo and I'd really like at least a couple of boxes that can do it. (I already have a Mac that can... somewhere... and I have a Sun that can do it too, but they're both pretty slow and I'd like some newer, faster hardware. That board looks perfect.)

The integrated multiple SATA ports are icing on the cake, as are 4-5x GBe ports and a TPM, if they can do what I think they can do (speed up encryption). Assuming I guessed the right board.

On a tangentially-related note, I wonder how hard it would be to implement something like Sun's iLOM with a tiny single-board computer attached to the console-redirection port of a board like this. Hmm... Maybe something like this Netstix or something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

antek posted:

What options do I have (that don't cost a lot of money)?

Just jury rig a fan to blow between them with barbed wire or something.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

sund posted:

Grab a few 5.25 -> 3.5 drive bay adapters to space your drives out.

He probably wants at least one or two more fans in that case even if he does do this.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled
Is anyone using OpenSolaris? I have some questions:

• Is there a network-aware package manager yet? Does it have third-party packages? Does it replace smpatch and distribute patches to Sun-supported software? Can I use it to upgrade between releases of the operating system like Ubuntu? Does it replace the BFU patching that people did with SXDE?
  • It seems very desktop-focused. Can you install it headless? My fileserver's BIOS supports serial console redirection, which I would prefer.
  • It seems like Murdock wants to use the GNU tools in Indiana. Are the Sun tools still available somewhere or are they completely gone?

Right now I have a machine installed with Solaris 10, but some software is difficult to find precompiled, and sometimes (my current headache is libtorrent) won't compile at all and attempts result in ungooglable error messages (sigh).

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

WickedMetalHead posted:

I'm toying with finally switching my home File Server over to use ZFS. My main question is what the gently caress version of solaris do i want? Solaris 10? OpenSolaris? Solaris Express?

Nexenta? (which looks really neat since i come from a Debian server)

My experience with Solaris 10 is that some things are a little painful on it which have been corrected (or worked around) with new OpenSolaris builds. Note that I haven't used OpenSolaris (it does not work without at motherfucking video card and a locally attached keyboard in your server wtf), but this is from my experience with Solaris 10. I am by no means a Solaris expert, and I welcome correction in this area!

• I just could not get libtorrent (rtorrent) working on Solaris 10. IIRC there was some hosed Solaris shared library to blame, but I could never figure out how to fix it. This may have been fixed in a recent release of Solaris 10. There are easily-findable libtorrent binaries for OpenSolaris (which did not work on Solaris 10 for me).
  • Solaris 10 has - and someone please correct me here - very obtuse patch procedures. Installing a minimal Solaris environment does not leave you with the ability to patch via smpatch. This is so wrong on so many levels. Please someone prove me wrong. With OpenSolaris, there is no configuration so minimal as to be without patching software, because there is only one configuration, and minimal it is not. You also shouldn't have to "register" your system with sconadm before patching.
  • OpenSolaris has ipkg, which is supposedly an apt-based (or at least apt-inspired) package management system. There is no package management system built into traditional Solaris, but a lot of people use Blastwave. Blastwave is not, unfortunately, nearly as comprehensive as Fink for Mac OS X. I do not know how comprehensive the ipkg database is.
  • Solaris 10 is difficult to upgrade between system releases. AFAICT the Sun way to upgrade your OS without more downtime than a simple reboot is: 1) make sure you have an unused partition on your disk, 2) install the latest Solaris onto that partition from within your current Solaris install, 3) reboot. This will go much more smoothly if you have /usr/local and /home on separate partitions, but still, it seems pretty painful to me. I have no idea if this is different in OpenSolaris or not.

OpenSolaris was a no-go for me, as I mentioned previously, because it requires local video and keyboard input; I use my storage server (running Linux at the moment) via its serial console and I love it. I couldn't dream of switching.

Combat Pretzel posted:

The builds of Solaris Express and OpenSolaris are exactly the same, apart from a different installer and latter not shipping with third party licensed bits (nothing you'd miss).

For the shiny things, you need OpenSolaris or SXCE. Nexenta is also tracking the latest builds with just a little lag AFAIK, but I've never used it.

Maybe I should try SXCE next time... they might not have hosed with the Solaris 10 installer which allowed serial console installs just fine.

equation groupie fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 26, 2008

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

WickedMetalHead posted:

OpenSolaris Requires a Keyboard attached? At all times?

No, that's not what I meant. If you boot without a keyboard, it seems to boot normally just like Windows or Linux or any other operating system will.

My complaint was that the installer will not accept input from the serial port, or output to anything but a video card, effectively requiring a keyboard, moue, and monitor for an OpenSolaris server. I assume that once the OS is installed, you can access the OS via serial because they would have to go to some effort to rip that out of the system and there would be no reason to do so, but I never got that far, because I don't have a video card attached to my fileserver and I didn't want to gently caress with it, so I just installed Linux.

necrobobsledder posted:

I know that on most Sun UltraSparc workstations that unplugging the keyboard will result in the system turning off or rebooting. I thought that it was a hardware-based reason, but perhaps it's software-related in the OS.

Not relevant, since the latest builds of OpenSolaris (not sure about SXCE) will not run on SPARC anyway.

Also, I think that your statement only applies to non-USB workstations, which are pretty old, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

crazysim posted:

You were using the correct libtorrent right? There's one, and then there's rakshasa's. They are same in pretty much only the name.

Yep, I was using rakshasa's. It's easier if you start by looking for rtorrent (which is only rakshasa's I think), because you end up getting libtorrent anyway as it is a prereq.