Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
I'm trying to make a small nas for my home that I will be upgrading later on down the road. I have a 160gb and 120gb drive right now that I'm going to use, however, I will take those out and add in 2 750s in 2 months or so. My hardware is Via Vb7001 motherboard(1.5ghz C7-D processor and 1gb ram). I also have a 2gb flash drive that it can boot off. What OS should I run for making this computer a nas? I'd rather just have a web interface to configure the drives.

I've looked at unRaid and freenas. unRaid won't boot and freenas seems to halt right after booting. I know the hardware is good as this computer has run clarkconnect, ubuntu, and windows xp. I wish there was a trial of NasLite-usb, but I can't find one anywhere. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
Well I ended up going with NASLite. There wasn't any trial so I just had to purchase it($29us). Turns out that it is almost utter crap. Most of the time after enabling and formatting a drive, after you restart to actually start using the disk, it doesn't recognize that the disk is enabled and formatted so it just ignores it.

Everything must be done through a telnet interface. It has a really nice web interface but you can't change ANY settings through it. You can only view the status ( disk temp, proc usage, disk usage, network settings). I couldn't even find an option to set the network to DHCP. I wish there would have been a trial so I didn't waste the 30 bucks. I'm probably going to move my system over to freenas asuming I can get it working with my VIA VB7001G motherboard.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
I'm using FreeNAS at work and as long as your hardware is supported, it seems to be a great system. Much, much easier to use than naslite. You can also configure it using web interface.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
NasLite Trip Report
I purchased NasLite2-USB almost a month ago(29.99usd). I finally got around to purchasing a new case to put together my own little nas box.

Specs:
Via VB7001G Motherboard/CPU (1.5Ghz C7-D, integrated video, lan, audio, 2xsata, 2xide) 89.99 (fry's)
1.0 Gigabyte DDR2 667 25.99(fry's)
Dlink Gigabit nic 25.99 (fry's)
Antec Mid Tower case w/ 380 watt "earth watts" power supply 99.99 (bestbuy)
re-used optical drive(dvdrw) ( power unplugged)
160gb sata hdd
120gb ide hdd
80gb ide hdd
2gb memorex usb flash drive(boot drive)

I'm planning on getting a 500gb western digital gp drive when they go on sale at bestbuy.

On to the walkthrough..
After the installation is complete, you're given a web interface to check drive status and download files. There is no option of password protecting web interface. :(

Here is the main status screen. It allows you to see networking settings and service status(enable or disabled).
You cannot change ANY settings from the web interface. Information only goes one way with NasLite's web interface.

The only way to change settings is through the telnet interface.

Don't forget to save your settings after EVERY change because if you don't and you restart or shutdown, the settings are lost.
Also, you have to restart for for the settings to be changed.

Setting up network/disk/services

Disk Settings:
"exporting disk" means making it usable on your network. yea, yea, I know "exporting"?

Network Settings:
Pretty straight forward.. oh wait where is the option for DHCP? oh yea there isn't one.

Services Settings:
Again, pretty straight forward. Read/write, read, or off. Those are the only possible settings to change.

So, how does this all look for the user? Well each disk has a number and the only shares are "disk-1", "disk-2", etc. There is no option to make a new share or share just a folder. You must share the whole disk, no options. No users either, everything is completely open. There is no authentication at all.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
I haven't yet. I have guests coming this weekend so I probably won't be able to do it until Sunday night, but I'll work on it.

EDIT: Is there any software to benchmark a nas or do I just drop files and record speeds?

Dobermaniac fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 13, 2008

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
Has anyone ran one of the 323's under a kill-a-watt? How much power do these things use while idle and under load?

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
Well I ditched the naslite software. It really was a pile of poo poo. I got a trial copy of windows home server and will be giving that a go. At least I can test this software out before I buy it.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
My wife is looking to buy me a DNS323 for my birthday. I already have a 500gb western digital and a 160gb samsung. Should I be waiting for a new model or anything before she purchases it?

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004

w_hat posted:

I just built a server that is maxing out my gigabit ethernet at around 100MB/s, what's the next step up networking wise?

Is this a server in your home?
If so, just wondering... what do you do to max this out enough that you're looking for a solution?

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004

politicorific posted:

A friend wants me to put together a NAS for him on the cheap.

How awful of an idea is it to use one of the new Intel Atom platforms to run windows xp (linux is too complicated for him) along with a 4 sata port pci card and 6 hard drives max with windows running off a flash card. Looking to simply serve files and probably not bother with raid. Will an atom 330 have enough power for this? A motherboard+cpu is about $70 off newegg.

Take a look at this guide. I know it has a lot of stuff he probably won't need, but it does show how to get a quick / easy file server up and running.
http://www.ulverston.myzen.co.uk/mini-itx/pages/hardware.htm
(Just switch the motherboard from the via to the atom and it is about the same)
I had clark connect running in standalone mode for a while with open shares on my network. I used the atom330 2gb ram, and a 500gb sata drive. Everything worked great. I just moved to windows home server though.

You'll probably read this in the reviews but the fan on the atom chipset is loving horrible and will probably start going out after about 2 weeks of use.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
This one gets hot. There is no fan on the CPU, just one on the chipset. I think it's necessary.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004

tehschulman posted:

Yeah, I'll probably run WHS for a bit, but I'm interested in people's experiences with FreeNAS and NASlite on this box. I'm native to Linux, not BSD, but want to know to what extent I can perform some of the tasks that WHS can perform under another server (running utorrent, home automation functions, process monitoring, etc)

Please God do not get naslite. I purchased the usb version about 9 months ago and it is complete crap. The only way to configure it is through telnet and the only thing you can do is share an entire drive. No raid, replication is done through rsync once a day at any time. The web interface is barely worth even ever looking at. It was a terrible product and I wish I would have never purchased it. Save your money :)

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004

devmd01 posted:

3. I really don't want to pay for NASLite

I skimmed through the posts after this one and didn't see anything about it. Don't buy naslite. It is complete crap. It is much easier to setup freenas or ubuntu than to try and gouge your eyes out with naslite. You have to do everything in naslite through telnet/ssh. The web interface only goes one way. Information is only passed to the user and you can't do anything from it. Hell if you can get a download for the cd, you can have my cdkey for the software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
3TB Western Digital Reds are on sale at Newegg for 139.99 right now. Limit 5 using promo code EMCYTZT2982

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236344