Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roflsaurus
Jun 5, 2004

GAOooooooh!! RAOR!!!
I'm looking to set up a home file server + bittorrent server with a raid configuration. I'm pretty adept at linux and windows, so I'm not afraid to get down and dirty. I'm not fluent at all with raids though.

I guess my concern is if I go with a software raid (with the OS on a separate physical drive), what happens if the OS shits itself / OS drive dies? Likewise, what if I want to completely upgrade? can I through the 5 or 6 drives in a new box, new mb, etc, and the raid will "just work"? Also, is it easy to dynamically expand RAID 5 arrays via the command line / etc?

Do I need to pre-plan for this occasion?

I was thinking of setting up a base OS with the RAID on it and to serve files via SMB, and then creating a virtual machine to set up a rtorrent + webui client. This then gives me the option of creating more VM's to do anything I want (e.g. set up a LAMP server). Alternatively, I could just run bittorrent in the host OS, but I'd just be worried about if the bittorrent client poo poo itself / got compromised I might hvae to rebuild the box, and hence the array.

To do this, I was thinking of getting 4 x 750 SATA drives for a RAID 5, have a 40gb linux OS array, and then use two spare 320 IDE drives as a bittorrent "scratch" disk. I.e. when bittorrnet has finished downloading, copy the files into my file structure on the RAID (so I can rename and make the file structure pretty).

See any problems with this? Anything I should look out for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roflsaurus
Jun 5, 2004

GAOooooooh!! RAOR!!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

It is supposed to, in fact, 'just work' with minimal tweaking - I haven't had to test it yet, but your proposed setup is extremely similar to mine - 4x500GB in RAID5, 2x250GB in RAID0 as a scratch drive for torrents / whatever.

do you have any links on how to recover from a software raid array on another machine? i'd like to see how easy / hard / problematic it is before i decide software or hardware raid.

roflsaurus
Jun 5, 2004

GAOooooooh!! RAOR!!!
With a linux software raid array, how would I go about re-installing the base os? if i had a separate IDE OS drive, and a 3 750gb SATA drives in RAID-5, could I just reformat the IDE drive, re-install linux and it would pick up the raid like it was already there, or do I have to issue some commands to mount it?

I was probably thinking of ubuntu server as the base os, but may want to re-install a different distro at a later date.

roflsaurus
Jun 5, 2004

GAOooooooh!! RAOR!!!

WickedMetalHead posted:

I have this exact setup, debian installed on a 250GB IDE and a software raid5 done with mdadm of 3 x 750 GB SATA drives.

I also just yesterday resintalled Debian. All i did was format and reinstall back onto the OS drive, leaving the 3 750gb drives alone, then once i was back in the os, apt-get install mdadm, and it detected and rebuilt /dev/md0 on its own, then it was just a matter of adding a line to fstab.

That's exactly what I needed to here. I'll probably give it a test in a VM first, but yeah, it was the only issue I was concerned about.

Also, what do you guys use for automatic monitoring on headless boxes? I was thinking of writing a cron script to check drive status / usage, but also maybe other stuff like available apt updates, etc. If someone has one already written it would save me some time.

roflsaurus
Jun 5, 2004

GAOooooooh!! RAOR!!!
So I've finally got the spare cash to splurge on my home file server / headless torrent box.

I've got a spare 1300mhz athlon box floating around, but I'm not sure how well it would suit the task. For starters, I'd need to get a PCI SATA card, and probably a new power supply as the current one is noisy as hell. Plus, I don't know what the driver support for the MB would be like under linux, seeing as it's so old. What do you think?

If I were to go a new box, what MB would you recommend? I'd be looking for 6 sata ports primarily, and preferably 2 IDE channels, that's it really. Gig-e lan would be nice, but not required.

I saw the earlier recommendation of the Gigabyte P35-DS3R, but I can't find it anywhere near where I live (or via online retailers). Anything else that's reasonably budget priced fit the bill?

Also, if you're going for the quiet-pc route, do you usually go for aftermarket CPU coolers? I saw the Zalman quiet PSU range, and I think I'll get one of those cause they're reasonably priced as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roflsaurus
Jun 5, 2004

GAOooooooh!! RAOR!!!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Remember that drives pull the most power at spinup, and I'm pretty sure a 3.5" hard drive will pull more than 8 watts at spinup.

How do you stagger the spin up of drives? Does this require a BIOS that supports staggered spin ups?