Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This may be a stupid question, but would I be able to put a hard drive that already has data on it into something like a QNap TS-119 and use it without reformatting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a good bit of data at home I'm trying to figure out the best way to keep it available and backed up. Right now it's on pairs of external drives that I synchronize manually and then important things get backed up with Backblaze. It's about 50TB total with 20TB of that on Backblaze. I'm also transitioning from an iMac/MacBook setup to Windows desktop/Macbook and would ideally have a more seamless way to hop between the two without resorting to exfat or paragon to for the external drives.

I think my scenario would be: large array or drive pool on my network that has everything and is my working drive at home, cloud accessible backup of the big pool, and then individual external drives of each project or client for sharing with editors and per-project archives. Backblaze is only OSX/Windows so I'm curious about how well just making a file share in Windows 10/11 might work. I've zero experience with Windows file sharing and have only ever setup Linux-y shares or dedicated NAS hardware from Synology/etc. The tutorials I've come across so far are just, "right click the folder and share with specific people" but I'm not sure the pros and cons of doing this vs. an actual NAS, or if there's a better way to do it. Similarly, I've done remote admin of Linux systems with SSH but have never done so with a Windows machine. Do people just use RDP? I really don't want to learn any windows terminal commands if I can help it.

And as an aside, has anyone used Dropbox advanced? It's $75 per month for unlimited data and the sales people are claiming that it actually is unlimited (or at least enough for the use I described to them.) Having the cloud version of my backup be useable for things other than just a restore would be really nice. I've got 6TB up on the trial, but they're capping it there unless I pay.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm just starting to use Dropbox in smaller scale relation to video editing workflow and really like it so far. I'm just a solo DP and hire freelance editors on occasion so smaller scale and it's all direct attached storage for now. The big draw for me is that it's unlimited storage for $75 in a fairly easy to use package. Gives me a much easier centralized archive of old footage and make the cloud backup during a project much more useful as I can share the files out easily too. Got 40TB up so far and it has been working fairly well!

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Backblaze is unlimited for personal use and I’ve had up to about 25TB on it. Dropbox advanced is $90 a month for unlimited (basically you pay for the minimum 3 seats at $30 a month) and is what I’ve been doing. I’ve got about 35-40TB on it now.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Backblaze only works on OSX and windows, so doesn’t work for a NAS, and at least for me the upload speed is slower than Dropbox. It also forgets external drives if you’ve had them disconnected for more than a month so not a long term archive either.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s just b2 which is like $5 per TB per month.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Taima posted:

Excuse me actually, one more question about this service-

I'm currently on symmetrical gigabit fiber but expect to move and not have that anymore, as the area is slightly more rural.

Assuming I use Backblaze to store my 40TB now, what are my concerns?

Someone said that Backblaze will delete your material if the drive isn't backed up for a month?! is that true?? And what if the ip address dramatically changes my location as I'll be in a different state, is that something to worry about?

It sounds like the Backblaze personal backup has some hefty conditions. Which is honestly probably fine- unlimited personal backup for cheap is exactly what I need- but I want to make sure I go into this in a way where if one or more drives fails or is lost after the move, I can be sure to retain access to those files.

e: it also seems quite slow but for $7 a month idk if I can complain. Frankly I don't even understand the business model; how could they want to backup 40TB of my files for so cheap?

They will absolutely delete an external drive backup after 30 days if you haven't reconnected it. IP change shouldn't be an issue, or at least I've had no issues with it. Basically the drive has to be connected for at least like a half day or so every 30 days (obviously you'd need to do it sooner for safety). I had 25-30TB on it at some point but the whole external drive issue has me using Dropbox instead for work files and just using backblaze for basic personal stuff. I need the large data backup for my work so the $90 a month for Dropbox is worth it to me.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Edit: beaten on the NAS/das thing

I’m guessing they want direct attached given everything else they’ve said, especially the Backblaze thing. Promise, OWC, and Sandisk makes some I’ve seen people use; OWC uses some kind of softraid I know, not sure about the others. I have no personal experience other than Drobo though.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Astro7x posted:

Well... my company has been on the Dropbox Business plan that promised "unlimited storage" since going remote in 2020.

As of November 1st they ended the unlimited data plan. They essentially took our storage usage at the moment (42TB) and added 5TB to that, and said we have 47TB until November 1st 2028. So a very generous 5 years, IMO. Then they are going to knock us down to the new plan which is 5TB per license, 3 license minimum... basically paying the same price for 15TB.

I knew it was too good to be true, but dang... hopefully we have a work around for this in 5 years

Same thing happened with me — I knew the gravy train would end at some point and really I'm grateful for the terms they gave on it. I think I have about 56TB available now. I don't have to do anything right now, but for me it means NAS building/buying time is gonna come sooner than I'd thought.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm curious what the deal is with raid levels large drives and SSDs. I've been reading that with current drive sizes, you can't really do raid 5 safely and need to do raid 6 or equivalent. Does that mean with a 4 bay DAS thing you'd be better off just doing raid 10 or something? And for SSDs, would a raid 5 with 4 NVMEs in an enclosure be OK or is that also an issue? I swear I read somewhere that raid 4 could be better for SSDs but now I can't find it.

For context, I do freelance video production and have about 50TB of footage I need to store and backup with ongoing needs. Right now, it's local on lots of external disk pairs and the backup copies on Dropbox. But two things have happened: the unlimited dropbox gravy train is going away, and my current camera's bitrate is too high for a single platter drive to playback smoothly. It's around 200MBs, up to 400MBs and rarely pushing more like 800 but I wouldn't likely be that worried about perfect playback in those rare cases.

I'd like to have something like an 8-bay synology with, say, 16tb disks as a bulk main storage, some way to back it up smoothly locally, and then some kind of fast DAS to work off of. Or if the NAS is fast enough over 10G lan I guess I could do that? Good USB-C SSDs are fast enough for everything I do, but they aren't quite big enough for some projects hence some kind of 4 NVME array seems like it could be a good option on that end.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Trying to figure out storage and backup long term for my work stuff, and I'm beginning to think it may be best for me to have two NAS, one at the office and one at home, plus external drives as my storage/backup system vs. something with cloud backup. AWS's deepest storage tier looks doable for me price-wise, but the egress fees are so high if I ever did need to restore I think I would have been better off with a second box.

My question is this: is there a good way to do sync between two locations where one has fast network and the other decidedly does not? I'll have a mix of raw video files that are by far the biggest storage use, and then project files, music, etc. that are much smaller. Each job I do I'd be loading about 1-3 TB of data.

Ideally I'd be able to sync the smaller files automatically over the internet, and then have some way for the systems to mark which bigger files need to be taken to the second location. At this point I'm thinking I'd go with Synology as I'm not sure I want to be going down a truenas rabbit hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
An aspect of my calculation here is that I need to use the files mainly at my office, which has slow internet, so I need some kind of fast bulk storage there regardless and that gives replicating NAS boxes benefits besides just backup. I suppose I could use a smaller DAS array at the office and have a NAS at home backing up to the cloud. In an ideal world I'd use AWS or a tape drive to be my third backup and archive old work that I could live without but don't want to straight up delete.